Coronavirus.

Use this forum to post about something that doesn't fit in any other topic (ex: link to the picture of the Toyota in a sink-hole)

Moderator: Staff

Re: Coronavirus.

Postby trailhound » Sun May 31, 2020 8:16 pm

Here we are into June and our state (South Dakota) is open for business. Most of the people I know think it's too soon. We were hit pretty hard here with our meat plant having so many cases. Our Governor seems to think if we have another spike we'll be fine. I guess we'll see. I'm interested to hear what people are thinking about states reopening, and what kind of impact this virus is going to have.

Stay safe!

Linda
3.2L v6 4x4 auto soft-top (Hard top for winter)
Work in progress
trailhound
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Postby DSUZU » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:47 pm

Florida is opening back up - CAUTIOUSLY. I have mixed feelings. If folks use caution, this could work. If folks slack off on precautions, it could flare up. People can''t just not work for this long. Businesses can't stay closed this long. The economy has ALREADY suffered enough.
On the other hand: Seeing these IDIOTS protesting in large - yet largely unprotected crowds, lets see what comes of this. Already, there were 5 local police officers exposed to a potentially infected protester.
Please note that the term IDIOTS above does no mean I disagree with the protests. I support change. Change among law enforcement people in the way they treat folks (particularly people of color), and there needs to be change in the way people respond when interacting with law enforcement. My sensible black friends (and I have many) have told their sons "cooperate with 'the man' and don't give him a reason to use deadly force on you". If one resists, it can go down hill fast. If one cooperates, it SHOULD go much better. I haven't watched the knee to the neck video. I condemn the way the officer did that, but there is no video showing what happened BEFORE the confrontation.
As for looters - whether it is after a disaster, or during a riot - I think they should be shot. Gee, I think I just hijacked my own thread. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 885 times

Postby itsmehb » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:19 pm

I came back to this post several times before adding this post. My heart is sad for our country today. Our young people are easily misled. Always remember , there is always two sides to every pancake. For every policeman who had to get rough with an arrest there is always that person resisting totally disregarding any command. There would be a lot fewer cases if there was restraint on both sides. And with the recent event, if he had just sat in the back seat where they were trying to put him, he would still be alive. I know we have professional agitators wo think every event is white's fault. Is it white's fault that blacks have close to 70% of familys with no father around. Is it white's fault that lots of black females have several children from several different men. I wonder where my white privledge was when I was chasing jobs all over the country from one coast to the other and living pay check to paycheck for my entire working career, and now I see where the leftists want to just give away free college, universal rent control, guaranteed income. The helping hand there seeking for there followers is already on there follower's arms. I may get blasted for this, but political correctness isn't my strong point.
Last edited by itsmehb on Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

Golf is just an expensive way to play marbles
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 290 times

Postby DSUZU » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:06 pm

This guy (my local hero) says it all perfectly. https://www.wfla.com/news/polk-county/s ... locked-up/ We went out to our favorite dive for lunch today. 2 black guys, two white guys. A black friend stopped by this afternoon, we talked about this for about an hour out in my driveway - folks driving by were double taking (I live in a roughly 50-50 racially diverse neighborhood - BY CHOICE. We are also on a fairly well traveled road. It is good for folks to talk about this. All in these discussions agreed the rioters, thieves, and troublemakers are HURTING the black cause. Dennis
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby 93trooperpooper » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:21 am

i know that employers are using this virus to lay off or terminate senior workers that are higher up on the pay scale. have heard that from alot of people. then their old boss hires new guys at minimum wage as a replacement. hey, i get it, everyone is hurting right now, every business wants to save money, everyone wants to make money- its a vicious cycle.

i have had job interviews, but i have heard the same thing- ''we cant pay you what you are worth at this time'' -we are looking for people in the entry level position.....um

most places require red seal or ticketed people, or minimum 2~5 years experience, safety tickets, blah blah blah
i got all of that. but nobody wants to pay above minimum wage. they would rather pay for inexperience.
will drive these until they quit and move onto something else.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby DSUZU » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:18 pm

