90 Amigo teardown...And rebuild (hopefully lol)

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: 90 Amigo teardown...And rebuild (hopefully lol)

Postby mudoilngears » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:35 pm

The runs are definitely in the clear, So I'm hoping I can work them out pretty well. The orange peel is mostly in the clear too, although there is some in the basecoat in some areas. I am more concerned with a few areas having a thinner layer of clear, and I'm afraid of burning through. I'll see how it goes. Here's a before picture for reference.
IMG_4820.JPG

IMG_4859.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, Moog CC247 coils, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 178 times

Sponsor

Postby bsnafu1221 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:27 am

Looks good!! I really like the color and for a first time it looks a million times better that the original paint you had on it, the beat up side looks great. I really like all the work you have done to this Amigo, makes me want to do more to mine. I really am curious how the hard top is coming along.
-Justin

1992 Amigo, 4wd, 2.6l
31x10.5 r15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on Snowflakes

Thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61775
bsnafu1221
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 46 times

Postby shaggydoink » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Keep up the great work!!

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby mudoilngears » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:49 pm

New windshield is in YAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby mudoilngears » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:46 pm

A bit more progress.

Glued in the new windshield with the help of my brother and a friend.
Installed the grille and lights.
It's starting to look like a truck again!

car60.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Jem Andes » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:06 am

mudoilngears wrote:A bit more progress.

Glued in the new windshield with the help of my brother and a friend.
Installed the grille and lights.
It's starting to look like a truck again!

car60.JPG

Good work man. Keep it going. Slowly, but surely. Have tried buffing it yet? Just anxious to see how it comes out.
Jem Andes
Zu Royalty

Postby mudoilngears » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:39 pm

Where the run used to be.... Actually it it still visible faintly...
Photo0322.jpg

Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Re: ...

Postby Jem Andes » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:15 pm

mudoilngears wrote:Where the run used to be.... Actually it it still visible faintly...
Photo0322.jpg

Did you just block sand it out, use the razor blade, or what? It looks good though. Runs are really hard to get out without leaving any indention.
Jem Andes
Zu Royalty

Postby mudoilngears » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Jem Andes wrote:
mudoilngears wrote:Where the run used to be.... Actually it it still visible faintly...
Photo0322.jpg

Did you just block sand it out, use the razor blade, or what? It looks good though. Runs are really hard to get out without leaving any indention.

I scraped most of it off with the razor blade, then sanded it. It still needs a bit of work, as you can see a little ridge still.

Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Jem Andes » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:45 pm

mudoilngears wrote:
Jem Andes wrote:
Photo0322.jpg

I scraped most of it off with the razor blade, then sanded it. It still needs a bit of work, as you can see a little ridge still.

I would suggest wet blocking it. Just keep an eye around the run so that you don't sand thru. Good thing about clear though, it's super easy to repair and blend in. If you use the same kind of clear, there shouldn't be any hue changes. Hope it works out. Send us photos.
Jem Andes
Zu Royalty

Postby mudoilngears » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:13 pm

That's what I've been at for a while this evening, got it pretty well eliminated. Got a question, there's a section, maybe a square foot or less on one fender that I don't thinks has enough clear on it. Can I re spray clear on just that section without sanding off the existing clear?

Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Jem Andes » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:00 am

mudoilngears wrote:That's what I've been at for a while this evening, got it pretty well eliminated. Got a question, there's a section, maybe a square foot or less on one fender that I don't thinks has enough clear on it. Can I re spray clear on just that section without sanding off the existing clear?

Sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, you can just re-clear any section of the car you need with out taking the previously sprayed clear off. Just make sure your sand it with 1200 grit really well. Not burning thru, but you want the whole portion to be opaque. As evenly opaque as possible. Try and not miss any portions.

Also, on any section you burn thru the clear on, make sure you sand enough of the area so that you can spray and feel comfortable. Try and keep it as close to the needed area as possible, but sand enough that you don't pressure yourself and cause more runs.

Now there are two ideas about retouching clear. Here they are:
1) Sand an area, and clear. Letting the overspray dust settle outside of the sanded area. THen after it has cured, go back and buff out all the over spray and re-cleared area. Not my preferred

2) Sand an area larger than you intend to spray. Making sure that you have at least 1-2 inches of sanded area unsprayed. Then let the clear cure. Go back and buff the sanding marks and the new clear to polished look you want. Note: You could sand with as high as 1500 or so. I think 2000 is a bit to fine personally, but many classic restores do it.

One more note: On any minor imperfections in the clear, use 1500 or 2000 to get them out. i.e.: lent, grit, hair... and then buff it. I always suggest wet sanding clear because it helps keep from scratching or maring your clear do buildup on the sand paper. Just make sure that you dry out all the seals,doorjambs, and other stuff on the door. Nothing worse than having water blown up in your clear.

Also rememeber that you can technically buff out up to 800, sometime 600 grit, but you need a lot of clear in place, a steady hand, and a lot of patinence. 1000 and up are typically considered buffable clean coat grits.

Hope this helps some. I'm sure you'll do fine with it. One last note. With re-clearing or color spot touch up, try not to paint up on your tapes, foams, or papers. Even if you sand the line out (feather sand) you'll probably end up with a ghosted line there. That may stay in you run too. It's due to the chemical reaction of the clear on clear and micromic build ups of the paint clear. It creates a visual thickness below the surface. Can't feel it, but you can sometimes see it.
Jem Andes
Zu Royalty

Postby mudoilngears » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks for the tips! I was looking at the section a little closer just now, looks like it got overspray on it or something. In otherwords it's not as thin as I though.

