Tippy the Family Heirloom [93 Trooper LS]

Post pictures of your Isuzu here. Document Mods, showcase unique features and generally show off your truck

Moderator: Staff

Re: Tippy the Family Heirloom [93 Trooper LS]

Postby sno » Thu May 13, 2021 5:39 pm

Ed Mc. wrote:Re: Colorado dual-piston calipers and brake lines; for those of us who won't be running custom braided lines, which stock lines would work on a Gen I Trooper? Gen I, Gen II, something else? Does the Colorado-spec banjo bolt fit the stock ZuZu brake lines?

IIRC the original "Big Brake Mod using Gen II calipers required use of Rodeo brake lines due to the connection angles.

TIA............ed

I'm not really sure which lines would be compatible between the Colorado calipers and the 1st gen hardline coupler. It may be worth pulling a 2nd gen trooper brake line from the junkyard to confirm that it will fit your 1st gen, and if it does i think it'd likely be the right length for the Colorado calipers. Sorry I can't be of more help, I've only heard of people installing them on 2nd gens but if you make a post on the Isuzu Trader Facebook page there's a good chance someone could give you better info
Current Vehicles:

'Tippy': 1993 Isuzu Trooper LS: 4x4/Automatic/DOHC/limited slip diff/2" lift/250,000+KM. Daily driven. Owned by my parents since new, my childhood family car. Rescued from sitting in a field summer 2019. https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 5&t=142671

'The parts rig': 1993 Isuzu Trooper: 4x4/Manual/SOHC/324,000 Km. Runs too well to actually start parting out. Manual swap donor in the event of 4l30e failure

2011 Honda Accord 3.5L V6: 6 speed manual/HFP trim kit/HFP coilovers/19" wheels/magnaflow exhaust/cat delete/short ram intake/
sno
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Postby sno » Mon May 17, 2021 12:53 am

Thoroughly degreased the front of the block

Pulled the front mains a couple days ago and the Lisle seal puller made it easy without any risk of leaving gouges. Got the front cam plugs out easily, new ones pressed in with some addl copper rtv as sealer. Saw what I was up against trying to pull the rear cam plugs, and instead cleaned them up very thoroughly and laid a nice fat bead of ultra copper RTV on the cam plug retainer plates (the recall part), then reinstalled the plates in order to have a seal formed between the plates and the cam plugs

Got my power steering pump back from Hydra Steer with all new seals and bearings installed. Although the bearings weren't noisy or loose, with the new bearings installed the pulley turns much more "firmly", like a new PS pump would.

Since my cam/crank seal driver kit is delayed shipping, I've started disassembly on all the front end work.
Today's progress:
-Hubs removed and used an impact screwdriver to get the stubborn philips screws in the bearing nut retainer plate out
-broke loose all upper and lower ball joint tapers
-broke loose all steering joints and fully removed center link / tie rods
-removed 1 side abs sensor
-removed 1 side brake caliper

I've stopped for the day because the brake caliper bolts on one side aren't coming off with my breaker bar. Remiving the ABS sensor is fiddly so ill continue tomorrow. May require a torch and or powerful impact gun for the stubborn caliper, neither of which I have. Been making daily tool runs and it looks like I'm about to do another one tomorrow morning!
Last edited by sno on Sun May 23, 2021 7:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Current Vehicles:

'Tippy': 1993 Isuzu Trooper LS: 4x4/Automatic/DOHC/limited slip diff/2" lift/250,000+KM. Daily driven. Owned by my parents since new, my childhood family car. Rescued from sitting in a field summer 2019. https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 5&t=142671

'The parts rig': 1993 Isuzu Trooper: 4x4/Manual/SOHC/324,000 Km. Runs too well to actually start parting out. Manual swap donor in the event of 4l30e failure

2011 Honda Accord 3.5L V6: 6 speed manual/HFP trim kit/HFP coilovers/19" wheels/magnaflow exhaust/cat delete/short ram intake/
sno
Drives in Mud

Postby sno » Tue May 18, 2021 1:27 am

Got the stubborn caliper bolts loose. Had to jump on my breaker bar
Got the abs sensors disconnected, knuckles removed and im going to repack the bearings tomorrow
RH upper control arm removed to be replaced with a new one from mevotech, just need to discinnect the brake line to get it fully out
Now just need some vise grips and a 10mm crowsfoot wrench in order to get the brake hardlines disconnected, because my regular open ended 10mm wrench will strip it for sure

On another note, the mount bolts needed for the dual piston caliper upgrade are M14x2.0 thread pitch, 30mm long under the head, grade 10 steel

Tomorrow will be dropping the suspension crossmember and oil pan, cleaning the oil pickup screen, new gasket for the oil pan then prettymuch ready to install the diff drop. I still need to get the crossmember modified to clear room for the 3rd member once dropped which may prove to be the most annoying part of all this since I can't weld and need to find someone to do it right

