2002 Turbo Diesel Trooper - History and Evolution

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: 02 Turbo Diesel Trooper

Postby beto » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:40 am

bradzuzu wrote:Looks nice !! Can you snap me some pics of the inner cooler mounting and how the scoop feeds it please ?? I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to mount mine..

Thanks Brad :wink: . I do not have pic of how the intercooler is mounted at this moment but I can take some later. Here are these, I hope they are useful:

The black piece bolts on the intercooler and the scoop rubber gasket seals sitting on it.
2002 Trooper, 3.1 Turbo Diesel Intercooled
Front Aussie Locker // OME 919´s // Daystar 1.5" spring spacers // Pro Comp ES9000´s // ARB Bumper // 12,000lb Winch w. Synthetic Rope // BFG KM2 255.85.16 on Snowflakes
Lifetime Led Headlights // RigidIndustries Dually D2´s // Aisin Hubs // 4 LED Roof Spot Lights // OEM Yakima Roof Racks // Airtec Snorkel // K&N Filter
video // video // 12/2010 ROTM
beto
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 38 times

Sponsor

Re: 02 Turbo Diesel Trooper

Postby beto » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:47 am

Costa Rican SWB wrote:looks great Beto!
congrats!!

Thx Mau!!! :thumbleft:
Front Aussie Locker // OME 919´s // Daystar 1.5" spring spacers // Pro Comp ES9000´s // ARB Bumper // 12,000lb Winch w. Synthetic Rope // BFG KM2 255.85.16 on Snowflakes
Lifetime Led Headlights // RigidIndustries Dually D2´s // Aisin Hubs // 4 LED Roof Spot Lights // OEM Yakima Roof Racks // Airtec Snorkel // K&N Filter
beto
Zu Royalty

Re: 2002 Turbo Diesel Trooper

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:11 pm

Thanks so much Beto !! I know how to get you to pop your hood now :)
That will help me out a bunch...!! Did you get little beastie cleaned up from that last mud adventure ??
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 390 times

Postby beto » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Hahaha!!! Nahh, I´ll even pop it to show the wiring mess I have for lights, stereo, etc.. :oops: . (I´m working on a wire harness to correct that :wink: )

Gladly it did not get too muddy after the last trip :wink: . Those pics are old ones I had for a post about how much water came in through the hood scoop viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39881&start=50

I got you a couple of pics over lunch time, hope they work.

Cheers
Last edited by beto on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beto
Zu Royalty

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:12 pm

Cool !! I'm trying to put an aftermarket one in my amigo for the turbo setup, it's really tight up front so I'm thinking of mounting it similar to the diesels.. That will keep it out of harms way too !! Have you souped up your eng at all ??

My build up page
Four link pics

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby beto » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:58 pm

bradzuzu wrote:Cool !! I'm trying to put an aftermarket one in my amigo for the turbo setup, it's really tight up front so I'm thinking of mounting it similar to the diesels.. That will keep it out of harms way too !! Have you souped up your eng at all ??

Yeah I´ve been following your turbo project, it´s gonna be cool!

A couple of times it got really dirty, but mostly muddy water and not that sticky muddy hell we have in some places. The worst was this time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2L3XLdCMik The intercooler was completely covered in that muddy water. I also lost my front license plate on that small crossing... :x

My vids are child´s play compared to the hardcore mudding available over here. Take a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQg387h1kp8 and make sure to take a look at other videos from the same guy. This one is pretty good also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMn55Ij8cUg

Enjoy :wink:
beto
Zu Royalty

Postby mudoilngears » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:43 pm

beto wrote:
bradzuzu wrote:Cool !! I'm trying to put an aftermarket one in my amigo for the turbo setup, it's really tight up front so I'm thinking of mounting it similar to the diesels.. That will keep it out of harms way too !! Have you souped up your eng at all ??

Yeah I´ve been following your turbo project, it´s gonna be cool!

A couple of times it got really dirty, but mostly muddy water and not that sticky muddy hell we have in some places. The worst was this time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2L3XLdCMik The intercooler was completely covered in that muddy water. I also lost my front license plate on that small crossing... :x

My vids are child´s play compared to the hardcore mudding available over here. Take a look http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQg387h1kp8 and make sure to take a look at other videos from the same guy. This one is pretty good also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMn55Ij8cUg

Enjoy :wink:

That is practically my back yard ;) Great vids!
1998 Rodeo LS 4x4 4JB1-TC Diesel Swap, Moog CC247 coils, more mods to come!

