Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Cleaned EGR pipe yesterday.... {Update, Cleaned EGR too...}

59K views 48 replies 30 participants last post by  OregonSlimMF 
#1 ·
I hope this is the forum for posting this and if it's been detailed before I'll apologize now...

After reading a number of comments here regarding the EGR pipes I figured I 'd take a look at mine..
For reference motor is the 3.2 V6 in my 01 RODEO.

The logical way to reach the pipe seemed to be by removing the TB so that's what I did.
In this PIC I have unplugged the connectors that were in my way as well as removed the tube going to the A/Box.. This connector BTW was a bit tricky but I was careful and once figured out how to release the connector it was no biggy.. (btm R in Pic)

Another veiw showing that I also disconnected the temp sending unit so it would also be out of my way..

Remove the 4-10 mm bolts and the TB comes right off.. At this point I disco'd the two coolant lines and can say for sure with my rig that was the most difficult aspect of the entire little project.. Be careful removing these lines, breaking/cutting one will put you out of commission until replaced..
This is the L/Side of the line, I removed the line from both places here to clean the fitting so it will come off easier next time, there is another similar line o the R/Side of theTB as well but I didn't get a PIC of that..

Here the TB is off and I have a flixible cleaning brush in the pipe.. I ran the brush in and out a couple times, hit it W/Deep Creep, let it soak for a few minutes then flushed it out W/more Deep Creep using one of those blue shop type paper towels to catch all the crud that came out..

In these two PICS I show the cleaned TB, at this point it was hosed down W/Carb cleaner & Deep Creep then scrubbed with a small parts brush..

Almost back together, BTW tools needed were few and I removed and reinstalled the TB using a 1/4" ratchet..

ALL done... :wink:

This time it prolly took me about an hour from start to finish.. As mentioned the coolant lines were a PITA & I'm sure I can do it again in 30 min no prob now that I've done it once..

The CARFAX from this vehicle shows the "Induction" system was "Serviced" @ 78K miles at a TOYO Dealership. I wonder what exactly that consisted of? The intake itself doesn't look too bad to me but I'm going to run some SEAFOAM in my fuel for the next tank just the same.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, nice write-up! I have run into a few people asking where the pipe is so this is a good reference!

Reactions: simm55845
#3 ·
Did you also clean out the EGR valve? The pintle can get caked with carbon and stick.

Reactions: simm55845
#4 ·
Mediamonkey11 said:
Wow, nice write-up! I have run into a few people asking where the pipe is so this is a good reference!
Thank you, if it helps anyone even a little I would be pleased..

Dae said:
Did you also clean out the EGR valve? The pintle can get caked with carbon and stick.
Didn't do it yet but it's on my list, may do it this afternoon or tomorrow.. Looks pretty simple to remove and I do want to see what kinda shape it's in.. Pretty much just doing this stuff so I have a baseline for future refference and to make sure I'm GTG now..
Thanks for the tip though...

#6 ·
FNFAL308 said:
Didn't do it yet but it's on my list, may do it this afternoon or tomorrow.. Looks pretty simple to remove and I do want to see what kinda shape it's in.. Pretty much just doing this stuff so I have a baseline for future refference and to make sure I'm GTG now..
Thanks for the tip though...
No worries, its actually good to do both, since the pipe runs from the EGR through the intake manifold.
It really is easy to remove the EGR valve, its just the two bolts that you see. Its a common GM type, so you can grab a gasket anywhere.
I clean it the same as you, but I plug the pipe in the intake, then spray carb cleaner down the EGR side and let it soak.

There are some pics and directions here. Just go to the first question.
http://www.isuzufaq.com/

#7 ·
Had some free time this A.M. and decided to do the EGR too..
It was really easy and didn't take long at all (maybe 30 min).. Before I started however I did hit Autozone the other day to pick up an EGR gasket just in case. BTW Bennett Auto (if local for you) did NOT stock this gasket??

Anyway here is a PIC of the EGR.. After I unplugged the connector & using a 1/2" X 3/8" socket and extention I broke the two bolts holding it on loose and removed it.

With the EGR off I cleaned the surface using a razor blade, then removed the A/BX tube to gain access to the EGP pipe.. I aready had a plan for what I would use to shoot Deep Creep through the tube and as I suspected it worked perfectly.. :wink:
Sorry for the crappy PIC here...

I owned/operated my own Motorcycle DYNO service for 12 years and have a few of these carb overflow lines in my tool box.. They are the perfect size to slide into the pipe and also for the spray straw on the other end.. BTW, I did hold the B/Fly open (w/a round of ammo) so as to not pinch the hose. :twisted:

Here we have a good clean and unrestricted flow through the EGR pipe, guess I did a good job the other day.

EGR cleaned (it wasn't bad at all) and ready for reassembly.

Gasket although in good shape was replaced, for $2.00 it wasn't worth dickin with.

Everything I used is in this PIC, except the never seize I applied to the 2~EGR Mounting bolts.. Anti Seize is something I use a LOT in what I do and figured it would be good here as well..

I chose to reassemble using 1/4" drive stuff, I like the feel I get when doing anything exhaust related.. 1/4" Tight should be GTG here...

ALL DONE! "If" the LAST PIC looks like the first it should, their the same. :eek:ccasion5:

#9 ·
5 th rodeo said:
great write up , can you tell if it runs better?
While I'd love to tell you it made a huge diff, I must admit I'm not sure I noticed much really.. I think it does seem a bit better, but honestly it may be nothing more then wishful thinking??