Here are some pics of the part where the run was.
car70.JPG

car71.JPG

Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Jem Andes » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:51 pm

mudoilngears wrote:Thanks for the tips! I was looking at the section a little closer just now, looks like it got overspray on it or something. In otherwords it's not as thin as I though.

Here are some pics of the part where the run was.
car70.JPG

car71.JPG

No problem. I'm glad to help.

That runs section looks good to me. As far as the section that got "overspray" on it goes... If it looks thick enough, keep it. Just sand it lightly (1500 or 2000 wet) and buff it smooth. From what I can see, it looks like a pretty dang good paint job for your first try, and not even in a pro booth. I know "painters" that don't do that good and have been painting for a number of years.

Just keep playing with sanding and spraying techniques. It doesn't have to be whole cars. Fix yours, or your friends fenders, bumpers, doors, mirrors, anything, just to get more practice. Note: painting raw plastic/rubber/polyurethane bumpers, molding, or mirros are a bear. Make sure you prep them correctly before you try and spray them.
Jem Andes
Zu Royalty

Postby mudoilngears » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:04 am

My Sway-Away T-Bars from LOWZONE Today! Yes!
ron.JPG

Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Jem Andes » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:21 pm

mudoilngears wrote:My Sway-Away T-Bars from LOWZONE Today! Yes!
ron.JPG

Glad they got to you and in good shape. Hope you get to put them in soon, and enjoy them.
Jem Andes
Zu Royalty

Postby bradzuzu » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:59 pm

Well curse me kilts I've missed this one dog gone it !! I really like the color !! And now I'm subscribed :)
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 390 times

Postby coldbru » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:58 am

When you get to working on the rubber and plastic parts, I found that using 0000 steel wool soaked in armor all will clean off the oxidized layer and give you a like new finish on virtually everything. I did mirrors, window seals, dash and door panels and they look like new. I'l post pictures on my thread.
1993 Amigo 4 x 4 (Just bought figuring out what to do next)
1990 Amigo dead - Gone
1989 Amigo, rebuilding motor using it to bring my son into the Isuzu Family
"Coldbru" it's a play on my last name , not necessarily my favorite drink. But if you guess the right last name I'll buy you one.
coldbru
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby gb89amigo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:40 am

Mudoilingears,

Perhaps I've missed the answers to these questions, but 1)how did the frozen control arm bushings installation turnout? 2) What model "swayaway" torsion arms did you get? Had a chance to try them out yet?
Otherwise, outstanding body work, innovative dent removal tool/apparatus! Obvious great patience/diligence!

Well done,

GB
'89 Amigo XS RWD, 4ZE1, MUA5, HC6 (Rear Wheel Drive, 2.6L Fuel Injected, 5 spd trans f/ 2.6L and up, 4.56:1 differential 2WD/4WD)
Future: Install the "Big Brake" upgrade, so I don't break things! . Acquired '95 V6 Passport/Rodeo front rotors (11.04") and assemblies. Need to pull G80/LSD rear from '92-'97 Trooper. Got one out of a '95 Trooper LS auto, very clean, only a zillion miles on it!

More FUN!!! :)
gb89amigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 125 times

Postby mudoilngears » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:12 pm

gb89amigo wrote:Mudoilingears,

Perhaps I've missed the answers to these questions, but 1)how did the frozen control arm bushings installation turnout? 2) What model "swayaway" torsion arms did you get? Had a chance to try them out yet?
Otherwise, outstanding body work, innovative dent removal tool/apparatus! Obvious great patience/diligence!

Well done,

GB

GB, the upper control arm bushings went in easily. I used a socket and a big hammer, didn't even have to hit them hard. If you are talking about the lowers, that is another matter, I used a long bolt to "draw" them in. It took a while, but it works.

The T-bars I bought from Ron (Lowzone) who got them in a package deal. They are used so I don't know exactly what model they are. They are stamped 1566 on the end but that is probably a Serial no.

Hoping to get it through inspection next Sat, but I've got a load of things to do yet...

Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby gb89amigo » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Mudoilingears,

Thanks for the bushing update I'll try those procedures when I put mine in. As to the torsion bars, 1566 is the model number. Should be rather firm compared to stock, but let us know your evaluation after you get them in.

Awesome job overall. We all be watching your progress! Best of luck with your inspection.

Cheers,

GB
'89 Amigo XS RWD, 4ZE1, MUA5, HC6 (Rear Wheel Drive, 2.6L Fuel Injected, 5 spd trans f/ 2.6L and up, 4.56:1 differential 2WD/4WD)
Future: Install the "Big Brake" upgrade, so I don't break things! . Acquired '95 V6 Passport/Rodeo front rotors (11.04") and assemblies. Need to pull G80/LSD rear from '92-'97 Trooper. Got one out of a '95 Trooper LS auto, very clean, only a zillion miles on it!

More FUN!!! :)
gb89amigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 125 times

Postby mudoilngears » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:29 pm

Right you are! I checked the Sway Away site and sure enough!

Two reasons I'm running these bars. I'm going to be running a winch and heavy bumper. That alone is 160-180 lbs hanging off the front. Second is, my on-road haunts are narrow curvy hilly roads. I've had enough body-roll driving those roads in my dad's SUV.

I'm hoping the stiffness helps with both issues...

Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Stiffer tb's will be very nice !! You'll notice the difference..
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 390 times

Postby saredx » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:29 pm

you car is one of kind, and nice paint job !
saredx
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Jem Andes » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:35 am

bradzuzu wrote:Stiffer tb's will be very nice !! You'll notice the difference..

I have a trooper but I have to agree with Bradzuzu. My poor old tbars are so bad that even re-indexed they are 1" lower than the lift from the 919 OME springs.
Jem Andes
Zu Royalty

PreviousNext