SOLD- :( 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4X4 4ZE1 engine. Front Aussie Locker, HD Sway Away T-bars,Smittybilt XRC8 winch.
Build in progress...
mudoilngears
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Just watched all those , man that's some fun stuff !! I bet you could get through most of that with the trooper.. Chains seem to help out even in the mud.. Thanks for posting those Beto

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby beto » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:58 pm

Small update. I bought a VX!
:wink:

I was bored and always thought it was a nice thingy to have so I bought it off ebay.

On to the trooper: I´ve replaced almost every suspension and steering component on the trooper. Center link, 4 tierod ends, 4 ball joints, sb bushings and still get a annoying clank-clunk up front in very small bumps. Shock bushings are new and the sb links aren´t loose. I found that the inner fender covers where too long where the fender meets the ARB bumper and they made an awful clunk when the bumper vibrated and hit them. I trimmed them but there´s still something loose down there that´s driving me crazy :roll: . I´ll keep searching anyways.

A poser shot, I really like how the Trooper stands out from the rest :D

A small trip I took with my gf on Jan 1st. around the mountains

Buying fresh strawberries and other fresh grown fruits.

Had to carry some stuff on the racks over the weekend, One of the lights got broken off an the others twisted a little. I always knew this was going to happen since the lights are higher than the racks duh. Anyways, I ordered 4 smaller but more powerful led lights to replace those and hopefully they will be lower than the racks.

Everytime I see that pic I just think "Yeah, it was obvious sh_t was going to happen duh" :lol: They were cheap so it´s not a big loss.

I´m getting married on March 9th and we haven´t had time for wheeling trips so no interesting pics yet.

Thanks for checking it out.
beto
Zu Royalty

Postby bradzuzu » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:48 pm

Congratulations Beto !! Thanks for the update and pics :) I wish I had an idea of what's rattling up front but it sounds like you've checked it all out..

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby foytiX » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:22 pm

congrats man. I must confess, I love seeing pics of SWB diesel troopers, especially in action ;)
'90 trooper 2.6 MUA 3" BL 33's, 5.38 gears, 12 bolt locker, and more https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=499
'94 Trooper MUA "theBeater"....https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=67019
'94 trooper ls.....parts and engine donor
'95 trooper limited.....1" hockey puck lift https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=66472
'98 trooper.........parts and trans donor
foytiX
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby beto » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks guys. Hey Brad that pic of the amigo hanging is priceless :lol: . And thanks foytix, your 1st gen is looks awesome with the huge tires and the winch setup.

Hopefully I´ll get the new led lights by the end of this week. I´m very busy between work, the wedding stuff and getting ready the place we´ll live in so I´ll struggle to get some time and install them.

Also me and my brother are looking to buy a 2nd gen Rodeo for him. I´ve been slowly convincing him to get on the Isuzu boat for a while and we will be looking at a white 2000 manual Rodeo tonight and some other on the following weeks. The thing is he had an injury on his left ankle and he gets tired of driving a manual. I hope we find a good deal :D
beto
Zu Royalty

Postby foytiX » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:06 pm

beto wrote:Also me and my brother are looking to buy a 2nd gen Rodeo for him. I´ve been slowly convincing him to get on the Isuzu boat for a while and we will be looking at a white 2000 manual Rodeo tonight and some other on the following weeks. The thing is he had an injury on his left ankle and he gets tired of driving a manual. I hope we find a good deal :D

get him on board dude, the more the merrier :D
'90 trooper 2.6 MUA 3" BL 33's, 5.38 gears, 12 bolt locker, and more https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=499
'94 Trooper MUA "theBeater"....https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=67019
'94 trooper ls.....parts and engine donor
'95 trooper limited.....1" hockey puck lift https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=66472
'98 trooper.........parts and trans donor
foytiX
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby beto » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:22 am

So, after days and months of searching for a car for my brother we finally bought one yesterday. We had been sharing my trooper and since I´m getting married in a month he needed to get his own ride. I was very involved in this because I had told him I would help him a little bit with $$ if he´d buy an isuzu because he was on a tight budget. We drove it on friday but it was out of our budget. The guy called yesterday with a lower price, a really good offer that was good for us so we went for it.

