Isuzu SUV Forum banner

new daily driver

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Skeletor 
#1 ·
after over 25 years of Isuzu's....I've jumped ship.....as my new daily driver is a 1997 Toyota 4Runner....I recently sold off my '90 2.8 v6....but I'm still staying in the Trooper mode...as I'll begin the process of re building a '85 /86 2 dr...with it's underpowered 4 banger...but I'll go thru it, tweak the heck out of it..so it's be a great winter project....as for the 4Runner, wanted one for years.....especially the 3rd gen models. I picked up a LIMITED....and went thru it....upgraded the suspension..the works.....updated the rims from a tacoma....and put bigger tires......went underneath...cleaned up the frame..and primed it..then repainted.. as for the engine...new timing belt, new valve cover gaskets, all new 02 sensors, across the board....runs like a bat out of hell...

one thing I've noticed...decent horse power....and torque....and gas mileage, ain't too shabby.....and it has no problems on the interstate...staying ahead of those semi's...and going up those inclines...as I head into Nashville....my beloved Trooper(s) struggle like hell...as the horse power, just wasn't there....add to the mix, certain parts are getting harder and harder to locate..last time my trooper went down, took me close to 10 days, to locate a part...and it's only going to get worse, as our vehicles get up there in years...as there isn't a whole lot of 3 rd party OEM support, parts wise.....yet the 4 runners, still have parts up the ying yang.....

The 4runner forum, isn't half as fun as PlanetIsuzoo........lol

See less See more
#3 ·
and it has no problems on the interstate...staying ahead of those semi's...and going up those inclines...as I head into Nashville....my beloved Trooper(s) struggle like hell...as the horse power, just wasn't there....add to the mix, certain parts are getting harder and harder to locate..last time my trooper went down, took me close to 10 days, to locate a part...
Don't give up - I bought my '98 Trooper especially to get a more powerful, roomier SUV vs. that gen 4Runner. Compared to an older Trooper, yes, that gen 4Runner is different. Contemporary comparison is less favorable. They are good cars and I'm sure you will enjoy it; most owners do. But I'll take a '98 trooper vs a '98 4Runner all day long. ;)

#4 ·
My Mom has a 2002 4Runner SR5 bought new. It only has around 97,000 on the odometer. Runs and looks new. Every time she takes it to Toyota for servicing someone wants to drive it! The 195hp 3.4 runs out pretty good, lots of torque. Of course it's pulling around 4100 lbs or so.

I think my '90 3.4 Trooper could take it! Hers has an automatic so that's probably part of it. But hands down it's a far more comfortable driving experience, it's very smooth and quiet compared to my 30-yr-old rig. Well it should be, eh!

And you can't argue with reliability, these rigs will run forever. My brother has a '98 T100 with over 315,000 miles and the 3.4 in that truck runs as strong as the 4Runner. It is a bit snappier with a 5-speed, too.

I've seen Toyota rigs with 3.4's that had over 400,000 miles on them advertised for sale on Craigslist. Their reputation for longevity is well-earned.

The 4Runner has a lot less headroom than my Trooper, but it does have a sunroof and that drops things down a bit.

And one thing you won't have to worry about is blowing up the transmission! I've never heard of these having any type of serious transmission issues, unlike Gen II's.

I'm keeping my '90, though, it does everything I need it to do, and it's paid for! :mrgreen:

Cheers........ed

#5 ·
Myself, not a big fan of the later troopers...'97. '98, etc....too many issues with motors..and burning oil....but once one gets those issues sorted out, They are decent rides...I'm still a first gen guy at heart...but as I mentioned earlier, parts are getting harder to locate.....and yeah, you can't dismiss how well built, some of those four runners are...my '97, has 252,000 on it...and still looks like a new SUV....friend of mine, who cross trained me for 4runners, has a '92...with over 600,000 miles on it...and still running strong.....it's hard to overlook that type of mileage....as Toyota got it right...Isuzu, eventually, did not. It's sad that isuzu pulled out of the U.S. market.....in terms of passenger vehicles...they do still sell commercial trucks...but they are pretty much out of the North American market...I'll try and post some pics of my 4 runner...the current crop I shot, are 'too large' for the forum....so I'll give it another shot.....

I always thought the 3rd generation 4 runners, (97-06) especially the '97s,were well designed and built....in my opinion..and like Ed's trooper, my 4 runner is PAID for....LOL

#6 ·
Yeah, if a guy has to have a Gen II Trooper, best get a 5-speed and then hope the 3.5 is pretty well sorted-out and not an oil burner. The Trooper has quite a bit more interior space (volume and height) compared to the 4Runner.

My Mom's 4Runner with around 97K runs like new, drives like new, has not one rattle, and really hasn't had anything more than the normal maintenance at the local Toyota dealer. I keep telling her she's gonna have to replace the timing belt sooner or later, it doesn't have the miles on it but the dang thing is 17 years old! So that will be an expensive service but worth it. The 2002 was the last of that particular body style and IMHO, the best-looking. It's the perfect rig for her to run around in when she's not out driving one of her 2 Mustangs!

Don't really care for the 2003-up 4Runners. Although you've got to admire the newest version, it's quite a rig. But then you're talking what, 35K+ for a base model, 46K+ for one of the special editions, you're well over 50K out the door, or the price of a new Mustang GT with some nice performance options. We just cruised by the Ford dlr this week and a California Special GT had a sticker of over 50K. Unreal.

Sorry, NO WAY! That's why I'm keeping the one's I've got. Prices on these are just ridiculous. I'll just drive 'em 'til they break and then fix 'em again.

