GoodyMOBB's 92 Rodeo Build

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

GoodyMOBB's 92 Rodeo Build

Postby GoodyMOBB » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:07 am

Got my 92 rodeo up and running. Going to start rebuilding this thing back to it's former glory! So far here is what has been done:

Both motor mounts (apparently I broke them both with my last offroading venture) also lead to a new oil pan/gasket
upper/lower radiator hoses
thermostat
exhaust manifold & gasket (mine was cracked)
timing cover gasket
heater core (pictures to come later with the resulting carpet I've now ripped out)
replaced dash bulbs while it was pulled for the heater core
rear ABS sensor
turn signal switch
both front axle assemblies
front/rear brakes
flushed ALL fluids.
tune up (plugs, wires, rotor/cap)

That's the work so far. I've got a couple leaks left and will get them done when I have the time. Right now I have a power steering leak and a leak from my rear diff (pinion seal I believe). I also have a clicking from the rear end when I turn. Any help on that? Maybe an axle? I will pull it apart and troubleshoot when I get my lift kit from Indy. Also feeling a wheel hop in 4x4 from the front right wheel. I'm hoping the axle fixed it and it's not my transfer case... we will see on that later as well. Also have a crack in the muffler...
Last edited by GoodyMOBB on Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 68 times

Sponsor

Re: Roadworthy Once Again!

Postby GoodyMOBB » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:16 am

WTF am I doing wrong with my images? I'll figure it out later. quick question though. Here is what my rear window looks like:

[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/2cf8chf.jpg[/IMG]

I am missing the metal bracket things that the lift supports hook on to. Was told I needed to replace the entire glass. That true? If so... that blows
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Postby Selahdoor » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:37 am

GoodyMOBB wrote:WTF am I doing wrong with my images? I'll figure it out later. quick question though. Here is what my rear window looks like:

I am missing the metal bracket things that the lift supports hook on to. Was told I needed to replace the entire glass. That true? If so... that blows

I tried to post your image as well. (Actually just quoted it above.)

I got a message that read: "Your images may only be up to 1024 pixels wide."

Try making your images smaller.

As for the rear window, I wouldn't imagine you'd have to replace the entire window just to get the bracket. Try a junkyard, or ebay.
-Jeff
1988 Trooper LS. 4ZE1. mua5.

How can I help you or make you laugh today?
Selahdoor
Forum Admin

Have thanks: 166 times

Postby GoodyMOBB » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:27 pm

Got my pictures working. Had to disable BBCode.. Didnt know that. Here they are.

Passenger Side
Driver Side
Old Carpet (NASTY)
Roof Rust
Floor Pan w/Heat Shield
Floor Pan Scraped and Cleaned
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Postby GoodyMOBB » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:31 pm

I'm getting the door and roof painted in a couple weeks. Also collecting some random parts for replacement. Like these:

Any way to get the color back? Or should I search for replacement?

Got all my seats removed now and I'm about half way done with sound deadening and heat shield. Going to make a junkyard trip to look for some seats next weekend. Hopefully get the interior done some time within the next month. This is a spare vehicle so I'm not in any kind of a hurry... Will be a SLOW build :D
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Postby GoodyMOBB » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:34 pm

Just ordered a new exhaust system. From the manifolds back. Also got PCV valve and 02 sensor. Anything else I should do while replacing the exhaust? Trying to boost gas mileage a bit. Here's some pics of the stereo coming along, should get it finished this weekend. Also a little over halfway done with re-carpeting. Got all but the cargo area done and got the seats put back in. What did I get myself in to?

Heat and Sound Shield:

Before Cutting:

Shallow Mount RF Sub:

Box Built for Space (Not pretty but it fits!)

Fitted after cutting:

My old school amp, a little fried... Ordered new terminal screws and I am on the lookout to find new terminals for it. Phoenix Gold XS2500 I bought around 1999 :D If it doesn't work I'll order something else in.
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Postby psguardian » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:11 am

Nice work!

