Switch to full site
A forum to post about other vehicles (ex: post about your Toyota that won't start)
Post a reply

1951 chevy

Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:32 am

To many customization to list. I wish I could restore a 90-96 Trooper to this level of excellence however, it simply wouldn't be worth doing so. Can you guess what car the headlights are from?

Re: 1951 chevy

Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:59 am

Getting some Porsche 911 vibes from the headlights, or maybe a mini cooper

Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:21 am

Tentin wrote:Getting some Porsche 911 vibes from the headlights, or maybe a mini cooper

Good eye....Good eye. they are indeed Mini-Cooper Clubman headlights

Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:17 am

REALLY like the headlight mod. I wanted to say Mercedes, but I forgot about the Minis (and there's one parked 4 houses down from me). My kid brother has had about a dozen of those and still has one or two. Dennis

Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:05 am

Shawn
Much to like about the pickup. I also like the headlights, split front bumper, console looks very nice and functional, even the color suits the truck. Wondering why your choice of engines would be the Caddie northstar instead of a late model small block which seems to be most builders choice. Actually, I even like that choice as it will set the truck apart from all the others. No rear picture to see the bumper arrangement for the rear, but shows off the bed and wood inserts in the top of the bed sides. If I saw this at a car show, It would rate a longer look. Well done.....Harry

Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:55 am

Wow it looks like a lot of work and well done work at that. I used to own a 1953 5 window but never really finished it. Sold it about 10 years ago and have been kicking myself since.

I do prefer them stock or at least stock appearance but with that 3 speed they really aren't built for the street..............unless you never go over 45 mph

Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:37 pm

itsmehb wrote:Shawn
Much to like about the pickup. I also like the headlights, split front bumper, console looks very nice and functional, even the color suits the truck. Wondering why your choice of engines would be the Caddie northstar instead of a late model small block which seems to be most builders choice. Actually, I even like that choice as it will set the truck apart from all the others. No rear picture to see the bumper arrangement for the rear, but shows off the bed and wood inserts in the top of the bed sides. If I saw this at a car show, It would rate a longer look. Well done.....Harry

Thanks for your compliments. Most people usd a 350 engine becuase they a cheap and a easily repaired by a home level mechanic. I'm above the skill level of a home mechanic so that opened up a long list of amazing opitions. I considered using advance high powered V8 from Volvo, Yamaha and a Lexus before deciding on a Cadillac. The other problem with a 350 is out of the box most are not that powerful and they have a narrow powerband. This Northstar is over 400HP in its stock form . It features DOHC and VVTi on both cams giving it a huge power band. Another cool design element is it's all aluminum so it's lighter and the overall size is smaller. The starter is mounted under the intake which leaves a massive amounts of space below the engine for exhaust, suspension in my case a push button shifter actuator. The only thing that sucks about this engine is the water pump is at the rear. Which makes for some fancy firewall fabrication.

Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:15 pm

The only thing that sucks about this engine is the water pump is at the rear.

Was not aware of that. Water pump is usually driven by fan or timing belt. How is it driven, being on the rear of the engine?

Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:49 pm

itsmehb wrote:The only thing that sucks about this engine is the water pump is at the rear.

Was not aware of that. Water pump is usually driven by fan or timing belt. How is it driven, being on the rear of the engine?

The water pump is driven off a pulley that is attached the the back end of the driver's side intake camshaft. There is a small 3/4"-Ish wide x 12" long belt to drive the pump which has its own dedicated tensioner. The pump housing is casted into the coolant crossover that ties both cylender heads together. The water pump also requires a special socket for removal/installation

Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:37 am

Didn't know that about the water pump either. I used to work with 2 former "Cadillac mechanics". Between head gaskets and the starter, both hated the Northstar. I do know that there was at least one first gen Trooper that was converted to a Northstar.
On the Cooper headlights, I mentioned one that is a few doors up from me. That afternoon I ran into her in the store. Dennis
Post a reply