Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Probably a result of marijuana legalization in WA...

6K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  itsmehb 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I have to agree with SRN. The 10K is a little steep (maybe if it were PROPERLY repainted or "excellent" original paint. The price of those IS skyrocketing. Down here, if you can find a nice one for say, $7,500.00, you found a deal. I had 2 of them. As for the "small car syndrome". To each his own. I enjoyed mine (and I'm 6'4''). Dennis

#6 ·
Enemigo said:
I just got a headache from rolling my eyes so hard at this post.

Oro's post, not the Craigslist ad, to be clear.
I completely accept that criticism.

I was trying to make a funny post in a hurry, and I struck the wrong tone.

I was leaving the next morning on a long road trip so is rushing through things. In fact, eight days later I'm still not home. We went to glacier national Park, Yellowstone, Cody for the Nite Rodeo, Jackson hole, snake River Canyon, Badlands of Oregon, now chilling on the Oregon coast (Yachats) before maybe Seattle area back tomorrow night. Odometer says we did 2300 miles since last Tuesday, and I figure less than 300 on interstate.

A few days ago, one person in the party thought it would be fun to finish the trip on the Oregon coast. I did a quick resource check and realized there was enough 9mm and room on the credit card left to make that reasonably safe. And here we are.

#8 ·
One of the cool things about the trooper is that it will probably never be 'gentrified'.
Samurai, Land cruiser, cherokee, 4runner, hilux, All of them have been driven up into these kinds of ridiculous prices by both the hipster market, and the "I KNOW WHAT I HAVE" crowd.

Isuzu, on the other hand, isn't very well known outside of box trucks. They don't have enough of a profile to warrant that kind of attention, and even if they did, there's still not very many first gens left. Least there's less to fall into the hands of annoying car youtubers. (touch wood!)

#9 ·
aidan7777 said:
One of the cool things about the trooper is that it will probably never be 'gentrified'.
Samurai, Land cruiser, cherokee, 4runner, hilux, All of them have been driven up into these kinds of ridiculous prices by both the hipster market, and the "I KNOW WHAT I HAVE" crowd.

Isuzu, on the other hand, isn't very well known outside of box trucks. They don't have enough of a profile to warrant that kind of attention, and even if they did, there's still not very many first gens left. Least there's less to fall into the hands of annoying car youtubers. (touch wood!)
Hagerty and various other outlets seem to be of the opinion that 1st Gen Troopers and Vehicross's are "future classics". And I've noticed 1st Gen's starting to tick up a bit. I saw the same thing with Samurai's, started with a small uptick, then they started to skyrocket. I think it'll happen with Trooper's, perhaps not to Land Cruiser levels, but there will be a day when you're hard pressed to find a clean runner for cheap anymore.

Stealth collectibles - five "under the radar" classic cars

#10 ·
The article's dated 2016, but hey, old cars have got to become 'classics' someday.

Suppose we'll enjoy the low barrier for entry til the hipsters roll in.

Here's hoping it revives the moribund aftermarket, though. Most of the parts i've ordered are listed for a rodeo! (all of them so far have fit, rodeo and post '88 trooper share a ton of parts)

#11 ·
A low mile, superb condition 1986 turbo diesel trooper went for 17k on BAT recently. Whether they actually get paid or not is another thing. But great condition examples of 1st gen troopers, p'ups, amigos and such are going for good money already. I doubt they will get into the 2k+ for a "clean but no drivetrain" or "running rust bucket" area anytime soon, but clean original rigs will get harder and harder to find, and therefore more expensive.

#12 ·
I just had a look at that listing. It says it was sold on the 22nd.
17k isn't too unreasonable. 40,000 miles and no rust is near as damn new old stock for an '86, especially considering how rare first gens are getting.
The other listings alongside arent too frugal, either. 10000, 11000, 8500, Pretty okay prices when you're talking about mint condition cars.

Really could do a lot worse, I've seen a volkswagen combi go for 10k with BIG holes in the floorboard, and a missing engine + transmission. Clear result of an A4 sized dose of LSD back in its day..

#13 ·
aidan7777 said:
...Clear result of an A4 sized dose of LSD back in its day..
:lol: :lol: :lol:

#14 ·

Attachments

#16 ·
SRN said:
I guess the frame and the body are still Samurai on that? And I don't think the spare will help out much...
Good catch, I didn't notice that first time around. I guess if the same size wheel and tire were to be put in the spare position the thing would sit on it's rear!

#17 ·
Maybe it's a 33" "doughnut spare" :lol: Dennis

#18 ·
DSUZU said:
Maybe it's a 33" "doughnut spare" :lol: Dennis
Didn't think of that either. That would make more sense than putting a huge same size one in that position. Just enough to get one back to civilization if in the boonies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.