The Phoenix Rises

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

The Phoenix Rises

Postby Oregon RS » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:51 am

Hello everyone,
I drove Mr. White this evening for the first time since picking it up from Ed's place in Poulsbo on the 19th of July, so I it seems like good day to begin my Phoenix Build Thread. For those of you who didn't catch the recent posts about my Red RS being totaled a while back, I was lucky enough to pick up a white 89 RS from EdMc. to ease my pain. ( Thanks again for the great RS, Ed ! Amy and I enjoyed meeting you and your daughter too. )

I'm not planning to turn Mr White into a monster trail truck or anything like that, but plan on building a combination daily driver / expedition rig by improving on everything learned from working on Mr. Red over the years.

Anyway...on with the thread ! :lol: :drunken:

I drove the new truck down to my friend Curtis's place the day after we got back from Poulsbo, and parked it nose to nose with the old one so they could meet each other before the heart transplant began. Mr. Red was already prepped for the operation, so I jumped into getting Mr. White ready to receive the donor engine. I was pleased to see that the new rig didn't have AC, since I was planning on deleting mine anyway, and I decided to take advantage of the swap to delete the smog pump and related items and test my idea for plugging the air rail holes.

I guess the accident loosened up some bolts on Mr. Red, 'cause the engine / transmission bolts came out without any fight.
Mr. White wasn't willing to let go so easily, but I was able to get all the bolts out by holding my mouth just right.
The fact that the upper e/t bolts that hold the rear cooling line were missing didn't exactly break my heart, either...

One thing I'll say about this job...LOAD LEVELERs ROCK !
That thing made the process of pulling both engines and sliding my newer engine into Mr. White 10,000% easier than my previous experience putting the engine in Mr. Red a few years back without the leveler. I'll never do this kind of work without one again !

Everything went together quickly and easily once the engine was bolted to the transmission and the motor mounts were in.
My buddy tapped the air rail base fittings to receive some nice allen head bolts, so I threaded them in with some anti seize ( to seal the threads, but make them easy to remove in the event leakage, chirping, or the need to re-install the smog system if the new exhaust that I'm also swapping over from Red doesn't get me through DEQ )

The only thing left to do was make a soup can patch for the exhaust (I had to cut the exhaust between the collector and the flex pipe because the flange bolts had become one with the flange. No biggie...like I said, the exhaust I just put in Red will be in White this week.

After putting in the oil and coolant, I went through my start-up check list, cracked a beer, lit a smoke, and fired 'er up.
The engine wouldn't catch a decent idle at first, but I adjusted the timing to settle things out to a steady 900rpm and she warmed right up to the idea of running again.

A cruise around the neighborhood helped things settle out even more, and I had no trouble getting the air to burp out of the cooling system.
The allen head / air rail base fitting combo worked like a charm, though the exhaust noise might be drowning out any chirping under load. I wasn't able to hear any chirping whistling at idle though. My plan for tomorrow morning is to drive it over to my friend's shop to degrease the engine and under carriage so I can make sure that there are no leaks or other unsavory things happening under there.

That's it for now, but keep an eye out for coming attractions, such as:
• The removal of the transmission, 4.77s, and whatever else I can take from Mr. Red and maintain a rolling chassis for the flatbed.
• Further installments to this thread as I move forward with other upgrades, repairs, and the other fun stuff I have in mind for Mr. White.
• Whatever else seems fitting to add

Red-and-White.1.jpg

I have a ton of other pics to sort and re-size, so I'll be posting them as I move forward.

Peace, and thanks for your thoughts !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
White 1989 RS
Aisin Hubs • BFG All Terrain TA's • Delta 272 Cam • Magnaflow Cat and Muffler with 2-1/4" Pipes • 2nd Gen Rodeo Side View Mirrors • Yakima Bars • and [•]||||||||[•]

Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71799

For this post the author Oregon RS was thanked by:
rodeoness
Oregon RS
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 6 times

Sponsor

Re: The Phoenix Rises

Postby 95BadBoy » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:13 am

Oh yes, a load leveler can eliminate quite a few of the normal French words that usually get emitted during that process.