Still no sign of my cam/crank seal driver kit that was supposed to be here a week ago, and UPS says it hasn't even shipped yet... Talked to my neighbor who is a retired mechanic and he says he always just tapped in shaft seals with a socket, so if the seal driver hasn't arrived by the time I have all the front end work done ill probably just borrow some large sockets from him. I'm just worried I won't get them in straight but I suppose if I'm real careful it should be fine.
Current Vehicles:

sno
Drives in Mud

Postby Enemigo » Tue May 18, 2021 2:02 am

Does your neighbor have a welder? Even if he doesn't, you can do all the cutting on the cross member, cut out a plate to weld in place, and bring it to an exhaust shop or something. I bet they'd do it for pretty cheap.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby Ed Mc. » Tue May 18, 2021 3:19 am

sno wrote:On another note, the mount bolts needed for the dual piston caliper upgrade are M14x2.0 thread pitch, 30mm long under the head, grade 10 steel

Good to know! McMaster-Carr has zinc-chromate-plated Class 10.9 high-strength M14x2.0, 30mm hex-headed bolts, package of 10 for $13.10 plus shipping. A better deal than the GM bolts.

https://www.mcmaster.com/90854A256/
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 405 times

Postby 93trooperpooper » Wed May 19, 2021 8:23 am

i made a dedicated crank seal tool installer for my isuzu....a chunk of pipe with the diameter that is just smaller than the seal, deeper than the crank snout stick-out, and then welded a piece of flat stock on the one end for hammering. might have a hard time finding a socket that deep, that diameter to fit...i know i did....
always made my own seal installers....and as for seal removers, i use a small screw driven into the face of the seal, then a trim removal tool for the leverage / prybar. or even pliers. easy peasy. i do have an actual seal remover tool, but its only good for open bores...

i installed new rear cam plugs when i had the cams out...put the rtv in place, install cam plug seals, then hold them in place and tighten down the cam caps
then install the recall plates.

i am a ''jack of all trades, master of two'' kind of guy. :roll: to the point where now if people ask if i know how, i play dumb...pick and choose my battles...oh wait i own an isuzu :?
will drive these until they quit and move onto something else.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby sno » Wed May 19, 2021 8:15 pm

93trooperpooper wrote:i made a dedicated crank seal tool installer for my isuzu...

Thanks for the info on that, may need to end up doing something similar

Here's a comparison between trimmed vs untrimmed right side dust shields in order to fit the Colorado calipers. I cant see any way other than pulling the hub/bearing assy in order to do the proper trimming. Used a dremel

Making progress, slowly but surely. Got a seal puller, race/bearing driver and brass punch set from princess auto for the bearing replacement/ repack. The races and seals seem pretty stuck in there but I am confident ill be able to get them out eventually
Current Vehicles:

sno
Drives in Mud

Postby sno » Thu May 20, 2021 1:55 am

Last bump for the next few days since I'm going back to my regular work hours for a bit. Took me a while longer than I intended, but got the diff fully removed! Tomorrow after work I am gonna start degreasing and scrubbing EVERYTHING under the front end, so that I can paint it all with por15.
Got the bearing seals out but the races are being real stubborn. My old bearings (factory OEM) look totally fine so ill probably just repack them and reuse the old races, then just stick to the bearing maintenance interval of a repack every 30,000 km
Current Vehicles:

sno
Drives in Mud

Postby sno » Sun May 23, 2021 2:01 am

Got the heavy duty tie rods assembled just gotta shorten them a little bit since I ran out of adjustment room and they might just be slightly too long for my medium track width. Powder coated adjusting sleeves as well as the front bash plate in the same color. The dust boost are Energy Suspension polyurethane boots.

Got the oil pan out and the pickup screen was totally 100% clean. Time for a new gasket

Shaft seal driver kit will be here by the 25th, so I should have the engine reassembled relatively soon now
Current Vehicles:

sno
Drives in Mud

Postby sno » Sat May 29, 2021 8:14 pm

Got the cam and crank seals driven in nicely with the tool

Got the oil pan gasket replaced. The oil pickup screen was totally clean and no sludge in the pan.

Discovered the source of the squeal in 4wd above 40 kmh. It's the outer pinion bearing on the front differential. When I turn the pinion flange manually it makes a nasty, gritty grinding noise from the flange which is almost certainly a bad outer bearing.
Absolutely no shiny bits, and the oil looked brand new and was right up to the fill plug the first time I drained it. My dad had the dealership do the break-in fluid on the entire driveline. But there's some rusting on the main gear that suggests maybe there was some water contamination in the diff at one time. The breather hose and port was fully intact and it was owned my parents who only used the 4wd for snowy roads in the winter, so although it seems unlikely, the noise seems to be a damaged rear pinion bearing. My guess is perhaps the couple kilometers I drove with a bad front u joint were enough to damage the rear pinion seal enough to allow snow (which tends to get packed above that front skidplate) to melt into the rear pinion bearing past the seal.