Question on the sub. Does that box have enough free space for the sub? I have built a few & only on the last one did I check speaker specs for minimum safe free space volumes. My first two attempts ended with smelly smokey speakers (cheap anyway, but an expensive lesson).

~psguardian
The hunt is on, need a new Daily Driver
Dae wrote:Jerry is the Chuck Norris of Isuzu's, he could build one blind folded with one arm behind his back if he had to. :lol:

PNW Zoo Facebook Group
psguardian
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 26 times

Postby GoodyMOBB » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:25 am

The sub calls for 0.40 cu ft and im at 0.27 cu ft. Going to stuff it with polyfill and see how it responds. I didn't want to use anything but 3/4 mdf since it'll be taking around 500 watts. But if its acting sluggish or not sounding right ill go to plan B.
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Postby psguardian » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:03 pm

Good sounds like you've already thought about that then, just wanted to ve sure you didn't end up letting out the 10ohm smoke lol.

~psguardian
The hunt is on, need a new Daily Driver
Dae wrote:Jerry is the Chuck Norris of Isuzu's, he could build one blind folded with one arm behind his back if he had to. :lol:

PNW Zoo Facebook Group
psguardian
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 26 times

Postby GoodyMOBB » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:32 pm

Havent updated in a while. Been a rough few weeks with this terd of a rodeo. So I got the front carpet in and the seats back in. Built a second box that fits better in the cubby and im just wrapping up the trunk. I alsothe got allthe the doorsfront lined with thethe heat/sound shield. My project for this weekend is getting the exhaust in. I have a complete system from the manifolds back just sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.

Couple problems... the power steering leak... ugh! Looks like I need a new rack. Pretty pissed about it.

Also, while dismantling everything to take it in to paint I found rust under the trim of the rear quarter panel window. And its pretty bad. If it can't be grinded out then I might be chopping the back end off. Crossing my fingers on that for now. Either way I've got to get it out of the garage. Wifey isn't too happy now that its starting to get cold outside with parking in the driveway.

Gotta replace my rear pinion seal this weekend too. Then start trying to figure out my trans and transfer case leaks.

At this point im on a mission! Wish me luck...
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Postby GoodyMOBB » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Time for a little back story on this rodeo before I admit something quite embarrassing but funny...

I bought this rodeo my senior year of highschool with 89k miles on it for something like $6k (back in 2000). The first car I bought and paid for with summer jobs and working through school. It was rallied pretty hard and neglected for years. I was a poor kid and didn't have money to fix her up. Just patch work and fixed what was necessary to keep it on the road.

Fast forward a few years and the rodeo is in bad shape. Lots of problems and the chance to buy a very nice 2001 audi a6 for far under blue book (from a friends mom) and the rodeo becomes a spare vehicle parked and sitting only to be driven by the occasional friend or family member that needs to borrow her short term.

Then the lucky day! My wife totals the audi back in 08!!! And the revival begins. The extra cash from the insurance gets the rodeo up and running again. And then... baby on the way. Trade in her car for an 06 cherokee and the rodeo gets put aside once again because of finances.

Now things have settled and the slow process is well on its way. But while doing some tickering last night I got to looking over the ,suspension to see what I need. And I notice the isuzu STOCK front. shocks. Got a little embarrassed but got a good laugh about it.

This rodeo is the definition of neglect. But I love it, always will. Its time for her 20 year makeover.
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Postby lagwagon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:13 pm

That's a really great idea on mounting a box!

Is your sub a 10"?
We have similar stuff... I've got a 12" RF P3 and an old school Orion (not quite as cool as Phoenix Gold!!) amp.
I'd love to do this but really doubt a 12 would fit anywhere good.

