Isuzu SUV Forum banner

2009 Ruckus Adventure Scooter Project

19K views 46 replies 6 participants last post by  DSUZU 
#1 ·
What got me here is what happened over the past couple of years.

After a few years of rocky trail riding I was exposed to overlanding. Somewhere in the midst of this phase I bumped into the Mountains-to-Sea Trail which got me thinking about exploration via other means than behind the wheel of my old, wonky Trooper. This led to a 200 mile journey down the Neuse River in North Carolina in a modified fishing pontoon boat I got on Craigslist for $120... "source to sea" is what I'm told is the hipster term to use:

River travel quickly consumed me. I went on to plot and run another few hundred miles on different rivers and creeks, switching between the "banana boat" as my family calls it and a 12 foot fishing kayak, another Craigslist special:

When I've been close to home my wife has been generous enough to drop me off and pick me up from my launch and takeout points. At longer distances from home I started to incorporate an old Trek mountain bike into the mix... drop off the boat and gear trailer at the launch, drive down to the takeout, bike back up to the launch, float/paddle to the takeout, drive to the launch, pick up the gear trailer and head home. Rinse, repeat. 10-20 mile rides were fine, 20-30 mile rides were not that fun and 35+ just plain sucked.

That's where the 1974 Piaggio Ciao I picked up for $50 on Craigslist came in, another thread for another day:

Two problems. Once fully restored the concern about theft increased dramatically, and while it's a blast to ride the top speed is around 20 MPH on flat ground and hills brings the poor thing to its knees. That, at long last, brings us to this, a 2009 Honda Ruckus that I got last weekend... yep, on Craigslist for $300:

There's the back story, I'll move on to the actual project next! :thumbup:

Jonathan

See less See more
#27 ·
DSUZU said:
What's the orange bottle?
It's a small 30 oz. aluminum canister with spare fuel, I'll probably add one more to get me roughly half a tank to get out of a pinch if needed. I was actually already saved by it once, unbeknownst to me the low fuel indicator wasn't working and I ran dry... a few more test rides will hopefully shake the little things like this out! :shock:

Jonathan

#29 ·
Back when I worked on medical equipment, nitrous was blue. Dennis

#31 ·
So what kind of area is that you are driving it in? A back road? Or just a wooded area? Can off roaders use that area? Dennis

#32 ·
DSUZU said:
So what kind of area is that you are driving it in? A back road? Or just a wooded area? Can off roaders use that area? Dennis
Delayed reply due to a work trip to Nashville... I was riding down along a river not too far from me, there was a main gravel road that led down to an old dam then a lot of offshoots like this one that led to various water and electrical access points which now appear to be used mostly by people hunting and fishing in the area. It's not what I'd call a destination for full-size vehicles, but a fun spot for the Ruckus!

Speaking of which, I spent a little time yesterday doing some prep for my next wave of river trips. I had originally planned on modifying my small gear trailer (formerly the original "Shaggy Shack") to accommodate my gear and the Ruckus, but after pricing out what it would cost for a ramp, wheel chock, strap points, etc. I decided to go with a Harbor Freight receiver carrier instead. This worked perfectly as designed on my wife's Tiguan, but not so much on the Trooper due to the rear spare tire... easily fixed with a few alterations to reverse the direction the Ruckus faced while in transit:

I'm still not sure where my gear box (fancy term for an old Sears S-Cargo luggage carrier) is going to go since I won't have an easy way to open the rear doors with the Ruckus loaded up, sounds like a good way to spend part of a Saturday to me. :D

Jonathan

#33 ·
I'm diggin the whole project. :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure you've thought about this, but, don't forget to move your tag plate on the Trooper so it can be seen from behind while carrying that Ruckus... nothing like a ticket to ruin an adventure. :roll:

Didn't that guy in Scooby Doo cartoon ride a scooter also? :lol:

#34 ·
You know, I must confess that I hadn't really thought about the fact that the plate was completely obscured so really glad you said something! :thumbup:

And yes... the resemblance to someone here on the Planet is uncanny. :mrgreen:

Jonathan

#35 ·
Damn Jon, I'm away from the forum for a bit and look at what you get into. Beautiful job on that little scooter, you will have a ball riding that thing. Please let me know when you buy a helicopter off Craig's List so I can follow that build from start to finish instead of having to catch up on your shenanigans in one sitting :lol:
You planning on URE in November?
Willie

Reactions: shaggydoink
#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
John, this thread got me so inspired that I "doinked" my Honda this week.
XL125 after 001.JPG

I've had the bike (a 1976) for about 20 years now. It had been stored inside an old 7-Eleven store for about 20 years when I bought it. Over the 20 years I've owned and used it, the condition started to drop. The front fender (originally white plastic) started cracking from age, and a long split formed in the front of it. I bought a nice OEM replacement off ebay, but it was orange. I originally primed it and was going to paint it and the rear silver, but the primer crazed when I started applying the top coat. So I stripped the fender back to original bare plastic, roughed it up a little, wiped it down with lacquer thinner and shot Duplicolor Chevy Orange on it. Seemed to stick well and was a close match for the original Honda orange on the tank. Did the same with the rear fender, then scuffed the tank and shot it (about 2 cans total). I added a few coats of clear on the fenders, and put repro decals on the tank (which I ordered about 6 months ago :roll:). After about a week of curing, I will clear coat the tank over the decals and all. Not perfect, but I'm pleased with the results and it's all back together. Dennis
(now to get back to the Cat Boat, the Coot ATV, and the OTHER Honda Xl125...