Sprayed it with some wd40 to prevent any further surface rusting of the gears while it's sitting on my bench, then on Monday I'm dropping the 3rd member off at a diff shop so they can do a proper inspection and perform the repairs needed. I don't want to mess up the preload and dont even have an impact gun to get the pinon nut off
OEM pinion seal and bearing will be here in under a week

Current Vehicles:

sno
Drives in Mud

Postby sno » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:32 pm

Starting to get close to having Tippy back on the road,

-As I was putting the engine back together I noticed the bearing in the timing belt idler pulley was starting to go bad after only 20,000 km. Ordered a gates brand one on rockauto which will arrive tomorrow.

-Got all the wheel bearings repacked and the hub seals driven in. Was having trouble with three different aftermarket brands of the rear hub/bearing seals not wanting to drive in to the hub. Then I decided to order OEM ones, becaudr I noticed my damaged OE seals would go back in easily due to a slightly different design. My new OEM seals arrived in under a week and drove in very nicely with no fitment issue at all

-front diff pinion bearings + seal are being replaced at an automatic transmission shop. 3 hours of labor plus parts, should be done tomorrow. I could've gotten a partout third member for quite a bit cheaper, but I like to repair rather than replace

-The new groove for the manual hub snap ring was cut at a machine shop, due to being stripped off by the auto hubs after the snap ring came out on a snowy trail. Using a slightly undersized snap ring (24mm) in the new groove will allow me to run my new Aisin manual hubs while still keeping the OEM cv's

-Painted the Colorado calipers in a bright orange (the can had a red cap that matched my powdercoat color, but orange works too I guess lol). Not like I can even see the calipers through the dinnerplate wheels anyway, more for rust prevention than looks

-Todays tasks will be to repack+reboot the outer CVs as well as put the ABS tone rings back on the hubs, then torque the hubs to the new rotors
Current Vehicles:

sno
Drives in Mud

Postby sno » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:34 am

Got the engine all back together and running great. The new alternator puts out higher voltage, no leaks from the new front main seals, oil pan or water pump, and the resealed power steering system should last the rest of the life of the vehicle
After I got it all back together and running i realized I should have put thread locker on the cam sprocket bolts, so I took the timing covers off again to do that. Better safe than sorry since rotating bolts tend to work loose and having those sprockets back off would strip the keys from the cams
Still waiting to get my diff back, hopefully this week I can start putting the front end back together
Current Vehicles:

sno
Drives in Mud

Postby sno » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:59 pm

Quite a lot has happened since my last post

-got the 3rd member back and sealed to the axle housing, now it's ready to be mounted any time
-decided to drop the exhaust in order to cut out the restrictors, replaced the seeping overdrive pan gasket, installed a new filter, and adjusted the 1st-2nd gear brake band back to the factory tightness (steps: loosen the jamb nut, tighten the hex bit to 40 inch pounds, loosen it back 4 full turns, and retighten the jamb nut)
-needed to order a new gasket for the brake band solenoid housing, which I got from cobra transmission parts
-got the new outer boot kits installed on the CV'S, thoroughly cleaned out the old grease and repacked:

OEM kit with NSK boots and grease (even comes with extra band clamps, retaining ring & snap rings), plus Lisle 30950 CV Joint Banding Tool

OEM kit, outer (84-94 Trooper, Rodeo, Pickup): https://www.amayama.com/en/part/isuzu/8971097650

Inner (84-94 Trooper, Rodeo, Pickup): https://www.amayama.com/en/part/isuzu/8971097650

Tool: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... pt=1000797

-needed to get some more CV axle grease for the inners, so got some NSK moly grease from the subaru dealership
Current Vehicles:

sno
Drives in Mud

Postby sno » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:35 pm

Got the exhaust restrictors removed, very easy with a 41mm hole saw
Current Vehicles:

sno
Drives in Mud

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:52 am

great work so far...
yup, i removed those restrictors on one of the troopers or both ? cant remember which one, but i KNOW i did remove them :drunken:
and there is nothing better for fit and finish than oem parts....
i had to trim about 1/2 inch off the inner and outer tie rods to get enough room inside the adjuster, when i did the hd tie rod mod on the one trooper...and hardened washers under the castle nuts, the taper on the tie rod stuck thru a bit , not letting the castle nut tighten down properly. drilled out the hardened washers a bit , for perfect fit.....
will drive these until they quit and move onto something else.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Have thanks: 27 times

Previous