2.8 /4JB1T, 3.1 /4JG1T Group Buy

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

2.8 /4JB1T, 3.1 /4JG1T Group Buy

Postby Van » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:02 pm

For those that are interested in buying one...

Bellavesus, Jerry Lemond and myself will be buying some used diesel engines/transmissions from a company out of Indonesia imported from Japan.

These are complete engines with starter/AC/PS/injection pump ready to drop in and go.

The more engines we buy, the less the shipping and customs will be.

Engines will be delivered to the Port of Charleston, South Carolina arriving around February/March 2011.

The 4JB1T engines will run $1,850.00 with an additional $250 for the 5 speed MUA5 transmission (4x4).

Not sure on the price for the 4JG1T engine... maybe Jerry will chime in.

Shipping and customs will be around $500 or less (per engine/transmission) depending on the number of engines shipped.

Mileage is unknown, but, video of the compression and startup will be provided by the company.

Intercoolers are not included.

Deadline will be January 5, 2011 for ordering (money must be recieved by Bellavesus).

Any serious inquires can be addressed in this thread.
Van
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 104 times

Sponsor

Postby TonkaToy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:29 pm

WOW!! Very cool Van. I am not in the market but talk about a neat project.
Mike M.
Richmond, VA
Lurking around looking for my next trail rig...
2002 Trooper SOLD
1989 Trooper LS SOLD
2015 Honda Accord (DD)
1997 F-250 w/ popup truck camper (Workhorse/Plow truck/Dad's bug out rig)
1987 Country Coach 40' 300hp Turbo Cat Diesel Pusher (restoration project/family camper/neighbor annoy-er/Prius deterant)
TonkaToy
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 23 times

Postby slainer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:22 am

Van are you going to put one in your truck? I just watched a video today were a Amigo with the 4jb1t it had 3to1 transfer case gearing crawl up some inclines at 800 rpm.
slainer
Trail Master

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby Hatfield » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:20 am

Wish I had the money, I'd be all over this.

How hard are you expecting the wiring to be, plug and play?
2000 Trooper - AR5 swap, 4.77s w Aussie & ARB, TeraLows, 285/75 Goodyear MTRs,
Indy4x bumper, OME lift with N85 shocks, 1" BL, TG sliders, M8000, 20" LED, dents

2007 Acura TL Type S - the daily
1995 Nissan 240sx - the racecar
Hatfield
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby thrashercharged » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:01 am

Is the 3.1 diesel a 4JG1 or 4JG2? I get conflicting info when googling if the 4JG1 exists or not. If both exist what's the difference?

Is this MUA5 trans different from the MUA5 behind the 2.6L gas engines (i.e. is it a different bellhousing bolt pattern?) In other words, will a MUA5 behind a 2.6L gas engine fit these diesels?

Maybe the better question is, will these basically drop into all 3 generation of Trooper/Rodeos, and what (gas engine) transmissions will they bolt up to, if any?

Intercoolers aren't included but the turbos are, right?
thrashercharged
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby trooper T/diesel » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:52 am

what i know is......

the difference in the trans gas to diesel is the same for a MUA as it is for the older MSG trany.

the only difference is in the front housing and bearing retainer.

the gearing and guts should be 100% the same as the MUA thats pard to the 2.6L engines.
so if you had a trans faluer down the road you would need to do the same mod i do to the old MSG trans that with the little 2.2L diesel and take the housing and retainer and put it on the new trans...that was origanly in a gasser, only you would need to find a trans from a 4WD 2.6L not a GM 2.8L V-6

since the starter is on the oppest side as the gas 2.6L engine
you need the front housing and bearing retainer that fits the diesel, to mount the trans to the diesel.
so yea you need the trans......cuse this MUA housing and retainer was not EVER sold state side.

as to the 4JG1 and 4JG2 im thinking it was a miner typo... :?:

i wish i had the funds :cry:
Last edited by trooper T/diesel on Fri May 27, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trooper T/diesel
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby bellavesus » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:51 pm

4JG2T, not 1- it was a typo. These will bolt right in, turbos are included. Same MU tranny, but like was said- diff bellhousing. i know it comes at an already stressful time of the year, hopefully we can make it happen for folks who are interested.
Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men. ~Heinlein

86' isuzu trooper, now with 4JB1TC! OME/INDY 3"
Custom WVO system, Dual tanks.
89' trooper c223t swap-SOLD
bellavesus
Mud King

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby slainer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:15 pm

Does this mean that Jerry is going to start supplying parts for the 4jb1t?
slainer
Trail Master

Postby Van » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:44 am

slainer wrote:Does this mean that Jerry is going to start supplying parts for the 4jb1t?

