Done with IFS - my turn for SAS

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: Done with IFS - my turn for SAS

Postby lorenzo816 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:22 am

Thanks man.
I haven't updated the thread much but since then I have upgraded the rear shafts to Nitro cromoly.
Broke the toyota shaft clean and destroyed an ARB. Had to buy another locker. :|

I upgraded to Trailgear studs and snapped those too.
Finally upgraded to ARP and put a third dowel in on the short side.

Then I snapped another short side shaft - yes a cromoly.
It can be done.
My goal now is to center up the rear axle pumpkin to relieve the stress on the short side and even it up with the left.

But I have other plans, I'm working on a high pinion front right now. $$$$ :alien:

two years ago I blew up a driveshaft yoke on the hwy - albeit because of the offset angle on my driveshaft. It constantly chatters at certain speeds.
Simply swapped shafts since I had my spare in the truck. Thank God it didn't blow up and take out the truck or others on the interstate.
The track bar helps quite a bit to keep the hogs head from pitching but I need to regrease and check my u-joints in the driveshaft way more often.
Couldve been much worse.
It was super wet that day and there was a lot of high RPM spinning everywhere. That contributed to the quick degradation of the yoke and grease inside. Needle cap just dried up and blew apart.

I did finally get a bumper built.
Pretty badass I might say. I was looking to get an ARB moved across the country but I think they are bulky and they don't look good.
I didn't want to go round tube and cheap but wanted to ensure the truck looked like it matches the era.
I simply shared my thoughts on these things with Chris and dropped off the truck one day and a few days later he has this.
I finally got my badge painted and put it on as well.

Currently the truck drives and runs fine. Passed inspection on Monday.
I twisted the J10 axle and need to get another housing built so I'm going to try to get a high pinion front.
After that I'm going to stop for a long time and then slowly think about doing a custom Toyota tcase doubler conversion or a complete drivetrain swap but family, kids, life and bills come first.
:bigsmurf:
1997 Solid Axle Rodeo :: Ar5 swap :: Revo 4Lo :: 5.29/5.38 :: Front OX :: Rear ARB :: Full Float :: Chromoly Bling Bling
Build: 3-link coilover front 44 & rear FZJ80 on 37's
PM me if you need anything - Need a Skull Planet Isuzoo sticker?
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 143 times

Sponsor

Postby paulevans76 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:39 pm

With your ability to break ---- I'd maybe shy away from the toyota doubler. You'd be springing for the blingest parts which would probably put you at a ~$2k setup and you'd still be walking the line on strength. It might work out fine, and there are dudes out there running that gear with no problems, but your rig is full bodied and not light, and although you don't have a ton of power, that weight plays a factor.

I shied away from toyota stuff because I didn't want my t-case to be the fuse. If it was an amigo or shorty 1st gen RS with toyota axles or a buggy or something, I wouldn't be that concerned.

What other drivetrain options were you considering? I'm gonna have a machinist buddy in my club help me with my adapter for the 700r4 to Zu case. I think the deep 3:06:1 1st gear in the auto, the torque converter multiplication factor, and the 3.07:1 in the case will be a good combo for the trails. Easier to control without the clutch to worry about. Plus it's not electronically controlled, so I don't have to worry about the changing the ECU or adding a trans control module, hell I can go full manual with it if I want.
Scratch n Dent special 1991 Trooper S
3.4 V6 - Holley TBI, CompCams 252H, 1.6:1 roller rockers, +1mm DOHC pistons, MSD ignition, custom tune, "Ed Mc Special" 2.5" exhaust
MUA5 w/ 3.07's & fixed yoke
SAS - Waggy F D44 - 5.38's, RCV's, OX locker; Rodeo R 44 - Detroit, truss
Front Y-link radius arms, coils; Rear SOA, OME leaves, anti-wrap bar
35x12.50/17 General Grabber X3's on 17x9 Interco Birddogs
Trail armor and Warn XD9000
The White Whale - a temporary daily driver 1991 Trooper - 2.8 V6, MUA5 - stocker resto (sold)
1994 Samurai - 1.3 FI - OME suspension, 31's, 6.5:1 tcase, 5k milemarker SxS winch, more to come!
paulevans76
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 185 times

Postby totten » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:00 pm

Thanks for the update. Love your rigs set-up. New bumper great looking. Thanks for the pictures, Tony
2004 rodeo 4x4,3.2,aw3040ls automatic,Stock springs with Independent4x 2"coil spacers, Zone 2" Body Lift, 285/75/16 Mastercraft Courser HXT Tires. Cobra 29LTD CB,Transmission cooler,Functional hood scoop,kyb shocks
totten
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 107 times

Postby Jonesy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:41 pm

Dam...thats a lot of breakage. I don't know if I just wheel way less or it's an wast coast thing but so far I've only broken 1 stub shaft and that was not even wheeling.