It is a 2001 Rodeo LS, V6, 4x4. It´s in great condition. I don´t remember the mileage but it was very good. Only one owner since new, the guy is A CAR GUY so he knows how to take care of stuff. He showed us all the details of the preventive care, maintenance and repairs he had done over the years. Everything is nice and clean on it, the paint, interior, suspension, brakes, steering...omg... the steering and suspension... they are sooo smooth!! My trooper feels like Fred Flintstone´s car compared to this Rodeo :cry: I´m getting sick of all the rattles inside and outside, bumpy ride, heavy and unprecise steering box, etc.. :roll:

Here it is:

There are just a couple of details on it. When we tested the 4x4 it had troubles disengaging at times, the guy said he almost never used it... so we´ll research on that later. Anyways we won´t be using it much either

The engine sounds perfect and smooth, runs like a champ but sometimes the idle gets a little low while in a stop. Advice?

Sometimes the abs light comes on randomly and then shuts back off.

It´s missing this part:

If someone can get one of those it would be great. :wink: . The cargo cover is damaged and wont roll back in, it´s not bent or anything, but somebody threw a heavy box on top of it and now it does not work..

The tires are AT´s that are almost new. It has a pioneer stereo that has seen better days so it will probably get replaced. As for mods, it will remain bone stock. No lift or anything, just a simple and comfortable daily driver. Maybe later on we will put my stock springs for a small lift but that´s not for sure. The owner said he installed a high flow cat and I don´t remember it he did the rest of the exhaust or not, but it sounds very good. It has a nice growl to it, not loud or annoying, just right. We do want to get some nice LSE wheels, but those will come later down the road. Also a set of foglights are part of the plan, maybe a set of small led lights like the ones I have, we´ll see.

Later I´ll take more pics of it, I hope you like it :D
beto
Zu Royalty

Re: 2002 Turbo Diesel Trooper ->and 2001 Rodeo brother

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:42 pm

That's a nice one !! Future plans for that one to ??

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby ubs_lover » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:57 pm

beto wrote:A small trip I took with my gf on Jan 1st. around the mountains
I´m getting married on March 9th and we haven´t had time for wheeling trips so no interesting pics yet.
Thanks for checking it out.

That's a great picture. Love the scene.
Congratulation on your marriage plan :) An SWB is a good start for a small family.

beto wrote:....Everything is nice and clean on it, the paint, interior, suspension, brakes, steering...omg... the steering and suspension... they are sooo smooth!! My trooper feels like Fred Flintstone´s car compared to this Rodeo :cry: I´m getting sick of all the rattles inside and outside, bumpy ride, heavy and unprecise steering box, etc.. :roll:

Didn't want to exchange that Rodeo with your Trooper? :D
I'm starting with an SWB at the first year of marriage, sold it when my 2nd child was born, and now ended with 4-Door Trooper ;)
1995 Hi-Roof 1st Gen Trooper, 4ZD1, stock. (Sold) https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=64293
1983 SWB LUV, C190 KBD41 Diesel 4WD N/A, MSG4K 4spd Tranny (Sold) https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=61309
1984 SWB Isuzu Trooper, C223 Diesel N/A, MSG5E 5spd Tranny, AVM manual hubs, Michelin A/T 7.50r16 on 16" steel wheels. (Sold). https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=33232
1990 LWB Trooper, 4JA1 Diesel N/A, MSG5K 5 spd Tranny, AVM manual hubs, 33"x12.5" M/T on alloy wheels. (Sold).
1984 LWB Trooper, C223 Diesel N/A, stock. (Sold).
ubs_lover
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 74 times

Postby IsuzuGeek » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:14 pm

Beto!!!

I am coming to Costa Rica in April. I would love to see your rig!! PM me!!

Bart
:(
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 200 times

Postby beto » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks Brad, the plan is to keep the Rodeo stock. It´s too nice and taken care off to take it on 4x4 trips. Maybe in the future, but oh man, the paint is like new and over here there´s always branches and stuff to scratch everything. We´ll wait and see.

Hey Andy, thank you very much man. I´m glad I have it. I´ve had to haul my gf baby nephews with their car chairs and all their stuff and fits just fine. A larger one would be better, but my plan is to keep mine for a very long time. My gf has a honda crv so that will be the family hauler :P . I did start thinking of making a engine swap with the Rodeo, maybe buy a Rodeo for me, swap engines and sell the trooper... but... oops, just woke up from that dream haha. I´ll stay still, keep my trooper and try to get the small stuff fixed on the way.

Bart!!!! :cheers: That´s great man! I´ll pm you :wink:
beto
Zu Royalty

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 pm

My buddy was just showing me pictures of his latest trip to Costa Rica , he shipped a machine down there and is part if some housing projects .. Lots if pictures of old jeeps and stuff !! I asked him to get some isuzu's next time :)

Someday I might have to fly down there to fix something :)

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby beto » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:55 pm

bradzuzu wrote:Someday I might have to fly down there to fix something :)
:idea: Wanna come rattle hunting?