As long as you know the Isuzu part #, he should be able to get it.

The plan is to put it into the truck... then I will only have one thing left to do before the "sleeper" is finished. :twisted:
Van
Donor
Donor

Postby slainer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:10 pm

I have yet to find a parts book but if I do I would like to get genuine Isuzu parts and buy them through Jerry. There is a 4bd1 swap sight that might, have some members wanting a 4jb1t.

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forumdisp ... order=desc

Wayne
slainer
Trail Master

Postby 6caver » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:21 pm

I would shift money around and buy one for myself if I knew the first thing about swapping the engines.

A diesel trooper...that'll always be the dream.
89 Isuzu Trooper S 4ZE1 5-Speed, Intermittent Wiper Switch Upgrade, Cruise Control Upgrade, Round Headlight Conversion, Added A/C, Aisin hubs

PNW Zoo Facebook Group
6caver
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby Van » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:52 pm

six_caver wrote:I would shift money around and buy one for myself if I knew the first thing about swapping the engines.

A diesel trooper...that'll always be the dream.

1st thing you need to know... take the gas engine out. :lol:

It's going to be a learning experience for me also... but a happy ending. :D

With the help of forum members, other sources and the right tools, I'm sure you could do it also... don't expect it to happen overnight though. :lol:
Van
Donor
Donor

Postby slainer » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:02 am

http://dieseltrooper.blogspot.com/2005_ ... chive.html

This is a great blog to see whats involved in a swap of a 4jb1t into a Isuzu. Its a good first swap for someone to do not very hard at all if you have basic shade tree skills.
Wayne
slainer
Trail Master

Postby 6caver » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:27 pm

My problem is that my trooper is a daily driver, so I'd have to purchase another vehicle just so I can get to work.

That and it helps to have a warm garage, which I don't :/
89 Isuzu Trooper S 4ZE1 5-Speed, Intermittent Wiper Switch Upgrade, Cruise Control Upgrade, Round Headlight Conversion, Added A/C, Aisin hubs

PNW Zoo Facebook Group
6caver
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby bellavesus » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:38 pm

yes a warm garage is nice, at least that is what i have heard. i have 2 4jb1 engine parts books, but not one for the turbo model. i have ran a few of the part #'s by jerry and it seems as though it is all "orderable".
And i would not consider myself a very advanced mechanic, that is why i originally chose to go isuzu. they offered a diesel vehicle that wasnt huge, and if i looked hard enough i could find one. i have just taken it a little further and swapped the engines, and surprising it wasnt that hard. i had some help for the first one, and at that point i didnt know the difference between an AC unit and the PS pump. hahaha, but we did it. Really the tools needed for this swap are easily obtainable and not too expensive if they are purchased. The first swap was done in an old barn, with a comealong strung up over the barn rafters to lift the engine out and back in, i have since "upgraded" to a real engine hoist-much better! and a tranny jack is helpful, but not really necessary. i think my next item will be an engine stand, making it easier to work and store an engine, better than the hoist for getting off those pesky flywheels! :D
Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of shrewd and evil and self-serving men. ~Heinlein

bellavesus
Mud King

Postby Trooper1991 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:35 am

Hi,

Would this be a direct bolt in for 91 Trooper with a 2.8V6?

What would I need to do to make this happen.

An oil burning Trooper, that runs off of diesel. I would love that.