My brother pulled the 428 out of his Mach One quite a few years ago without that tool. One of those would have came in handy, I just picked one of those up last Saturday at Harbor Freight for the future pull on the 88 I still need to get done.
88 5 speed Trooper no rust - w/blown motor - Picked up in Ohio 7-21-12 - this will take some time :)
88 Autobox Trooper (White) fairly clean - Picked up near Bend Oregon 11-4-15 - 3698 miles round trip to get it.
05 Jeep TJ RME- 4.0 42RLE with a couple of things
05 Jeep KJ Sport - 2.8 CRD - GDE Tuned - 2.5 OME Lift - JK Moabs - Rolla Basket - Sold 10-20-2015
95BadBoy
Trail Master

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby hessmess » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:31 am

Good to see the accident didn't dampen your Isuzu addiction! I will be watching.
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 166 times

Postby bradzuzu » Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:40 pm

Glad to see another local around :) you got a nice replacement rig to build up now too..!!
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 390 times

Postby IsuzuGeek » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Nice, I have two RSes at the moment!! I wish I could keep both!

Bart
:(
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 200 times

Postby Ed Mc. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:01 am

Mark, I can't believe I missed your Phoenix build thread, I've got it earmarked now! :oops:

Glad to see Mr. Red and his new cousin (brother?) Mr. White getting along so well. Mighty nice of Mr. Red to become an Organ Donor!!! :twisted:

I see a nice rack on Mr. White and a purty set of Snowflakes, looking good!

Should look very Retro with the round-eye conversion, be sure to post more pics as you get 'em.

BTW I load-levelers are cool, I sure could have used one when I did my 3.4 swap!

And likewise, it was a beautiful day for Mr. White to get a new home, and nice to have met you and your wife!

Cheers........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 363 times

Postby Oregon RS » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:28 am

Glad you found the thread, Ed.
I should've included a link in one of my e-mails. :oops:

Mr White is sporting some fancy new duds, and the round-eyes should be done tomorrow ( I'll post an update with pics ).
I'm gearing up to pull the remaining drive line out of Mr Red this week, and the last things to remove will be salvageable body panels, glass, and interior.
With the room full of parts I've already removed, there won't be much left for the ol' bone yard...

Hope your building projects are coming together, and that you're enjoying remains of summer !
Last edited by Oregon RS on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
White 1989 RS
Aisin Hubs • BFG All Terrain TA's • Delta 272 Cam • Magnaflow Cat and Muffler with 2-1/4" Pipes • 2nd Gen Rodeo Side View Mirrors • Yakima Bars • and [•]||||||||[•]

Build Thread
Oregon RS
Super Trooper

Postby Ed Mc. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:50 am

Oregon RS wrote:Hope your building projects are coming together, and that you're enjoying remains of summer !

Things are moving right along, I'll have a roof on the new addition, come Monday! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby Oregon RS » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:59 am

Lookin' good, Ed !
That'll add some square footage to your place !
White 1989 RS

Build Thread
Oregon RS
Super Trooper

Postby Oregon RS » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Hey everyone -
I finally found some time to sort pictures, so here comes an update.

Projects completed so far this month:
• Swapped the 2.6 from Red into White
Red.White.Toyota.1.jpg

• Deleted the Smog Pump System
Air-Rail-Plugs.Sans-Air-Pump.jpg

• Swapped Superwinch Hubs for Aisins - ( Selling Superwinch hubs for $60 )
• Swapped over the Snowflakes and Tires
• Swapped over the large Rodeo Mirrors
• Removed Stock Mud Flaps
• Continued Dismantling Red and storing parts...should be ready to scrap soon.

• Swapped over the Round Eyes this morning
Round-Eye-Prep.jpg

Satin-Paint-and-Liquid-Tape.jpg

Round-Eyes.jpg

Upcoming Projects:
• Getting Fuel Gauge to Function
• Swapping Ball Joints and Steering Components
• Fixing Oil Leak :roll:
• Taking Care of Surface Rust on White
• Swapping as many incandescent bulbs for LEDs as possible

Thanks for looking, and I'll post more as I finish new projects.
White 1989 RS

Build Thread
Oregon RS
Super Trooper

Postby bradzuzu » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Lookin good man !! Gettin lots done :)

My build up page
Four link pics

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby Ed Mc. » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:50 pm

Sweet! Dude! :mrgreen:
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:16 am

Nice work thus far, I'm subscribing to this build thread for sure!! :thumbup:

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 411 times

Postby recon » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:32 am

Oregon RS wrote:Hello everyone,
I drove Mr. White this evening for the first time since picking it up from Ed's place in Poulsbo on the 19th of July, so I it seems like good day to begin my Phoenix Build Thread. For those of you who didn't catch the recent posts about my Red RS being totaled a while back, I was lucky enough to pick up a white 89 RS from EdMc. to ease my pain. ( Thanks again for the great RS, Ed ! Amy and I enjoyed meeting you and your daughter too. )

I'm not planning to turn Mr White into a monster trail truck or anything like that, but plan on building a combination daily driver / expedition rig by improving on everything learned from working on Mr. Red over the years.

