Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Snowflakes: 15" or 16" which and why?

6K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  hessmess 
#1 ·
Hi all,

So in my scrounging around, I have sourced two sets of snowflakes and I don't know which way to go.

All will need sanding and refinishing (either paint or powercoat).

The 15s are a set of 5.

The 16s are a set of 4.

Price on alloy wheel w/tire is around $40 each.

Would love to hear any opinions or experiences.

Thank you in advance,
Curtis (Boise Trooper)

#2 ·
As I recall, the 15s had several diffent offsets, with 16S there is only one. You might want to check that your OK with the offset before purchasing.

Reactions: BoiseTrooper
#4 ·
You will be in for some long tedious work restoring them yourself. I tried going that route and after doing one I took the other 4 and got them done. Cost was over 100 per wheel. You can paint them yourself with wheel paint, but if you want them to look like oem wheels it's going to be a long road. You will have to remove the old clearcoat and that will take many coats of paint remover.

Attachments

#5 ·
itsmehb said:
You will be in for some long tedious work restoring them yourself. I tried going that route and after doing one I took the other 4 and got them done. Cost was over 100 per wheel. You can paint them yourself with wheel paint, but if you want them to look like oem wheels it's going to be a long road. You will have to remove the old clearcoat and that will take many coats of paint remover.
Those sure look nice. I went and looked at the wheels again last night. And yes, the clear coat is trashed. I was planning on just sanding the crap out of them and painting black but by the time I am done, it might be easier to just buy a set of black Pro Comps.

I appreciate your input (as always)
-Curtis

#6 ·
mudoilngears said:
As I recall, the 15s had several diffent offsets, with 16S there is only one. You might want to check that your OK with the offset before purchasing.
Do the 15s have several different offsets???

I'm searching for a 15 snowflake to make a complete set of 5. This is a first for me in hearing there are several different offsets available for the 15s. Can anyone else confirm this statement? I hate to purchase a wheel that has a different offset from the others.

#7 ·
I hadn't heard that before, I always heard they were all neutral offset.

#8 ·
Perhaps I am confused, I may have gotten mixed up with the debate about whether the 16's are all neutral offset. (they aren't).

#10 ·
Personally I wish I went with 16's. 15's work fine and fit great but there is so much more tire choice with a 16" wheel. In either case I really like the OEM rims. They are well made and very sturdy. To refinish them I just sandblasted them at my local U-Blast and then used Etching Primer and Black wheel paint.

#11 ·
I looked at getting some wheels refinished myself, there are several places in Boise that do that. I think it was about 120 each. I have also done a set myself. Fair amount of work. I will tell you about it when I see you again. In fact they are on my space cab there in Boise. Done in 2015 and haven't touched them since. And it shows, but I didn't clear coat them again.
Dick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.