Mark
Trooper1991
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby slainer » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:48 pm

Not sure if the 6 cly frame mounts are the same as a 4 cly but mostly all you need for a 4 cylinder is 2.2 diesel rubber motor mounts and to turn the trans cross member 180 have someone modify drive shafts lengths.
slainer
Trail Master

Postby thrashercharged » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:15 pm

Would this be a direct bolt in for 91 Trooper with a 2.8V6?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the diesel engine will bolt up to the trans behind the V6 as it's a GM engine. Different bolt pattern and perhaps input shaft size. The trans behind the 2.6L 4 cyl (which is an Isuzu engine) is closer but even then there are some modifications that need to be done - there's some threads about the differences between gas and diesel trans.
thrashercharged
Has a Trail Truck

Postby slainer » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Yes the the bell housings are different, starters or on opposite sides, so you will need to buy the trans with the 4jb1 engine purchase. Check out the blog that I put a link to in a earlier reply, the author documented almost every aspect of his swap.
slainer
Trail Master

Postby JLEMOND » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:58 pm

slainer wrote:Not sure if the 6 cly frame mounts are the same as a 4 cly but mostly all you need for a 4 cylinder is 2.2 diesel rubber motor mounts and to turn the trans cross member 180 have someone modify drive shafts lengths.

FRAME MOUNT PADS ARE THE SAME ON ALL TROOPERS AND PICKUPS FROM 81-95 AND THE TROOPERS FROM 84-91 REGARDLESS OF ENG ORIGINALLY USED

TRANS MOUNTS AS WAYNE MENTIONED ARE DIFF BUT NOT HARD TO FIX
JLEMOND
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 352 times

Postby trooper T/diesel » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:26 am

glow system, needing a bigger rad, miner IP wiring, and tale pipe are more difficult to do than mounting the engine....

the 2.8 and 3.1 do not have the QOS that the 2.2L do, so its a rather strate forward in stall for the GLOWS.
in fact the 2.8L can start at 32F with no GLOWs being DI injected
the 3.1L IDI would be hard pressed to do that, more like 55F at best just like the 2.2L
WTB 4.10 3rd member from 2wd 2.6 powerd 88/95 truck or GEN1 amego.....
WTB 4.10 front 3rd member from a 4wd rodeo
trooper T/diesel
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby bellavesus » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:02 am

true, the 4jb1 does not have an issue starting with no glow plugs operating.i can attest to that. i ran cross country last winter from NC to portland through some serious storm and snow country-never had any issues starting at way below freezing. totally different animal than the 2.2, this thing growls away with steady fuel and good battery power. so, one less wiring issue to deal with, if you think about it. i even bought and installed new glow plugs, never used em. :roll: tailpipe, yep-tranny mount yep. i brought the crossmember to a welder buddy and that was the end of that.he just needed to extend the mounting plate for the tranny, as i have an 86, and the MSG tranny is significantly smaller than the MUA. i have a thread on it over at 4x4wire. and as far as radiator goes, i installed a 2.8 gas radiator for a'91 auto-swapped the necks which i think was 15 bucks and it hasnt had any cooling issues ever. and i have carried a full passenger load and trailer loaded with my centrifuge for veggie oil, and all my fuel and tools in it.

bellavesus
Mud King

Postby slainer » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:47 am

I have a simple momentary switch hooked up to a heavy relay for the glow plugs just push for a 3 or 4 seconds, these are 12 volt glow plug unlike the 6 volt c223 system. My radiator is also just a two row from a 6cly, which I turned the thermostat housing to reach the outlet on the top and on the bottom I coupled two hoses to make a long hose to reach across and no radiator shroud, and it never ran hot even in the heat of the summer, even with this hookie setup. These engine run cool in my experience, and don't think a three row will be needed for most applications. As for the exhaust you don't even need a muffler, I don't run one and it is not loud at all the turbo muffles the sound. I'm using a 2" exhaust that i pieced together out of a 6cly trooper just make sure you ad a flex pipe, it works but a 2.25 or 2.5" would perform better.
slainer
Trail Master

Postby bellavesus » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:06 pm

they do run really cool, i agree that the stock radiator cooling performs well. i dont run a muffler either, and my exhaust is 2.5". a lil louder than i prefer, but everything i have read on these engines agree that it helps increase the engines breathing ability. i almost went to an aftermarket cone filter, but i was worried about potential water ingress , and increased noise. i have a shroud, i think i used the original 2.2.

bellavesus
Mud King

Postby thrashercharged » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:55 pm

So are these engines predominantly for swapping into 1st gen Troopers, or will they easily swap into 2nd and 3rd gens as well? I understand the 4JB1T (2.8L) was used in the 1st Gen overseas, but were the 4JG2T factory fit into the 2nd and 3rd Gens overseas?
thrashercharged
Has a Trail Truck

Next

Return to General Isuzu Discussion