However I think it important to note I did NOT do this because I had a Run prob or an EGR "CODE".. Having recently purchased this rig I did it mostly to inspect the EGR system and so that I would have a baseline for future inspections..

FWIW, I "can" say it didn't hurt anything and even though I work with engines and hand tools everyday I think it was all well within the DYI realm for pretty much anyone with a little knowledge and skill with engines and hand tools.

I'm glad I did this little project if for no other reason then piece of mind, but also because next time I figure I can do it PDQ... :wink:

#10 ·
I want to thank everyone for their input in this thread. I had been having some off and on CEL issues developing over the past year or so. It would come and go. I also began to notice that my 2001 Trooper just wasn't running as good as it once was. I was thinking that a tuneup was in order when I found this thread.

I removed the EGR and found it heavily carboned. I removed the throttle body and saw that my tube was actually clogged completely. I sprayed lots of B12 cleaner through the EGR side intake hole until it loosened up the gunk and then ran a coat hanger with progressively more duct tape on it through the tube until it was completely open and clear. Sprayed the throttle body clean and reassembled everything.

When I started the car I was amazed. The light went off and the old trooper ran like it did the day I bought her in June of 2001. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to all of you for the help and motivation to do this simple task. Start to finish was about 45 minutes. I can't wait to see if it changes my mpg...

Cheers.

Jim

#11 ·
jimstl99 said:
I want to thank everyone for their input in this thread. I had been having some off and on CEL issues developing over the past year or so. It would come and go. I also began to notice that my 2001 Trooper just wasn't running as good as it once was. I was thinking that a tuneup was in order when I found this thread.

I removed the EGR and found it heavily carboned. I removed the throttle body and saw that my tube was actually clogged completely. I sprayed lots of B12 cleaner through the EGR side intake hole until it loosened up the gunk and then ran a coat hanger with progressively more duct tape on it through the tube until it was completely open and clear. Sprayed the throttle body clean and reassembled everything.

When I started the car I was amazed. The light went off and the old trooper ran like it did the day I bought her in June of 2001. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to all of you for the help and motivation to do this simple task. Start to finish was about 45 minutes. I can't wait to see if it changes my mpg...

Cheers.

Jim
Hey Jim~
GONGRATS on the FIX, glad to know your rig is again running like it should.. It's good to know all is well once more, it aint a bad job and I was hopeful the PICS may be helpful..
If all or part of this thread was useful I'm really glad to hear it..

This is a brand new game for me (The ISUZU) but I must say that this is a great forum with a BUNCH of good info (and PEEPS) so if any part of my thread was in some way helpful to you and others in the future I'm quite pleased. :eek:ccasion5:

#12 ·
Just thought I would followup and let everyone know that this simple fix raised my MPG from the typical 12mpg to an average of 15.5mpg over my past 3 tanks of gas. Nothing else was changed.

Thanks again for the write-up.

cheers.

jim in stl

#14 ·
Excellent write-up!
At 160,xxx miles I believe I'm long overdue for this little cleaning.

#15 ·
I may have to try this as well. Two questions, can you do this without removing the TB, with the butterfly held open?; and if I have a old gun cleaning kit lying around, which caliber brush do you think would work the best if at all?

#16 ·
lummoxmind said:
I may have to try this as well. Two questions, can you do this without removing the TB, with the butterfly held open?; and if I have a old gun cleaning kit lying around, which caliber brush do you think would work the best if at all?
It would be easier to just remove the TB. More clearance. I didnt even disconnect the coolant hoses when I did mine.
4 small bolts, and be done with it. I went ahead and replaced the gasket while I was there.

#17 ·
lummoxmind said:
If you look at the second part of my post you'll note reference to the hose I used to spray SEAFOAM through the EGR pipe.. If you have a flexible brush like in my PICS, or one of those flexible rifle cleaning rigs (Kit and Caboodle er something like that) & a .22 cal bore brush I suppose you could do the same thing..

Yea, you could clean it w/out removing the T/B as Dae noted but I wanted the TB off & in my hands so I could clean it anyway so that's just how I chose to do it.. The Coolant lines were a bit if a PITA but not really a big deal, they will come off much easier next time I'm pretty sure if that..

#19 ·
You shouldnt need to order the EGR gasket. Its a common GM type. My local Oreillys/Shucks had both gaskets it stock.
Unless you're shooting for OEM parts.

#21 ·
all those pictures are great! It helps alot, but I have more questions for this. I have a 2003 rodeo with the v-6 also. Yesterday after a short drive in the heat I tried to start it and would not crank, then started with very rough idle and died. The reduced power light and the CEL came on, Pulled code and 0401 and 1290 were there. I deceided to clean the throttle tube as described. when I took of the throttle bodie it appeared as though there is some sort of screen over the end of the tube? I have not seen any mention of this. I proceeded to take egr off and clean with carb spray and blow through with air. Still seemed to have screen on end of tube. Reassembled and started with high idle at first and then after driving appears to run fine. Reduced power light went off and I cleared codes.
Is the 1290 code associated with this also or is it something else?
Thanks

#26 ·
95Rodeo4x4 said:
johnnyquattlebaum said:
BTW what's a TB?
I am going to assume he meant Timing Belt :D
Tsk Tsk... When intake system is the topic TB normally means Throttle Body.

~psguardian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.