Attachments

Reactions: shaggydoink
#37 ·
DSUZU said:
John, this thread got me so inspired that I "doinked" my Honda this week.
OK, new add to the bucket list... goggles on, hair back ride with Dennis. Me come to you? You come to me? Meet in the middle? :mrgreen:

Jonathan

#38 ·
wmorrisiii said:
Please let me know when you buy a helicopter off Craig's List so I can follow that build from start to finish instead of having to catch up on your shenanigans in one sitting :lol:
A jet ski is what I've been eyeing next... but hmmm...... a helicopter? :mrgreen:

Are you going to be out at URE in November? Long story, but I haven't been out there for a while... might be time for me...

Jonathan

#39 ·
Same, I've been mia at URE for a few years now. Not sure how that happened, but plan on being there in Nov for at least a day and a night. Getting some parts from Leland for the 87 and I think Jerry is trucking them up. Regardless, I still to see everyone and get my URE fix.

Jet skis are fun and probably a good interim project before you start on the helicopter...lol

#40 ·
I've never been to URE or Uwharrie (are they the same). To be truthful, I really don't get out (of state) much unless we are flying or our every 3-5 year "Family reunion". I am actually planning to be in North Carolina the week of Thanksgiving (was supposed to be Labor Day, but that's "Hurricane Weekend"). I will be in the Asheville / Waynesville area, but don't know what my schedule be like. While I'd like to make a rack and put the Honda on the back of the car, I doubt the wife would go for that :roll:
Dennis

#41 ·
I think you'd like URE Dennis, inexpensive weekend in the very beautiful NC mountains. Putting faces to names and postings is worth the trip, not to mention seeing Jerry. Still a few of us old guys left although the great Squatch and Joe D have to look on from elsewhere now.

And I should say it's an inexpensive weekend unless you get frisky and break your truck. I hear Jon is coming in by JetSki or helicopter this year so that should be exciting. As far as you coming I can almost guarantee that everyone will know you just based on your postings and all the help and advice you have offered over the years. I remember when you hit 5000 posts, I thought that was a big deal, and that has been like 3 or 4 years ago.

#42 ·
That's a cool project buddy I love it !! Not sure you ever caught the trail 90 posts I put up but I did get it running just sadly the frame or outer parts (extremities) are so pitted up from mouse pee it's almost hopeless ... It runs like a top and I've done 40 plus with it , still a little big for my boy to ride yet..

It's cool seeing all your adventures and journies dude , very awesome to say the least !!

#43 ·
bradzuzu said:
It's cool seeing all your adventures and journies dude , very awesome to say the least !!
Thanks for the kind words Brad. A Trail 90 is on my always growing bucket list, I'm off to find the thread! :)

As for the Ruckus, it's been absolutely perfect for my river trips thus far. There is a degree of risk leaving it (and my Trooper) at the boating access areas as some are pretty remote, but I've chosen to believe that people will do the right thing and leave things be. Whether that faith will burn me is to be seen I guess.

Here's the little zipper "on the job" last weekend, I'm currently paddling the Yadkin River from start to finish and hope to pick up and continue down the Pee Dee River to the South Carolina coast:

Fun stuff! :thumbup:

Jonathan

#45 ·
I think I posted a picture or two in my trooper build thread but that's all , sorry man it's not on the chopping block yet but maybe one of these days , I have an old riding lawn mower down at work (still buried in the forest at the neighbors) that my son wants to build a race tractor out of lol , the v twins sound awesome with dual exhaust , so before the weather gets to bad I need to dig it out and bring it home (lawn mower races) to start messing with !!

You might think about disabling both rigs along with chaining them to something if all possible , I feel your worrisome disposition buddy ..

#46 ·
bradzuzu said:
I have an old riding lawn mower down at work (still buried in the forest at the neighbors) that my son wants to build a race tractor out of lol
Oooh, I hope this is a project you're able to tackle, I'd love to see it!! :mrgreen:

Jonathan

#47 ·
bradzuzu said:
I have an old riding lawn mower down at work (still buried in the forest at the neighbors) that my son wants to build a race tractor out of lol , the v twins sound awesome with dual exhaust , so before the weather gets to bad I need to dig it out and bring it home (lawn mower races) to start messing with !!
Hmmmmmm. Do you still have the V-6 that came out of your Trooper?????? Just sayin. :lol: Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.