I worked for a place in 1981 that was SO CHEAP, that after 2 years, they got rid of me so they could hire a replacement at minimum wage to save money. The sad thing was I was making just under 5.00 per hour at the time. Even more sad, we were working on medical LIFE SUPPORT equipment. The boss used to bring customers through the building and he would show off "our highly skilled technicians". They froze our pay for a year claiming "cost savings". At the end of that year, the boss came around claiming we each had received a "merit raise" based on our productivity. He didn't know that we all compared our raises and found we had each received 10% rounded down in the company's favor (10% was about the national average back then).
I started my next job at 5.00 per hour. Had about a 1.25 per hour raise in less than 6 months based on my talents and skills. Left there when The City of St Pete Fleet Department started me at 7.29, which the employer I was leaving offered to match. Yes, times are tough. Yes, there are cheap places out there. GOOD folks are hard to find, and often appreciated when they are. Hang in there. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby 93trooperpooper » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:24 am

i remember my parents starting me out at $7 an hour, almost 35 years ago-around 10 or 12 years old. i started work at a young age, dropped out halfway thru grade 10 ( that is another story) plus i wasnt being paid to go to school-stayed with the family biz thru it all, got married and had my 1st child, got a raise to $7.50- then after my second child, had to fight and scratch and moan to get up to $9.50- my dad became really ill and passed 4 months later, then 3 months after his passing my brother AND mother called a family business meeting, and blamed ME for my fathers death- what ? he had heart/ lung issues, but was never a smoker. my brother claimed absolute control of the family business at that '' meeting''- so, my wife and i made the choice to leave the family business, find something different.
the sister n law got me in at a mobile home manufacturing plant, and i was blown away with the pay of $12 an hour plus overtime plus BENEFITS...my work ethic quickly got me up to $18 an hour, in less than a year. i found it weird when the other co-workers told me to ''slow down, you are making us look bad''
sorry, thats my work ethic. they tried me in a foreman position for a month, but that was too much for me back then, plus they were trying to use me as a scapegoat- first day in they gave me a list of people to fire on the spot- people i worked on the floor with...really.
that job slowed down when the bottom fell out of the housing market. actually took a transfer to a sister company, and the same thing happened there. got laid off.
had a roofing job for -one day - the owner turned out to be a drunk, had no gas in his work truck ( had to take my car, 2 hour drive) and the big red flag- when i opened the pass side door of his work truck a bunch of empty beer cans fell out...HELL NO

got a job at a multi-million dollar construction company, worked hard, got rewarded for it- they startd me at $18 / hr plus benefits- they had to compete with the oilfield industry wage scale, in order to keep employess around-and i took some schooling, challenged the tests for my heavy duty on / off road red seal certificates and got them, fast forward to 2019, i was at $32/ hr +benefits- still well below in my area what the industry average was paying, but i was happy to be home every night.

then the virus showed up and ruined everything. but, maybe for the better.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:02 pm

geez another @#%$ bill i dont need right now- went out back to fix some wind damaged siding and up on the roof to repair a whirlly- bird vent-i had the siding to repair the damaged stuff, and a good used turbine for the roof- could see some abnornmal ground color around the septic tank- [email protected]@# TANK OVERFLOWING just had it pumped a few months ago he made a comment on the field i hope it isnt screwed . a cheap bill to fix if it is,- ONLY BETWEEN $7~15 k
sure, i'll just pull MORE money from thin air to fix this issue. i hate dealing with honey pots. my dad did that job for awhile, had a good friend fall in a tank and die. my dad only mentioned the story a few times. but he was very adamant that NOBODY goes around an open tank, esp if it was holding any type of liquid.
that happened almost 70 yesars ago, before there were very many rules regarding safety.

man, 2020 sucks
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby Enemigo » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:31 am

Could be worse. I took this picture less than a month ago. Winds came through and did a bunch of damage in town. Must have broken the septic tank cause that's the CAT 3 water at the base of that tree. Well, I don't know anything about septic systems. Maybe that's not any worse.

1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Trail Master

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:36 pm

great now its raining like crazy and calling for rain the next 3 days grr no septic field work, way too wet.
had the family dog put to sleep 2 weeks ago. cancer
news thru the family that one of my aunts passed away from cancer
the kid broke his new phone, that we put on my plan-ONLY $1100 to replace- just got him the phone for so he can keep in touch, and for his work-
laptop crapped out x2 stuck using this stupid tablet
my wifes ms is getting worse, new health coverage wont cover her meds- one alone is almost $1,000 a month
i know where i have money, but its not a proper way to get it.

at least i got my furnace fixed, makes great heat, now that summer is here...ffs
going thru my options trying to figure stuff out.
my son saw my former employer and ALL the guys working, except for me. a$$hole.
i am so tired of all the bs
debating on selling all my junk and moving into a condo so i dont have to fix anything. buy a new vehicle with warranty so i dont need to fix it myself. i enjoy fixing stuff, but getting tired of it. i will not open my own shop, i hate dealing with people and their stupidity. its everwhere.

covid rates have been slowing down rather nicely- only 5 new cases this last week, province wide. not bad.
still doesnt fix the unemployment problem . hearing the same story from different people, getting shit-canned from their job due to ''covid'' only to find out their old employer hired someone to fill there spot for cheaper wages.

