Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Gas tank gaskets/seals were shot..Hows yours?

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  tylerruinstrucks 
#1 ·
Filled my tank and when I got to where I was going I noticed a strong fuel smell. Peaked at fuel tank and noticed where the 2 small lines come into the tank those connections locked into the tank were leaking fuel around the base..One on each side of tank. Ordered some new seals from Jerry..He has just a few on hand. So if anyone is planning to drop your tank soon you might want to hit Jerry up and replace these smaller seals at that time..My tank was out for a new fuel pump when I was finishing up the rebuild on the Trooper and I wished I had just ordered these seals then. Nothing like fuel running out the top and down the sides of you tank..not safe and at $4.60+ a gallon not good. Just one more item to check on these old Troopers..I know the pump assy. gasket gets changed a lot on our Troopers but these other seals probably never get replaced and they are rather old.

#2 ·
my purge vent grommet leaks on my pissport, be nice if i could find one. i got pissed and drilled a hole in the gas cap to keep the pressure out of the tank now it doesnt leak lol, but im sure im evaporating a little out of the hole in the cap now

#3 ·
I can say that my seals for the roll over valves were shot! I mean like practically disintegrated..New seals and new fuel lines at tank..Now when I unscrew my gas cap I hear a nice release of pressure..Seriously guys get a set of those seals from Jerry so the next time your tank is down you can replace them..Mine weren't doing anything anymore. And those seals never crossed my mind while the Trooper was being worked on in the past.

#4 ·
+10

that's simply not something that is normally thought of for sure. When I dropped my Spacer tank and replaced the fuel pump, the gasket looked OK but I probably should have replaced it then. Oh well, just something to make a note of in m maint. log. If I smell gas, suspect tank gasket... Thx!

#5 ·
Yeppers when I redid Red Beans I replaced all the lines and tank gaskets after I had the tank renew'ed. Did it again when I replaced that tank with the new OEM one that's in her now. The renew'ed tank started leaking. The tech that did the job was an idiot and sandblasted tiny holes in the tank.

Old rubber seals are one of the biggest problems with our 25 year old rides.

#9 ·
No but hit up Jerry..he will know. Yeah I couldnt put more than half a tank without it leaking out the top and like I said now my tank actually has pressure. I wished I had taken a pic of those seals when they came out..there really wasnt much left..They were horrible. I know he had only a few sets..I think those seals are for all Isuzu's not just 1st. gen Trooper but you can confirm it with Jerry if you have a different model.

#10 ·
MCKiNNEY said:
I've had this problem for quite a while now. I've been so busy I have had to just fill the tank to 10-12 gal. Instead of full in order to prevent leakage. I need to order those ASAP. Do you have a part number?
Those bad seals will make you fail a smog check when they perform the pressure test..ask me how I know lol..I'd grab a set for sure since your out here in Calif.

#12 ·
First time trooper owner. Got a great deal on clean 91 Trooper LS. Fixing the fuel system. Need contact for Jerry please.

#13 ·
user JLEMOND on here. Search a few threads until you find him. If he says something, it's Isuzu "gospel". Great person to deal with. BTW, welcome to the Planet. Dennis

#14 ·
Hi everyone I'm Amin from San Diego CA, and I'm new here.
Please I need the seal for the rollover valve guys I can't pass the smog and my Space Cab 8) stirring in the driveway
I read about someone named Jerry. I keep seeing this guys name but can't find any contact information for him. Does anyone know where I can get his information or one of those seals?
Thanks

#15 ·
#17 ·
!!!!GOOD NEWS!!!!

Hi everyone!!

Thank you FORD for keeping my GM ISUZU Running in California

Gas tank sealed with success ive got this truck finally smogged legally!!

No air / vacuum / Fuel evap leaks anymore

Ford gasket / Grommet / Seal it is !!!

Part number :

F6TZ-9B076-AA / 3918818

Since 2013 and the two previous owners give up on fixing it and been buying the smog!!

From the exhaust manifold all the way back incl the cat Is all NEW no preparing for a paint job
Thank you everyone for helping me thank you admin for making this forum
Guys I've got connections in the Middle East and they got all plastic trims for the isuzu pickup only and some other universal isuzu accessories
I'm ordering couple things for the interior it may take a while for me to write again!!
But anyone here can always contact me here i get notifications always !!
I wish the ADMIN will make this Forum into a APP and that we will be able to upload pictures over 4 MB I'd like to share some pictures of the job and measurements!!
Sorry about my English it's my 4th language and I'm new here in the state!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.