#7 ·
Ed Mc. said:
Yeah, if a guy has to have a Gen II Trooper, best get a 5-speed and then hope the 3.5 is pretty well sorted-out and not an oil burner. The Trooper has quite a bit more interior space (volume and height) compared to the 4Runner.

My Mom's 4Runner with around 97K runs like new, drives like new, has not one rattle, and really hasn't had anything more than the normal maintenance at the local Toyota dealer. I keep telling her she's gonna have to replace the timing belt sooner or later, it doesn't have the miles on it but the dang thing is 17 years old! So that will be an expensive service but worth it. The 2002 was the last of that particular body style and IMHO, the best-looking. It's the perfect rig for her to run around in when she's not out driving one of her 2 Mustangs!

Don't really care for the 2003-up 4Runners. Although you've got to admire the newest version, it's quite a rig. But then you're talking what, 35K+ for a base model, 46K+ for one of the special editions, you're well over 50K out the door, or the price of a new Mustang GT with some nice performance options. We just cruised by the Ford dlr this week and a California Special GT had a sticker of over 50K. Unreal.

Sorry, NO WAY! That's why I'm keeping the one's I've got. Prices on these are just ridiculous. I'll just drive 'em 'til they break and then fix 'em again.
I see where you are coming from....Myself, Any 4 runner after '99, isn't my cup of tea,as they began to bloat out, and looked over built, etc...the '97, in my opinion, came off well...still bad *** looking, and fairly easy to work on, or have serviced...I have a limited, so it has the upgraded interior, with trim and leather power seats..and it has a motorized sun roof...and the rear back window , is motorized...which makes it a treat to put it down.from time to time. And I concur with the 2003 and later vehicles...ugh.....but Toyota did get it right....and I've found that many prefer the 2nd or 3rd gen 4runners, over the Land cruisers...

Isuzu simply dropped the ball...as the Trooper/ rodeo got larger & more $$$$$, but the quality seems to have gone south....and the problems with oil burning really hurt those models....plus the usual rust issues.....I lucked out in getting my '97 Limited...and paid below market prices, as even those 97's still sell between 4-10k..23 years on....sorta mind blowing.....but parts are still easy to find, and there's any number of 3rd party vendors out there with OEM similar parts....and if you can't work on 'em, many garages still like to work on 'em.....and yeah, I'm not interested in the 'newer' 2015-2020 era...of toyota...too $$$$ too bloated ...but then again, I might be in the minority..as I know a lot of 4runner geeks, who are in love with 'em..go figure.

#8 ·
I'll try and post a pict of my '97 4 runner...if you see it..then I was successful in getting it posted....if not, back to the drawing board

hopefully, these will get posted.....'97 4Runner Limited.

Attachments

#9 ·
yeah, the pics posted...about time......as I mentioned earlier, big dif between first gen troopers, and 3rd gen 4runners, which seemed to be the most desirable model to hunt down, and tweak, etc.....First off, more raw HP, and torque.. able to travel on interstate, without huffing and puffing...and going uphill, on the way to Nashville, isn't a struggle....the 4 runner interior is much nicer and more comfortable than the average first gen interior....better a/c and much better carpet...but the main reason...THEY run and run and run...w/o issues...damn near bullet proof. mine down has 256k...as I've quickly racked up 6k...with no glitches ...knock on wood....I still love the first gens...classic body style...simple ,but useful interior...sorta a poor man's range rover....but they were sorely underpowered...even the 2.8 v6, huffs and puffs....and it only gets worse if you start updating with bigger tires....and isuzu had a good thing going, but instead of improving the original design and power plant, they allowed 'em to puff out, etc...and charge up they ing yang....and the later problems with oil burning, leaking, etc help usher isuzu out of the U.S. market........right now, parts are getting hard to find..especially OEM...what few..are crappy chinese 3rd party junk....being sold at auto zone , etc

My winter project will be a 2 dr. '86///5 speed...that needs some serious TLC....from top to bottom....

#10 ·
Skeletor said:
yeah, the pics posted...about time......as I mentioned earlier, big dif between first gen troopers, and 3rd gen 4runners, which seemed to be the most desirable model to hunt down, and tweak, etc.....First off, more raw HP, and torque.. able to travel on interstate, without huffing and puffing...and going uphill, on the way to Nashville, isn't a struggle....the 4 runner interior is much nicer and more comfortable than the average first gen interior....better a/c and much better carpet...but the main reason...THEY run and run and run...w/o issues...damn near bullet proof. mine down has 256k...as I've quickly racked up 6k...with no glitches ...knock on wood....I still love the first gens...classic body style...simple ,but useful interior...sorta a poor man's range rover....but they were sorely underpowered...even the 2.8 v6, huffs and puffs....and it only gets worse if you start updating with bigger tires....and isuzu had a good thing going, but instead of improving the original design and power plant, they allowed 'em to puff out, etc...and charge up they ing yang....and the later problems with oil burning, leaking, etc help usher isuzu out of the U.S. market........right now, parts are getting hard to find..especially OEM...what few..are crappy chinese 3rd party junk....being sold at auto zone , etc

My winter project will be a 2 dr. '86///5 speed...that needs some serious TLC....from top to bottom....
just replace my timing belt in my 4Runner...should be good for another 200k......a friend of mine's '92 4runner, has over 600k....mind boggling....

#11 ·
Skeletor said:
Skeletor said:

just replace my timing belt in my 4Runner...should be good for another 200k......a friend of mine's '92 4runner, has over 600k....mind boggling....
for those following the 4 runner...on april 29th, got hit by a driver, who lost control of his honda accord...took out passenger side front end, etc...presently at bump shop getting new sheet metal, etc....hope to her her back before June 1st.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.