:lol:
beto
Zu Royalty

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:16 pm

beto wrote:

I would but you wouldn't like tearing the whole interior apart to tighten up all the screws :twisted:
Back when I rebuilt my 91 (on disassembly ) I found all kinds of loose screws behind the dash ... There's a really bad loose screw behind the wheel that probly won't ever get fixed :)

How's the wedding planning going ?? My wife's in that business ...

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby beto » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:01 pm

bradzuzu wrote:
beto wrote:

I would but you wouldn't like tearing the whole interior apart to tighten up all the screws :twisted:
Back when I rebuilt my 91 (on disassembly ) I found all kinds of loose screws behind the dash ... There's a really bad loose screw behind the wheel that probly won't ever get fixed :)
How's the wedding planning going ?? My wife's in that business ...

Ha!, well I´m pretty sure the loose nut on your ´migo is beyond repairable :lol: ! That snow jumping vid was insane :shock:

Wedding plans are coming along great, definitely an interesting business. Is she a wed planner or a provider? This past year we started thinking doing weddings has its benefits $$$$. We hired a wedding "guide", not a planner. He sets up a schedule and time frame and presents us with tons of options along the way, guiding and giving advices along the way, but we are the ones that decide what we want and coordinate directly with the providers. About this time the guy starts finalizing details by himself with providers and finalizing the rest of stuff, and he does this as side job.

We´ve had a LOT of time to plan stuff so everything´s ok. My mother in law said she´d throw the party, and since my gf is like the princess of the family they are going all out on it :roll: , but hey, if they can, go for it; it´s a blessing for us. They also helped us quite a lot with an apartment and it is almost ready and a ton of other things that we are extremely grateful. I told my gf we would go from the church to the reception on my trooper and she said "what!?" --> Told her that was the only ride because I did not want somebody else to take us. Now she already bought a "just married" flag thingy for the trooper and was already making plans on how to hop up and into the trooper with the dress :D . Now that we have my brother´s Rodeo it will be an option if I don´t want to drive, as long as it´s a isuzu I´m fine hahaha.
beto
Zu Royalty

Postby ubs_lover » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:47 pm

beto wrote:...I told my gf we would go from the church to the reception on my trooper and she said "what!?" --> Told her that was the only ride because I did not want somebody else to take us. Now she already bought a "just married" flag thingy for the trooper and was already making plans on how to hop up and into the trooper with the dress :D . Now that we have my brother´s Rodeo it will be an option if I don´t want to drive, as long as it´s a isuzu I´m fine hahaha.

Great plans!
1995 Hi-Roof 1st Gen Trooper, 4ZD1, stock. (Sold) https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=64293
1983 SWB LUV, C190 KBD41 Diesel 4WD N/A, MSG4K 4spd Tranny (Sold) https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=61309
1984 SWB Isuzu Trooper, C223 Diesel N/A, MSG5E 5spd Tranny, AVM manual hubs, Michelin A/T 7.50r16 on 16" steel wheels. (Sold). https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=33232
1990 LWB Trooper, 4JA1 Diesel N/A, MSG5K 5 spd Tranny, AVM manual hubs, 33"x12.5" M/T on alloy wheels. (Sold).
1984 LWB Trooper, C223 Diesel N/A, stock. (Sold).
ubs_lover
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 74 times

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:16 pm

My wife started out with dresses (that was a pain !!) then started renting dinner ware.. Now it's setups with linens all the dinner ware and some good advise.. Like anything, once you open the door it takes you several directions.. It gets crazy in the summer time..!! Sounds like you guys will be very well taken care of.. Our wedding was nutts !! We did it ourselves, it also depends in the venue and the time frames..

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby Hatfield » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Looking good man, congrats on the upcoming wedding!

Did you get your lights yet? Mine look good but unfortunately I haven't had the chance to wire them up yet. My buddy got his wired and said they look great, super bright.
2000 Trooper - AR5 swap, 4.77s w Aussie & ARB, TeraLows, 285/75 Goodyear MTRs,
Indy4x bumper, OME lift with N85 shocks, 1" BL, TG sliders, M8000, 20" LED, dents

2007 Acura TL Type S - the daily
1995 Nissan 240sx - the racecar
Hatfield
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 25 times

PreviousNext