Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Honda Door lock actuator problem (?)

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Oro 
#1 ·
The front passenger door lock mechanism isn't working on my step-son's 2003 Civic EX.

It is inconsistent, you can operate it some times but then it will trap you inside and the pull-lock won't work and the handle won't work. Key and outer handle always work. After playing with it a bit, I decided it must be the actuator as nothing else seems wrong. The lock doesn't function normally if you key the central lockign switch - it moves slightly but doesn't lock/unlock. Fair note, the car has been sitting a lot for a few months not being driven.

I am wondering, is there a way to try lubing some part of the actuator? I ask as we had this problem when we got the car with the rear passenger door. I ordred and actuator, and by the time it arrived and I went to isntall it, voila - problem gone and everything working, me holding a new and unneccessary actuator!

My thought is to drive it a bit and see if it comes back, but I am wondering what makes these act up - I have never had this problem in another car (non-Honda). Is it sticking seals, or...? Not too familiar with these particular actuator mechanisms.

#2 ·
the 2006 chevy trucks at my old job always have issues with the door locks. many years of use, and fine dust / dirt get inside them and chew them up. at least for those ones.
compare voltage side to side, maybe a poor ground, or damaged wires in the loom, that goes from the body to door....another problem with chevy trucks. i have replaced a few of those, alot of wires run thru them.

#3 ·
I opened it up last night to fetch out something, and I played with the lock switch. The pass. door in question worked for about five cycles and then seized again.

I think I will take some contact cleaner I have, put a nozzle on it and try to clean the cracks/crevices/contacts on it if I can get it back in there. If it works after that then spray some lube and see if it stays.

After a lot of years with Isuzu, Toyota, Lexus, I have to say this Honda (well kept, mild climate, reasonable mileage) is not in the same league and is as problematic as my old BMWs and Audis. Whenever I research a problem, the forums are all, "oh yeah that's common." A lot of them should not be common.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.