I always look forward to updates on your truck, since it's the closest thing to mine. :)

I hope you get stuff figured out. I have liked my high pinion, but i almost think with the breakage you've had it might be worth doing D60 stuff.
'96 Rodeo V6/5spd 3-link SAS, HP D44, 4-link rear, coil-overs, ARB's, QuickAire 2, 37's...work in (slow)process
97 Rodeo, V6/5spd 3" SL 3" BL, - Retired
Jonesy
Trail Master

Have thanks: 20 times

Postby lorenzo816 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Yea but my breaks are all rear now since I upgraded the front shafts and joints.
I’d rather have my fuse be a rear shaft or driveline joint than a front shaft or joint.
Just speaking from cost perspective. My rear shafts are no questions asked replacements! :)
I’ll do my high pinion front then center up the rear.
And I was just out west in AZ wheelin with Dave and Jreddy.
You guys have more traction!!
That’s the key. Reminds me of this meme. ——>
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xLfzo ... X1gvDG4oj0
It’s not like all that happened in one day, but it does seem like every fourth time I go out, some crap happens!
Lol
1997 Solid Axle Rodeo :: Ar5 swap :: Revo 4Lo :: 5.29/5.38 :: Front OX :: Rear ARB :: Full Float :: Chromoly Bling Bling
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Postby lorenzo816 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:29 pm

I should probably add my latest Axle work to this thread.
Sometime between last winter 2018 and the Spring of 2019, I twisted the axle tube in the front housing and decided it was time for a huge upgrade. I bought a center chunk with the tubes cut off that was from a Ford high pinion 44. Just waiting for the day. Well now because the tube twisted, now was the time.

I tore into the front and took it all apart. It sat like this for maybe a month or two.

And yes "after all that, it's still a 44" - Andy says... anyhow
True but this is thicker tube, welded to the housing not just the plug welds. Chris (marsfab) had the brackets' files so remaking them was an "quick" job.

ECGS made the custom axle with a HP housing I dropped off, torched the tube out and mod'd it to fit my current Cromo Axle shafts. New beefy C's and new Balljoints.
I fixed up a 2wd truck and sold it to cover the cost$$$ of all the work so was nice to not have to dip into my wallet too far for all this.

I even got lucky with a front drive shaft from a Scout.
I measured the front shaft on my Scout and it was exactly what I needed in diameter to clear the exhaust since the shaft was up higher.
I got two of them for $75 a piece, balanced one and put fresh joints in both of them.

funny how things work out like that.
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Postby lorenzo816 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:21 pm

Then I removed the damper from the clutch system and put in a braided line and a new Master and Slave.
Pain in the A$s!!
There is no knuckle space down there compared to other vehicles.

Then I went for a test run in Uwharrie before my club ride at AOP in Tennessee.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jLALbkqXkGgNAEKx6

Works fabulous.
Now i have a loose steering box on the frame.
Might be time hydro assist.
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Postby lorenzo816 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Here is a video of the truck on a lower section of a really hard trail.
Love this place.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oUyRDs1o3vuTBViY7
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Postby Jonesy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:37 am

Nice. What rear axle are you running again? Also do you have a sway bar on the front or rear? Can you take pics? Lastly, what springs are you running on your truck?

It seems mine is still taller then yours...it leans fairly heavily on turns but cant dee how I'd fit a front sway bar.

I also broke a shaft and ARB in the rear last year and barely got it fixed....and realizing I am looking at junkyard shafts, it's a little discouraging
'96 Rodeo V6/5spd 3-link SAS, HP D44, 4-link rear, coil-overs, ARB's, QuickAire 2, 37's...work in (slow)process
Jonesy
Trail Master

Postby Enemigo » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:00 am

Love how big tires make gnarly stuff look tame.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby lorenzo816 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:40 am

jonesy, the rear is the FZJ80 disc brake landcruiser rear axle.
No sway bar but we did a anti-wrap bar when the yota axle was put in. Pretty sure the wrap is what took out the 44 since it was SOA.
Mine turns like a race car and I'm use to the sway. Funny I can do a double diamond in my truck faster than the lady's lexus but hers begins to screech tires at the same speed.
She was staring at me like why are you going that fast? I said I'm not, I go faster in my truck. lol
Oh and the rear has lost some height because the springs have softened up over the years. i dont care yet though to replace them.

Watcha mean shaft? Like in the locker itself?
or a rear shaft? You can get some cromo axle shafts made up. Throw some money at it. Get ya smiles back.

