Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Weber carburetor rant

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  steve mortillaro 
#1 ·
My '87 Toyota has a Weber carburetor. It's been great, as long as its in tune (otherwise it likes to diesel bit). It's not that old- maybe has about 15-20k miles on it. The throttle shaft started sticking, so I ordered a new throttle shaft bearing kit from Pegasus Auto- who is great and had the part in about 2 days. So I go to replace the old nylon bushings with real metal bearings. When I went to unscrew the throttle plate, I noticed that the heads of the screws are a little bit wallowed out. Well, I unscrewed them and what do you know? one of them pulled the threads out of the throttle shaft. This was a new carburetor to me that I purchased from Redline, mfg. in Spain- real Weber apparently, but when the throttle plate was screwed on, it was cross threaded. They just jammed it in there- kept going and forced it in.... Big suck!
Now I'm waiting for a new throttle shaft and will probably keep the old one and tap it just a little bigger as a spare

#2 ·
Man, they just don't make 'em like they used to! I expect Weber quality control in the Good Old Days was much better. Very frustrating to find stuff that they couldn't even bother to screw together right at the factory.

Years ago I had '72 Datsun 521 1600 pickup, and I ended up finding a Weber single-sidedraft carb and intake for that engine. It really flew! I was blowing off Olds Cutlass V6 Sports Coupes at the stoplights! It didn't have the cross-over manifold, so didn't carburate that smoothly at low speeds. But it had a killer top end! The little L-16 would just scream. I eventually got a 2-bbl progressive carb and replaced the Weber. It still ran pretty good and idled real nice. Now, if I had had a hot cam, header, and Twin DCOEs on that, I would have been in 7th Heaven!! :mrgreen:

G'luck with your cranky Weber!..........ed

#3 ·
steve mortillaro said:
When I went to unscrew the throttle plate, I noticed that the heads of the screws are a little bit wallowed out
Many manufacturers used to "stake" throttle and choke plate screws to keep them from coming loose. The service procedure was to replace shaft and screws. Dennis

Reactions: NCEvets
#4 ·
That makes sense. Perhaps also why the bearing kit comes with new screws. I think I'll try purple loctite on the screws instead of peening or damaging the new screw threads. Hope the purple stuff can handle non-ethanol 87 octane. A quick web search tells me people are using this on throttle plate screws.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.