Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Another 91 for me

81K views 212 replies 19 participants last post by  giusedtobe 
#1 ·
I had been looking for a replacement for my 91 since I had done a trans conversion last year. While under there I found more rust than I wanted to deal with. So I set my sights on a late 1st Gen to drop all my parts into and have a good running Trooper. I wanted to get an LS with all the bells and whistles and a 5 speed.
I found this one on KSL.com out of Salt Lake. The Trooper spent a good amount of time in the Portland area and a lot of time being towed behind an RV. The guy told me it was rust free and tip top condition, just a blown trans. It has some rust and the blown trans I think is blown T case. We made a deal and I went and picked it up last week. It had not run for some time as all the pulleys had surface rust on them and the rotors are rusty also. I got it home and stuck a battery in it and in a couple of minutes had it running. Yesterday I pulled the trans and today the plan is to pull the engine. I am putting the drivetrain out of the rusty one into this one. I had built the engine up a few years ago and it only has 10K on it. The replacement trans if coming from the rusty one also, as I have had no issues with it since I put it in. All of this has to be done in time for my Moab trip in early May. I have my work cut out for me that is for sure. Here are a couple of picts.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I didn't get the engine out as planned today, but it is loose. I have to work on the exhaust bolts a bit more and then it should pop out. Everything else is loose.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
100_9862.JPG
Came home from work and got the two downpipes on the exhaust off, then decided to see if the engine would come out ok. It is tight in the garage so I have to get the picker just right. Took a minute or two but that engine is now on the garage floor. Next weekend I get to do the same thing to the rusty Trooper.

Attachments

#4 ·
Awesome! I really need to come over to Elko and visit your garage at some point. Maybe this summer. I want to camp around Ruby Lake again. Maybe we can make a weekend out of it.

Bart

EDIT: So, do you have a dead 5-speed sitting there now? I kinda have a need for a part out of the transfer case if you plan to part it out. I broke a shift arm in the 5-speed from my RS when I was attempting to replace the stock gears.

#5 ·
And I want to get to the Reno area, but every time I get there it is a hurry hurry thing. I was there in Oct. for my daughters wedding so they would of not seen the humor of seeing more Troopers!
Yes I have a dead trans, but I am not sure if it was the trans or the t-case that went bad, in any event it is yours. I also have a t-case from an auto. Just let me know and even if you want me to pull it apart and just send you a couple of parts that would be fine by me.
There is little to no snow in the Rubies now and Harrison Pass has been passable almost all winter.. unreal.
Right now I am focused on getting this new to me Trooper put together for Moab in May. After that I am available most of the time.

#7 ·
wmorrisiii said:
Looks like a nice solid Trooper! And is getting a sweet engine, hope this goes a long time when you get it all set up.
Yeah this engine is running great now, I had some problems with it early on and finally got them worked out. I took the rusty trooper out for its final run today. It is almost out of gas and I don't want to feed it anymore, It is kind of sad putting it down but its drivetrain will run for years to come. I have had this one Trooper for about 7 years now and have learned tons on it. But I am really excited about getting the new one on the road and more importantly, on the trails!

#10 ·
I got after things this morning and now have the other trans sitting in the garage, even pressure washed it so it will look clean for a day or two. No picture today, gotta get ready to take my father-in-law out for his 91st birthday. Tomorrow my kids are in from Denver area so no more progress for the weekend. But Grampa is going to have some fun with the kiddos.

#11 ·
Only one small thing done today, got the title straightened out. It is now in my name. Kind of an important thing.

#13 ·
Off topic

not this ain't cool, cuz it certainly is.....but it's not spacecab cool.

You get the spacer sold? Or keeping it a bit longer to finish this project, then be rid of herm

#14 ·
Yes I still have the Spacer, there are a couple of things I want to fix before I try to get serious about selling it. And I am using it to go back and forth to work. All my time is on the Trooper right now so yes I will get serious after I get back from Moab in the middle of May. Thanks for asking!

#15 ·
Had a few hours today and my son-in-law wanted to help out some so we pulled the LSD out of the rusty Trooper and got it installed in the new Trooper, very happy about that! Tomorrow I pull the engine and get it cleaned up.

#16 ·
I have a feeling I'll need to pull the engine from Zoe's Trooper before too long in order to plug up some oil leaks... is removing the V6 engine along the same basic lines as removing the 2.6? i.e: just identify all of the items to unbolt and/or disconnect, then lift it out?

Jonathan

#17 ·
shaggydoink said:
I have a feeling I'll need to pull the engine from Zoe's Trooper before too long in order to plug up some oil leaks... is removing the V6 engine along the same basic lines as removing the 2.6? i.e: just identify all of the items to unbolt and/or disconnect, then lift it out?Jonathan
It should be pretty close to the same Jon. Might even be easier as you won't have to deal with clutch (be sure to unbolt the torque convertor from the flywheel and lightly pry back to make sure it releases from the center of the crankshaft) and IIRC, the 2.8 oil pan clears a little more easily that the 2.6 "criss-cross" oil pan. If possible, unbolt as many accessories and lay them aside under the hood still attached to the body by their hoses (p.s., A/C, etc). Might find it easier to lift the rear of the engine to access the heater core hoses if unhooking them at the firewall. Dennis

Reactions: shaggydoink
#18 ·
Exactly as Dennis has said, the fact that it is an auto makes it that much easier. Those hoses he mentioned don't have to come off at the firewall if you don't want to. They are bolted to the engine by one bolt on the back of each head, if those are removed and only disconnected from the engine you can pull the engine and leave them there. But replace then once the engine is out. That is my plan.

#19 ·
Well the weekend is over and the engine is out. But found a problem on the manifold, it appears it is leaking antifreeze out the back. I found this while I was trying to find where the darned oil leak is coming from. They seem to be coming from the same spot. So I ordered a manifold gasket set and valve cover gaskets. Just more to do in the same amount of time. I will be out of town for a few days to boot! I did this 2 years ago trying to solve a vacuum leak. Good thing I have a valve tool so I won't have to adjust the valves. If the parts come in I should be able to get the gaskets replaced by Saturday morning and get the engine dropped back in. If not I will be ready anyway and there a lots of other things I want to get installed too. Sliders, shackle lift, tires, brakes, shocks, stereo, CB. And it goes on! Couple of pictures of the weekend. Enjoy!

Attachments

#20 ·
Oh and to top it off, the DMV sent me back the title, they forgot to have me sign it so now I have to go back and wait another couple of hours to get this straightened out. It should only take 5 minutes once I get to the window. I keep telling myself that life is good.

#23 ·
Bart,
The DMV here is really not all that bad, except for today. About the time I got to the window the computers went down. Overall it was about 2 hours of my life I gave the state of Nevada. (again)

Jonathan,
A lot of the parts are being swapped. The sliders are new as well as the stereo. Everything else has been rebuilt or replaced in the last few years.

#24 ·
Spent most of Saturday on the Trooper, got the intake manifold gaskets replaced and then dropped into the engine compartment and loosely bolted down. I have a couple of pictures and will post some soon. I might get the trans back in today, but I have a mess to clean up on the floor before I start crawling around down there again. Lacking ambition today too

#26 ·
Thanks for asking Brad. It is not going all that good, but slowly progressing. As of now the engine, transmission, and G80 are in. Still have some bolting to do but really hope to have it fired up by next weekend. Had to fix other stuff this weekend and only spent about an hour on it the entire weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.