Anyway...on with the thread ! :lol: :drunken:

I drove the new truck down to my friend Curtis's place the day after we got back from Poulsbo, and parked it nose to nose with the old one so they could meet each other before the heart transplant began. Mr. Red was already prepped for the operation, so I jumped into getting Mr. White ready to receive the donor engine. I was pleased to see that the new rig didn't have AC, since I was planning on deleting mine anyway, and I decided to take advantage of the swap to delete the smog pump and related items and test my idea for plugging the air rail holes.

I guess the accident loosened up some bolts on Mr. Red, 'cause the engine / transmission bolts came out without any fight.
Mr. White wasn't willing to let go so easily, but I was able to get all the bolts out by holding my mouth just right.
The fact that the upper e/t bolts that hold the rear cooling line were missing didn't exactly break my heart, either...

One thing I'll say about this job...LOAD LEVELERs ROCK !
That thing made the process of pulling both engines and sliding my newer engine into Mr. White 10,000% easier than my previous experience putting the engine in Mr. Red a few years back without the leveler. I'll never do this kind of work without one again !

Everything went together quickly and easily once the engine was bolted to the transmission and the motor mounts were in.
My buddy tapped the air rail base fittings to receive some nice allen head bolts, so I threaded them in with some anti seize ( to seal the threads, but make them easy to remove in the event leakage, chirping, or the need to re-install the smog system if the new exhaust that I'm also swapping over from Red doesn't get me through DEQ )

The only thing left to do was make a soup can patch for the exhaust (I had to cut the exhaust between the collector and the flex pipe because the flange bolts had become one with the flange. No biggie...like I said, the exhaust I just put in Red will be in White this week.

After putting in the oil and coolant, I went through my start-up check list, cracked a beer, lit a smoke, and fired 'er up.
The engine wouldn't catch a decent idle at first, but I adjusted the timing to settle things out to a steady 900rpm and she warmed right up to the idea of running again.

A cruise around the neighborhood helped things settle out even more, and I had no trouble getting the air to burp out of the cooling system.
The allen head / air rail base fitting combo worked like a charm, though the exhaust noise might be drowning out any chirping under load. I wasn't able to hear any chirping whistling at idle though. My plan for tomorrow morning is to drive it over to my friend's shop to degrease the engine and under carriage so I can make sure that there are no leaks or other unsavory things happening under there.

That's it for now, but keep an eye out for coming attractions, such as:
• The removal of the transmission, 4.77s, and whatever else I can take from Mr. Red and maintain a rolling chassis for the flatbed.
• Further installments to this thread as I move forward with other upgrades, repairs, and the other fun stuff I have in mind for Mr. White.
• Whatever else seems fitting to add

Red-and-White.1.jpg

I have a ton of other pics to sort and re-size, so I'll be posting them as I move forward.

Peace, and thanks for your thoughts !

:D wow you have two rs troopers.awesome 8) recon
1995 isuzu 4x4 pickup|2.6 4cyl|5spd|3 inch body lift|2.5 inch suspension lift|33 inch treadwright wardens|indy4x hd tie rods|custom winch mount|12000 lb winch|extreme high lift jack|off road lights|front and rear aussie lockers|1.5 inch diff/crossmember drop|sway a way hd torsion bars|jeep trail rated badge|moog ball joints|moog center link|precision cv axle boots|optima battery|skyjacker steering stabilizer|tinted windows|bedliner|window rain guards|Indy4x braided brake lines|indy4x sway bar bushings|exedy daikin clutch kit|revolution 3.07 transfer case gears

Build Thread: https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=53703&hilit=evolution+of+my+truck
recon
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 47 times

Postby Ed Mc. » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:45 am

recon wrote::D wow you have two rs troopers.awesome 8) recon

You ain't seen the other side of Mr. Red yet! :shock: :crybaby: :sad2: :sad3:
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby Oregon RS » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:00 pm

recon wrote: :D wow you have two rs troopers.awesome 8) recon

Ha ha...well, yes, technically I suppose, but not quite in the way you're thinking...