Keepin' an eye on this thread because I'm very curious to see what you do with the rest of the speakers :)
'84 Chevy K5 Blazer (M1009), 6.2 Diesel
'89 Chevy Suburban, 6.2 Diesel
lagwagon
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Roadworthy Once Again! (My 92 Rodeo Build)

Postby GoodyMOBB » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:48 am

Finally had a day off to wrench on this bad boy! Got a little bit of work done since my last update:

Exhaust system is replaced! But I have to take it in to the shop... One of the downpipes doesn't line up with the y-pipe. "Direct replacement" my arse! Got to get a pipe bent.
Got my hub fixed. 4 wheel drive is working again! One of the inner springs had worked it's way out of position so that it couldn't lock in.
Amp and sub are installed. Just need to finish up the interior trim.
Bed lined the wheel wells and laid rubber tile in the trunk area.
New seat covers! Plan on ordering the Smittybilt GEAR rear seat cover here within the next month or two. Hopefully it will fit.
Started working on the EGR/TBI today. Went to replace the EGR Valve and the TBI was pretty gunked up. Took it apart for cleaning and ordered a repair kit.
Got underneath to inspect the driveline (been having some vibration on starting/acceleration. So I ordered 3 new greasable U-Joints and a new carrier bearing.
Also ordered new upper and lower ball joints (should hold me over until I lift it in the spring) the boots are broken open on all 4.
Upper control arm bushings are shot too. That will wait. Still haven't tackled the power steering leak. So much work and not enough time...

And the paint job will have to wait till February. The wife wants new carpet. And with the cash Ive been dumping on the Rodeo its hard to argue... 30th bday present to me in February!
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Postby 93 Blue Rodeo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:07 pm

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you, but making good progress!

If you get into replacing the bushings post up the process.
I've been meaning to do mine but no time.

I don't really trust the shops around here as i don't have a garage in the new house.

Cheers, keep up the good work.
93 Blue Rodeo 3.2L 4X4 5 speed
3" calmini lift, cold air intake, manual locking hubs, ball jt flip.
No rust! 219,000kms
93 Blue Rodeo
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Ian1006 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:47 am

Let me know how you like the Smittybilt seat covers I have been looking at those and wondering it they would fit and look good.
97 Honda Passport EX Auto to Manual Converted
G80 Dana 44
TreadWright Guard Dogs 265/70/16 on Snowflakes w/ matching spare
Sensa-trac shocks
Aisin Manual hub conversion
Lifted 2 inches front / add a leaf and custom shackles for 3 inches rear
DIY tie rod protectors
5W40 Rotella T6 / Wix filters

Build thread: https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51622
Ian1006
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby GoodyMOBB » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:13 pm

Got her out of the back yard and started working on it again... haha this thing might take me ten years but it will get done! Got the power steering leak fixed. New hoses and a new gear box. Got one upper ball joint done and realized I was wasting my time since the upper and lower control arm bushing are shot. Called the shop where I take all my work trucks to and they quoted me at 400 per side for upper and lower control arm bushings and they would do the ball joints at the same time (since they are coming out anyways). So my next trip will be to get those done. It did pass inspection/emissions though :bom: .

She runs great since I rebuilt the TBI with new gaskets and replaced the exhaust. No more popping noises while decelerating. Nice smooth idle. Work will be calming down substantially next week so HOPEFULLY I will have some time to actually get things done.

(Seat covers got put on the back burner, got a lot to do before I need them... kind of a last touch thing)
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Postby GoodyMOBB » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Funny looking back at my "build" thread. Makes me realize how little I actually get done on this thing. January of 2012 I ordered the carrier bearing and ujoints and I just replaced them last month :oops: . Shows how long I've been sitting on parts. I am now just waiting on the OME shocks,bj spacers and extended shackles from indy 4x and the suspension and steering will get replaced. Here is what is being done there as soon as I get the last parts and the time:

OME Shocks
OME Leaf Springs
Lift Shackles
Upper/Lower control arm bushings and ball joints w/spacers
Tie rods
Idler Arm
Steering Damper
Center Link
Sway bar endlinks/bushings
Swayaway HD torsion bars

