Isuzu SUV Forum banner

1992 Pickup 3.1L Heater Core

758 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  DSUZU 
#1 ·
Well, I've finally gotten myself an Isuzu, and I'm working to get a few things squared away to get it 100% into shape. The truck came from Florida, and the heater core has been bypassed, presumably because it was leaking, but I suppose it's technically possible that someone did that so that the the core wouldn't be hot all the time, making the A/C work better (yeah right). I figure I'll hook it back up and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't smell like coolant.

Anyhow, while digging about online, I found the following instruction list from BroncoDave042163 in this old thread:

1. Disconnect battery ground cable and drain radiator.[/*]
  2. Disconnect heater hoses at core and plug core tubes. [/*]
  3. Remove glove box hinge pins and slide out glove box.[/*]
  4. Remove steering wheel.[/*]
  5. Unscrew instrument cluster hood screws and cluster assembly screws.[/*]
  6. Remove meter hood and cluster assembly.[/*]
  7. Disconnect speedometer cable.[/*]
  8. Remove side trim.[/*]
  9. Remove fuse box screws.[/*]
  10. Remove right and left air defroster ducts.[/*]
  11. Remove steering column bolts and lower steering column.[/*]
  12. Pry out instrument panel screw covers.[/*]
  13. Remove 10 instrument panel screws and remove instrument panel.[/*]
  14. Remove heater assembly bolts.[/*]
  15. Remove heater assembly.[/*]
  16. To install, reverse removal procedure.[/*]

My question comes down to #s 12 and 13, which refer to the instrument panel, but I assume are actually for the dash itself? Also, the truck has A/C, so I'm guessing there's more to it, such as evacuating the A/C system and then re-charging it?

Perhaps I just need to leave well enough alone?

Tom

See less See more
#2 ·
#12 refers to a rectangular panel in the top center of the dash and there are small vent panels at each corner. All of these pop out revealing hidden screws beneath. On a '93 Amigo (same basic vehicle) I was able to remove the A/C evaporator from under the dash with a minimal amount of trim being removed. The heater core may be a bigger deal. On my build thread, just a few pages in I show where I removed the whole dash in restoring my now deceased Spacecab pickup. Hope some of this helps. Dennis

#3 ·
Thanks for that clarification, Dennis. Looking at your photos, it looks like the little vents are up in the corner of the dash, by the base of the windshield, not the actual climate control vents along the leading edge. The center rectangular panel is also up by the base of the windshield, where, based on the shape, my mind tells me there ought to be a clock (but there isn't)?

Your photos make this look a little less daunting. Any idea if I can remove the core without depressurizing the A/C?

Tom

#4 ·
It's a "maybe" on removing the core w/o evacuating the A/C system. I would try undoing all the evap housing bolts / screws first and see if you can move it any.
The center cover would have a light that had something to do with the automatic transmission on auto equipped vehicles. I modified one of those covers and used a Mitsubishi / Subaru overhead clock to give myself a dash clock (it burned up with the rest of my dash :cry:) IIRC, there is also a hidden screw, maybe 2 behind part of the A/C panel. The panel pops off. Cables easily snap in and out.
Your truck 4x4? Dennis

#6 ·
I'm jealous! Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.