Isuzu SUV Forum banner

FREE VIN CHECK

26K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Bugsy99 
#1 ·
Got this from another forumn:

250,000 vehicles were damaged by flood waters during Hurricane Sandy. Many of those vehicles are starting to turn up on the used car market. Unscrupulous dealers may not tell you that a vehicle has been damaged in this way.

The National Insurance Crime Bureau has a web site that can tell you if a vehicle has been part of an insurance claim. Anyone can check 5 VINs in a 24 hour period for free.

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck/vincheck

#3 ·
Med!c said:
this is pretty awesome! this should be stickied.
I just "reported" you so the mods can see the request :mrgreen:

Good idea also

#4 ·
So i checked it out and it tells me my truck has never been stolen or totaled. What about insurance claims like fender benders, hail, etc.. Did i miss something or do they not go that far into it?

#5 ·
This is not definitive. Insurance companies have ways of reselling cars without it showing up on radar. It's all about money. There are several insurance auto auctions near me and they can get more money for a car if they don't report it as being totaled or salvaged. Also, the people that rebuild these cars often have methods of "washing" the title.

#6 ·
This is mainly for just checking the storm damaged vehicles that were reported I am sure thousads morewill not show.....THIS IS JUST ANOTHER TOOL to use when looking for a used vehicle common sence and other ways of inspection are needed......remember this is only a TOOL not the definent(s/p) answer...
Back to normal station

#7 ·
And a free tool to boot, excellent find I might add.

#9 ·
Well, in 2007 my pup had 227k on it, it has 236k on it now lol, 3k which I've put in past 3 months

#10 ·
Don't worry. My isuzu truck sits for long periods as well. I might have 10K in 5 years maximum. Longest distance I drive that is to offroad trails. **** I wonder if I've only changed the oil twice in that truck...

Wonder what my vin says. I can still see the wording that was on the side of the truck. "Buddy Norton's heating and airconditioning". (Janitrol)- one of it's previous lives. Thought about bringing it back when the truck gets repainted... Kinda retro, ya know?

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.