Might be missing something, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. I am also taking it in for paint and rust repair next week. Refreshing the paint job and getting all the black parts repainted black. The carpet I put in sucks so once this is all done then I need to find some new seats and redo the interior. My dash also cracked so I'm a bit pissed about that. I guess a few years of sitting in the yard will do that. Getting excited for some progress finally!
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Postby GoodyMOBB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:28 pm

Dropped it off Monday for paint. Fixing the rust and all the dents. Also painting the cowl, wiper arms, bumpers, and pillar covers black. Froze my --- off driving this in to the shop with no windows. Here is the before:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Postby ShaneWhitlock » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:16 pm

I bet it was cold, damn weather here has been crappy this week.
Your back bumper looks like mine, damn utah snow and salt!
Looking forward to seeing the after pics!
1992 Isuzu Rodeo LS, 3.1 V6, Auto Trans, 32x11.5 15 BFGs,
1 5/8" Body Lift, 3" Suspension Lift, Thule Cargo Carrier, Stock Brush Guard,
shanewhitlock.com
My Build Thread
ShaneWhitlock
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby Tatohead » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:58 pm

Now that's how to prep for paint! Won't be much to mask; looks like you've gutted it pretty good. What color?
1996 Accura SLX
AISIN Hubs / 2" Lift Springs / T-Bar Crank / G80 LSD
Tatohead
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 47 times

Postby GoodyMOBB » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:21 pm

Just redoing the silver. A complete color change would be a bit much. It's getting a professional job so the paint is already going to cost more than its worth. It's also getting the lower part of the doors and around the wheel wells "bedlined" and painted to match. Not exactly sure what they are using for it. I was told they use it on the undercarriage of all the hot rods and restorations they do. Supposed to be stronger than bedliner.

I went by today to grab the quarter panel windows (getting all the windows retinted). They've got 4 days of prep work on it so far. Most the dents and pits have been filled. Just have the roof left and then the rust will be sandblasted. Should start painting early next week.

I've also got them filling in the holes for the factory roof rack and they are installing new Thule tp54 tracks. I'm wanting to put a larger basket up there than the stock rack can hold. With the new tracks I should be able to put an 60" basket up there with new Thule towers/cross bars. I have a Thule MOAB basket, but I put it on my wife's jeep and don't believe I will be getting it back. Makes it easier to find it in the mall parking lot :).
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Postby GoodyMOBB » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:42 pm

Decided to go back to the factory silver rather than the pure silver that was on it. Been in the shop almost two weeks now. Body and rust repair is finished. Bedliner is done. Started spraying today!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Postby pretzel » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:41 pm

Looking real good.
2000 Green Isuzu Rodeo V6 Auto 4WD 6k HID Retrofit, fog lights w/ LED halos, switchback LED Turn signal, 12" sub in custom ported box, Go Rhino Brush Guard, Smittybilt running boards, Custom Painted wheels w/ 255/70/16 General Grabber HTS, LEDs, K&N Drop in Filter, Cherry bomb pro muffler and more
Green Lantern Build
pretzel
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 17 times

Postby 95phoenix » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:26 am

I saw on another thread that you bought 15" snowflakes and i was wondering if you could shoot up a picture of them, im trying to make sure the craigslist is legit, they look a little off from the 16s. Any opinions on the 15s? Thanks :P
'95.0 Rodeo V6 4x4 Auto
(https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=67088)
'93 Amigo 2.6l 4x2 5-speed [Conversion to 6VD1 4x4 5-speed, completed, then blown motor...]
(https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=67667)
"You Might Die Trying"
95phoenix
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby GoodyMOBB » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:08 am

95phoenix wrote:I saw on another thread that you bought 15" snowflakes and i was wondering if you could shoot up a picture of them, im trying to make sure the craigslist is legit, they look a little off from the 16s. Any opinions on the 15s? Thanks :P

Here's a pic. I love the look of them. But mine are still waiting on powdercoat. Haven't refinished them yet...
GoodyMOBB
Zu Royalty

Next