Red Wreck.jpg

or the way I'd hoped to have them...

:roll:

Anyway...thanks for watching the show, everyone, and for your input on this ongoing project.

Now that I'm back to Round Eyes, I'm thinking of converting to HID lights.
(http://www.amazon.com/Rampage-5089925-H ... B001OMPJGS)

or

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-002395801-H ... roduct_top

Anyone have any long term use/performance reports on either of these set-ups ?
They've both received great reviews, put out a LOT more light than sealed beams, and spare bulbs will take up less space in my road box.
One review of the Rampage Lights states that the vented lenses (?) allow mud and water to get inside. The price is low enough that I might give 'em a shot and figure out a way to protect the vents from the elements while letting them do their thing.
Last edited by Oregon RS on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
White 1989 RS

Build Thread
Oregon RS
Super Trooper

Postby bradzuzu » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Ouch !! What the heck happened to the poor thing ??

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby IsuzuGeek » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:03 am

Oregon RS wrote:Red Wreck.jpg

DAYUM, DUDE! What hit you? A cement truck?

:shock: Bart
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:17 am

Wow, that must have been quite an impact! :shock:

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby Oregon RS » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:15 pm

shaggydoink wrote:Wow, that must have been quite an impact! :shock:

Jonathan

Yeah, brother, you could say that !

When I lost a CV near the top of a hill climb along the Power Line Trail at Brown's Camp, the truck started to go sideways on the slope.
Fearing a barrel roll down the hill through the forest, I got it straightened out and focused my attention on controlling the backward slide down the slippery clay slope and trying to get three spinning tires to grab hold of something as long as I could before the bouncing and an unfortunately placed curve in the trail sent the passenger side rear corner of the truck into a tree at the bottom of the steepest part of the slope.

I remember hearing myself say, "oh ----, this is gonna hurt", as we picked up speed down the hill.
Next I remember a sudden stop and a big crunch as my seat folded backward and i went flying into the back of the truck.
The weirdest part was watching my truck keys sail over my head and bounce off the cargo door in slow motion as sparkling chunks of broken glass from the small cargo door and passenger's rear slider flew in the opposite direction...

I have no memory of exiting the truck, but both myself and my friend walked away. His back hurt for a few days, but he's fine now.
I finally went to the doctor after my left hip wouldn't stop aching. They I figure that it was dislocated when my boot got hung up between the steering wheel and the seat as I flew into the back of the truck. They also surmised that the impact of my body against the cargo door 're-located' my hip on the spot. :shock:

In all of my years of wheeling, I've never experienced anything like the backward luge ride we took down the hill that day.
Totally unexpected, impossible to stop once it started, and over in seconds.
I went back to the scene last week to look around, and am still amazed that I kept the truck from rolling sideways and that we walked away with minor injuries.

Crazy days at Brown's Camp
White 1989 RS

Build Thread
Oregon RS
Super Trooper

Postby IsuzuGeek » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:21 pm

So your CV snapped and you lost traction and slid back down the hill? You need to take pics of the hill showing the steepness and pics of the tree. Still DAYUM. That is scary. Nothing worse than being out of control.

Bart
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Postby IsuzuGeek » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:25 pm

Oregon RS wrote:the Power Line Trail at Brown's Camp

Is this it?

Bart
IsuzuGeek
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:27 pm

Holy smokes, that's scary stuff indeed! :shock:

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Postby Oregon RS » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:52 am

That's the general area, Bart, but we were on a trail that zig-zags back and forth across Power Line before climbing up and over the ridge.
I'll try to get back out there for some pics looking up toward the steep part of the trail, but here's one of the truck where we came to a stop at the base of the slope where the trail begins to flatten out and curve to the left.

Trooper-Tree.jpg
White 1989 RS

Build Thread
Oregon RS
Super Trooper

Postby shaggydoink » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:10 am

Ouch!! Totally sucks, although I suppose you both lived to tell the tale so good in that regard.

Jonathan
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Next