Isuzu SUV Forum banner

-40 ! still starting

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Sh_YVR 
#1 ·
Anyone dealing with the extreme cold ? Its been as cold as -40c/f (in the polar vortex) and -47 'real feel' .. I have a block heater but no outlet..
I put 0W40 synthetic in back in DEC.... paying off.. 00 3.2l
I didn't really want to start it but started to fear the coolant was only rated to -40 or so.. so close..
I"m starting it every 5-6 hours when its -30 or colder..

#2 ·
I'm also dealing with near -40 temperatures starting mine in the mornings. That's too bad about not having an outlet for the block heater but good choice on the 0w40 oil and you will benefit from an oil filter w/ silicone anti drainback valve in those kinds of temps as well (ie wix, mobil1, bosch premium, denso, amsoil, royal purple etc)
I have a factory block heater, heated battery blanket, and 100 watt heat pad for the transmission pan along with 0w40 semi-synthetic. With all three left on for 3 hours with an oudoor timer it makes these cold starts a breeze. I did have to do one -30C start without anything plugged in and it reluctantly got going, a bit noisier than usual, and the 4L30E not wanting to shift out of 1st as it does when frozen solid

Today I learned that 80w90 non-synthetic gear oil does not flow below -28C / -18F. Going to switch to 75w90 full synthetic for the front and 75w140 for the rear diffs before next winter, since having a lubricant that behaves more like grease than oil when it is that cold is probably not ideal for the r&p etc. 75w90 full synth pour point is -40C/F

#4 ·
I would have preferred not to start it but since it was several consecutive days (10) of between -20 and -40f & I wasn't 100% sure if the coolant would start to freeze..

I've never used the block heater - and reluctant to plug it for the 1st time .. anyone know what the wattage pull is ? What resistance should it have ? (will test with multimeter)
I'll test it this summer (tho I don't think I"ll ever be in -40 again...) Any thoughts on how they age? I just don't to start some weird electrical fire.

I had severe gear 75w110 amsoil in the rear and lucasoil synthetic in the front diff. The transfercase has 5w30 Mobil1. Tranny has synthetic - I think it made more noise for 30secs on startup.

Of course most service places discouraged using synthetic - as they sometimes do - glad I didn't listen.

#5 ·
block heater either works , or it doesnt. a bad (shorted to ground)block heater will trip a gfci receptacle, but not a standard receptacle...usually block heaters suffer from damaged cords eg: wifey driving away with it plugged in :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.