Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Correct PSI for 245 70r16 mostly highway travel

15K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  GoldieTroopa 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello!

I'm ignorant here. :D I bought my beloved 2000 Trooper LS last year, I let someone borrow it and they blew a tire. I never checked the spare (I know) and lo and behold it's a much smaller tire than the others, AND it was flat.

Anyway.....I mostly travel on the highway with it. What is the correct tire pressure for the front and back on 245 70r16 tires please and thank you!

Jennifer

#4 ·
on the sidewall of the tire it will have a MAXIMUM INFLATION OF XX P.S.I.

p245/ 70r16 is the correct size.

try them at 35 psi. a little more air in them helps with fuel mileage, and helps get rid of the '' marshmallow'' tire effect.

i have larger, 6 ply tires, and i run them at 45 psi in summer, and 35 psi in winter.

remember the ford explorer issues? way to low of psi from factory, caused many tire failures and injuries / deaths- firestone was the scapegoat in that situation. ford LOWERED the psi, to make the explorer ride better- wich in turn, made them into ford
''exploders''

years ago my family owned a tire shop, when all this firestone tire recall was going on. firestone never really made a great tire, but then coupled with low operating psi , made the tires overheat and the casing would seperate from the tread, or a sidewall blow-out from the excessive heat. which could have been averted by ford, by increasing the psi in the tires.

#6 ·
You can try 35ps. You may not like it.

Different tires have different habits. I used to run my old Toyo tires (245-70/16) at 34. 36 or more was too harsh, 32 a little soft/marshmallow.

But now I have brand-new Hankook and they are much more advanced than the (old generation) Toyo's. 32 is very happy with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.