2020 is a bag of poop. lots of poop.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:28 pm

bye.its been fun. i'm out
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby Enemigo » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:04 am

Rage quitting a website that has nothing to do with personal struggles probably won't help anything. Best of luck.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Trail Master

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby Skeletor » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:11 pm

giusedtobe wrote:This was the local grocery last weekend. I got a kick out of the fact that even with ridiculous panic toilet paper hoarding people still don't want the cheap scratchy stuff Lol.

can't say I blame 'em.....sheesh, ever used some of that low budget bargain T-paper ? horrors ! LOL
1990 Trooper V6 (sold) 1991 Trooper LS V6, (sold) 1990 Trooper V6, 2006 Pontiac Solstice,(sold) 1966 MG Midget, 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
Skeletor
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 41 times

Postby 93trooperpooper » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:50 pm

120 cases TODAY in my province alone, for a total of almost 500 and the week isnt over......and they want to open more stuff up.
small town a few miles away in another province is returning to full lockdown....

at least i got a new job.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby DSUZU » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:15 am

I stopped trying to keep up with how many cases in our area (just the County). There were over 20 that DIED just the other day. Of course, we have somewhere between 300K and maybe a half a million people crammed into this area. One can't believe the news, and we can't trust our government (tourist based) for true and accurate reporting. They (government) had a staff person for this, but FIRED her because she wouldn't "play the game". This was in the beginning. Now SHE has filed whistleblower charges against them. I hope she wins. We also have a recent report that the clinics are not giving factual reports of negative vs positive test results. The only thing we can trust is our OWN preventative practices.
On the good side: glad to hear you got a job. More about that? Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby 93trooperpooper » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:50 pm

small local power tool / lawn equipment repair company. really busy, lots of stuff to fix. i know the owner very well, he had sold the company but stayed around to help out- i saw an ad that they were looking for small engine mechanics, so i dropped off a resume at 10 in the morning and at 3 in the afternoon the new owners called and asked if i could start the next day and that i was HIGHLY recommeneded by the previous owner and staff ( i always went there for power tool parts and what not)
so of course i said yes !
they had a hard time getting guys to even show up to work, cuz of the gubberment covid kickbacks...but i needed something to do, and i enjoy tinkering on small gas stuff and some electronics.....win win
there are only 6 of us there, 2 of us fixing stuff, the two new owners, the parts guy and the paperwork girl....there was another ''mechanic'' but they let him go due to his crappy attitude and poor workmanship. he threatened them with '' pay me $25 an hour or i'm outta here, my buddy is starting a shop and he will pay me that''
so....they let him go. no way that hackjob was worth $25 an hour, let alone the $18 he was getting.....his work was terrible. they lost $1000 + due to his work returning in one month alone, and i have been re- doing his return work as it comes in...even his stuff waiting for pick-up that he has ''repaired '' was not working properly.
embarassed when someone picks up a snowblower, you fire it up and its still puking fuel ( the complaint) as well as the auger didnt even work.
what a moron.

already got a raise, due to the fact i know what i am doing, and nobody needs to hold my hand. maybe he was intimidated by a new hire actually knowing how to do something.
plus the fact that he wore an ear bud to ''listen'' to the radio that was thru his phone....even tho there was a work radio there- new guy and myself plugged it in and he complained it wasnt the country station.....hmmm
i walked past his repair station a few times and noticed him watching disney cartoons and the fast and the furious...
then overheard conversations about buying and selling lawnmowers on facecrack, during work hours...yeah right that earbud was for country music...let alone ohsa really frowns upon that-earplugs are ok, earbuds for music NOT ok....

i think he worked himself out of a job.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby 93trooperpooper » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:57 pm

oh and on monday our local wal-mart is making masks MANDATORY for everyone. i wonder how that will go over.
parts from JERRY LEMOND.
93trooperpooper
Trail Master

Postby N law » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Whew, what a thread to catch up on. It was actually amusing to read from start to finish since I had already forgotten about the toilet paper phase!

