Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Project Stormtrooper - 2001 Trooper 3.5l 2wd

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  benlomond66 
#1 ·
Starting a thread here on my trooper. Will flesh out this post more over the next few days, but as of this past weekend (5/15/2021), I got my trooper back up and running. This was an auction buy at $1500 back in summer 2017 with about $200 to get everything working. Worked wonderfully for a while til I started getting shifting problems with the infamous 4l30e tranny. It's sat in my driveway for the past two years untouched until last week where doing a tranny flush + the band adjustment seemed to get everything shifting as expected. Thought about doing the shift solenoids while I was in there but wasn't mentally ready to start shelling out more $$$ on this trooper yet.... Now I am. Lol.

My goal is to turn this into a vehicle I can live out of longish term if need be. While also being capable of going off road. Eventually I want to get all of the overlanding / touring goodies like fridges, solar, etc., but first I want to get this in a better spot for off-roading.

As far as I'm aware, I got this trooper completely stock. I have no idea if this is the S or LS or fleet S model (probably fleet S since it has some upgrades that the regular S doesn't have). The only upgrades I have done so far is to install and wire up a stereo and subwoofer system. Also, I'm going hard on the white and black theme, hence the name project stormtrooper. Oh yeah, I also replaced the rear door since some ******* decided to break my rear window and steal my temporary tags the first week I had it... Found a door cheaper than it would have been to replace the window. Carpet got soaked so I pulled the seats and they have been in my garage since.

For anyone interested, I'll document my process and upgrades here to the best of my ability. I have read this forum for hours a day every day last week just mentally absorbing as much as I can in preparation for working on this trooper. I would also love any advice / input from the isuzu legends - for instance, do certain upgrades make sense, where to spend money for the most worthwhile upgrades, drive train mods, etc.

Where I am at now: my plan of attack is to make sure everything is working as it should. I have filled and flushed some systems. Plan to do the rest and make sure I encounter no problems while driving over the next couple weeks. I hope to take this on a two week long camping trip at the end of the month and want to do some minor upgrades before then. From watching countless youtube videos on overlanding, it seems like the first upgrade anyone should do is tires. Suspension should come after you figure out all the addons and extra weight being added to see what would be useful, but I think I have some worn out components that require attention. I also want a minor lift, i.e. < 2inches.

So where to start: Not sure. I'll be driving this daily and seeing if I notice anything that requires attention. I am not good at recognizing problems (mostly because I don't know what to look for), but I am technical and handy and can fix anything with the right amount of information. If my suspension needs work, that's where I'll spend my money first and can accomplish the lift at the same time. Budget friendly is my goal since I'm hesitant to pour money into this trooper if I'll end up wanting 4wd down the road. I mean, I want it now, but I don't neeeeed it.

Anyway, stop by. Post questions, comments, suggestions, anything. I'll be putting some pictures up as well once I get going. :book: :happy3: :hello2:

See less See more
#2 ·
Quick post of what I was greeted with when I dropped my transmission pan this past weekend. Yes, that's the bolt for the band adjustment cap. When I dumped the catch can, it reminded me of that silver memory fluid from harry potter with how metallic it looked.

#3 ·
I have an 02 rodeo i kind of want to do this with as well. I too am having slight trans problems because it hasnt ran for about 3 years. I got it running last year before winter and while test driving the trans light came on chugged hard and died. Got it running and drove it home and sat it all winter. Im back out trying to fix it, hoping i just need to drain all trans fluid and replace. Ive had the vehicle for probably 7 or so years. I let the rodeo get to temp shift through the gears and i hear no grinding and its smooth so im hoping its just low on fluid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.