Thx enimigo.
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Postby Jonesy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:28 pm

Rear axle shaft snapped taking out the ARB. I was able to just replace the case luckily...but the whole thing cost about $1100 to repair. If I wasn't linked in the rear I'd be more inclined to find a different axle solution...but it's already so customized it gets expensive to keep running when a problem comes up. Not to mention that I'm taller then preferred but with the customization being built around the 3" bl it's hard to do much with it.

I would like to figure out limiting straps and sway bat up front so I dont have so much body roll and I felt a little more comfortable about driving on the street.

I think having a shop you trust is great when you cant do the work yourself. I'm having a hard time finding that as well
Jonesy
Trail Master

Postby lorenzo816 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:35 pm

So true on being 'stuck' with a linked setup and having to find another one, get it tabbed and built out with gears, lockers and all.
Paul has straps on his trooper up front - just fyi.
My fab guy is backed up with a huge portal axle project so I'm going to get my steering box frame section strengthened with a guy like an hour away.
You're right. Funny I live in nascar country and have so many race shops but haven't made any connections with those guys. There doesn't seem to be that much cross over in that area except maybe the engine guys. Mud + rocks guys out here don't cross over much either. So too along the lines do the Fab guys. They tend to follow a lane of the hobby if that makes sense. Hard to find someone who knows what we do and how to build it 'right'.
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Postby Assport96 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:52 am

Awesome build Lorenzo!

Any chance you've got a source on those spindle shims for the d44? My wagoneer axle has the same positive camber. \--•-/

Going to try the ball joint bushings but I'd rather get some done with a shim so I can adjust with the ball joint.
1996 Passport 3.2L:
  • 245/75/16
  • Lokka up front, G80 lsd
  • cheap ebay hubs
  • dual battery
  • roof rack, rock sliders
  • ARB bull bar, x20 10k winch
  • OME springs in rear
Assport96
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby lorenzo816 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:47 am

try to find these online:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/iec-26126

I have two but I always keep an eye on my front end and tire wear to see if I need to add them to the custom front axle.
It seems to be visually 'fine' staring at the truck dead on - but I don't put nowhere enough actual onroad mileage to notice a difference right now. Plus the tires I have are ate up to he\\ and would be hard to notice it.
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Postby Assport96 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:16 pm

Thanks for the link. I haven't been able to find that part available anywhere unfortunately. Seems as if the company was bought by doorman. I guess they didn't like the shim idea...

Napa lists some similar ones online but no availability. I've got to try in the store when I get a chance. Maybe those guys will have something.
1996 Passport 3.2L:
  • 245/75/16
  • Lokka up front, G80 lsd
  • cheap ebay hubs
  • dual battery
  • roof rack, rock sliders
  • ARB bull bar, x20 10k winch
  • OME springs in rear
Assport96
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Enemigo » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:28 pm

Another thread I've never seen and need to read. I've even talked to Lorenzo on the phone and still haven't even really seen his rig. I'll dig into this when I have time. Like everyone else who reaches this point, I'm trying to decide if I want to maintain my drivability, or jump into a SAS so I can rip on the trails a little harder.

What I need to do is move so I can have more room and just build a second Trooper...
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby lorenzo816 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:55 am

That stinks man. Try to keep searching. I can't believe ingalls is the only person who ever made these.

Stu, come on man you are late to the party.
:bigsmurf:

I've wheeled the snot of out this thing and the only issues I keep having are eating through the Barnes4wd joint bushings. Maybe its me not tightening them enough or they are too tight - or they just wear out faster than I expect.
Anyhow last year some time, I noticed I was starting to eat through the frame at the steering box. Since I don't have hydro, the frame takes all the pressure of pushing those meats.
A friend of mine up the road did some pretty nice welding on it to fix it up and make it way stronger.

I'm going to start uploading pics here directly from now on... hope everything shows up a-okay
IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

IMG_0218.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lorenzo816 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Postby lorenzo816 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:04 pm

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

Here is a pic of some place up in VA. You can see if you zoom in I do have some pretty good articulation. :D :D
And I got a friend here Timberwolf, his name is Earl to join our club.
He's got a 4.3 700r4 atlas combination in the Amigo.
IMG_1382.JPG

And funny, its always your backyard that F's you. I've been all over from Windrock to AOP and no issues. But I guess the dumb o'clock hour is what causes the most damage.
I broke a front cromoly yukon outer shaft clean on a night run.
I got video of it too. You can hear it snap. At least it didn't take out the spindle like the first time I broke one.
IMG_3540.JPG

Anyhow got that warrantied from ECGS.

Here is a recent pic from WV:
IMG_4079.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lorenzo816
I am the Stig

Previous