My family has been deemed essential workers (construction and medical), so we didn’t miss much work. My wife had to furlough one day a week back in April, and she voluntarily took a second day to keep the kids out of day care (yes it was still open and serving essential workers). The other three days, it was daddy daycare in my work truck. It was a lot of half days, long naps in the car. We used walkie talkies while I was in job site meetings (never out of eye sight). We did that until a tornado ripped through our area. We only had one tree down, but a neighbors grandson (same age as my boy- we’ve swam together and went to Halloween parties together) was killed when the house collapsed on him. The kids’ daycare had a tree land on it, so they finally closed for two weeks. Covid disappeared for a week or two, at least from everyone’s minds. Humanity reappeared for a moment. Eventually, the county reopened and we returned our kids back to daycare and we both went back full time.

My brother lives in Dublin and they were on heavy lock down. He got pulled over going to the store. They finally escaped to the states and got a 3 week vacation in a more reasonable lock down. We got to do a week at the beach, but it was at a remote beach house, so it was very low key. Probably safer than being at home!

Right before the 4th, I had some exposures through work. We had a safety meeting at work, with everyone in a giant circle. Later that day, one of the guys at work got news that his wife got tested that day out of convenience (new test site opened up close to home). She came back positive. Then one of the kids in another class at day care tested positive. That Wednesday night I developed symptoms. Thursday I felt like I was dying. It felt like the pains of a head cold but all my congestion was in my chest. I had a really sore throat. I got tested Thursday and on the 4th, we got news that I was negative. I would have bet money that I had it, but it was a clear negative.

Last Friday, my father in law attended a funeral for a family friend. The news has since reported that family members were infectious during the funeral. My wife and kids went swimming with her dad and mom her aunt’s pool on Sunday. Monday, he became symptomatic. He tested positive, so everyone else got tested yesterday. Luckily, my wife and kids got negative results late last night.

These two events have been very anxiety inducing and stressful. I can’t imagine if any of us had tested positive and had to endure 2 weeks or more on lock down.

I’ve had to postpone and finally cancel a large car show that we host. Despite a county wide mask mandate that is in effect, I was told by both the venue and the county health department that we could still host the event and not require masks to be worn, provided adequate distance was maintained. I’m talking 4-5,000 people from surrounding states mingling in a large parking lot. We canceled out of fear that we would be a news headline. I’m still blown away that we were told by the Health Department that it would have been ok...

Long post. Stay safe everyone!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
1990 Jeep Cherokee
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limited
2018 4Runner Limited- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
2018 GMC Sierra
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 80 times

Postby DSUZU » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:22 am

Wow Nick. Didn't realize you had been through so much. Glad all came through it okay. Sorry to hear about the friend's child. That is always tragic. Also bummer about the car show (VWs ?). Well, better safe than sorry. I just had my wife refrain from attending a women's thing ("Hen party" as I call it) because the host said "there will be fewer than 10 so you don't have to wear a mask". And then she had invited someone with possible covid in their family. I'm like REALLY??????. Good to hear from you. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby itsmehb » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:11 pm

Been hanging on down here in Texas. The cases are high here, and this weekend Nascar is here for there twice a year visit. I usually try to attend one of the events, but not this year, even though there will be fans at todays race. Had eye surgery last week, and everyone had masks on including me. So far so good and will get the other eye done next week. We are able to shelter here at home going out weekly for a food run. Feel for you guys that have to go out in all this to work. I know, as I have kids and even grand kids in the work force and I hear from then on the hardships. What a mess we are finding ourselves in, with our country falling apart (portland) and then this Virus. Hard to stay positive. Take good care all.......Harry
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

Golf is just an expensive way to play marbles
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 290 times

Postby SRN » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:17 pm

Last night I got home from a 4,200 mile road trip through seven states (eight if you count the I-15 corridor of Arizona). My wife and I stayed in 12 different hotels in cities large and small, camped at four different campgrounds, ate at many restaurants, went on a whale watching tour, shopped in stores, hung out on beaches, went on hikes... basically all the normal stuff you'd do on a vacation. The only "restrictions" were that Washington, Oregon, California, and Nevada all reacquired you to wear a mask while indoors in stores, California only allowed outdoor dining and all state parks in CA were closed. Aside from that, it was business as usual and neither of us got sick (I guess we still have a few weeks to see if we have the 'VID).

We shut down from the news and forums for most of the trip and just enjoyed taking a once in a lifetime trip along the entire Pacific Coast Highway. Sure, it sucked to wear a mask during the whole whale watching tour in Monterey Bay, but we saw 11 Humpback whales literally right next to the boat! Small price to pay.

I bring this up in this thread primarily to say, "Live your life!". COVID-19 is here to stay, and whether you think it's a giant government conspiracy or the new Black Death; most people and places are just going about their daily lives as best as they can.
SRN
Trail Master

Have thanks: 38 times

Previous

Return to General Chit Chat