Isuzu SUV Forum banner

1990 Spacecab Restoration and Diesel/WVO Conversion

10K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  comerz 
#1 ·
Hey guys, a while back I posted several pics of my spacecab but never got into much detail so this will be my official build thread.

In 2010 I bought a 1984 Isuzu P'up LS with a Diesel C223 with the intention of converting it to Waste Vegetable oil from the start. When checking it out I saw patches of surface rust on the body but wasn't real concerned since its a common issue on older Japanese cars. After buying it for $400 I took it back home and discovered the rust was much worse then I thought, the frame had rusted from the inside out and was looking like it was about to snap. I located a red 1990 Spacecab from a local junk yard and hauled it home with not motor, just the tranny. After a year of on and off work, I finally got the conversion worked out, along with collecting several donor trucks to help out. I painted it black but had no idea what I was doing and didn't prep it or have any ventilation so its covered in over-spray. Long story short, I've used it since then as my daily driver, and its performed great especially in the harsh Alaskan terrain that I live in. I've since started working at an Autobody shop and learned the correct way to paint a car and do body work so here are the pictures from beginning to current, and as I begin restoring my truck ill keep posting pictures.

The 1984 P'up after I scrapped the motor. I didnt think to get a picture before hand.

Right after bringing home the spacecab, the previous owner attempted some body work.

See less See more
#3 ·
Installing the WVO, These are the two Coolant lines and the two Fuel lines, The blue wires are electric soil heating wire that ive tied into my block heater power so when my trucks plugged in it heats my grease lines.

Wrapped in Fiberglass Cloth Insuation

Then wrapped in more Insulation, Afterwards it was wrapped in aluminum sheeting for shielding.

I built a 2-compartment Diamond plate Aluminum box for the bed. One side will be for my Grease tank, and the other side is for my tools. This is the 14-gallon grease tank, its been sprayed with urathane, then covered in undercoating. There is a hole drilled through the box and the bed so the lines can run under the truck. Also shown is the inline WVO filter.

From below, this is the hole through the bed and box

Grease lines following the frame up into the motor

#5 ·
Taping off for priming and painting with Rustoleum, Like I said before, I wasnt sure what I was doing so I didnt do and etch primer, Surface Primer, or scuffing. It started to peel about a month after painting.

Finished product

I made some wooden brackets for some 6x9 speakers, and later added in some Subs

Interior after switching to Bucket seats from a donor truck, I also shampooed the carpets, and installed an Alpine deck.

#7 ·
Was the bench seat original? Looking good so far. Dennis

#10 ·
Cool. Did it still have jump seats in back? I changed my Spacer to a bench seat 'cause sometimes my Honey will like to ride next to me (when she finishes hating the Spacer and me). Never saw one factory w/ a bench. Dennis

#12 ·
Recently drove 400 miles round trip to get a '92 Spacecab with the 2.6 I found on craigslist, I wanted it mostly for the body and the Duraliner in the bed, unfortunately the bed is to wasted to use but the hood doors and fenders are perfect. Psychomidget drove down to get the 2.6 for his trooper which worked out real good since I felt kind of bad having a working motor sitting and going to waste.

When changing my fuel filter I stumbled upon an old OEM filter still in the box that my dad had bought for his P'up back in the 80's.

#14 ·
Costa Rican SWB said:
Great project!
Have you had any problems with cold starts with that WVO system?
Do you mix it with diesel or is it straight WVO?
Great job!!

Mau
No, I have a seperate fuel tank for the WVO that is tied into my fuel lines via valves. About 2 minutes before i get to my destination i flip off the supply WVO switch so I'm supplying diesel and returning to my WVO tank, thus purging the lines of any WVO. When I go to start it the next day the lines are 100% grease free.

It's straight WVO, but sometimes I mix 1 part diesel to 4 parts WVO in the summer.

#15 ·
Richey said:
Costa Rican SWB said:
Great project!
Have you had any problems with cold starts with that WVO system?
Do you mix it with diesel or is it straight WVO?
Great job!!

Mau
No, I have a seperate fuel tank for the WVO that is tied into my fuel lines via valves. About 2 minutes before i get to my destination i flip off the supply WVO switch so I'm supplying diesel and returning to my WVO tank, thus purging the lines of any WVO. When I go to start it the next day the lines are 100% grease free.

It's straight WVO, but sometimes I mix 1 part diesel to 4 parts WVO in the summer.
Interesting!
Now I'm curious, why do you mix it in the summer?

Mau

#20 ·
Greasemonkey gave me some great tips to restoring my corroded snowflakes.

Before/After