Isuzu SUV Forum banner

'91 4 cyl Trooper engine questions

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  DSUZU 
#1 ·
I have a '91 4 cyl trooper (red, of course) that we are using to haul the dogs into the woods and not worry about Manzinita scratches. I had the transmission rebuilt, and the engine rebuilt (twice... the first one messed it up...). It has a new aftermarket head, upgraded clutch, new electronic ignition and other items replaced. My (current) mechanics are great and did a great job. It runs much better but still a little rough at idle. It had most if not all of the smog gear removed before I bought it and assume that missing that makes it run less smooth than I expect. My question is if it would help to put a Webber carb on it and bypass the computer and the (sort of) fuel injection of these engines. It does the job and has good power (.02 over) but wonder if it can be improved.

I have owned 4 Troopers over the years and consider the first generation to be great back road rigs.

I will appreciate any input. I have lurked on this site periodically to find information over the years and appreciate the fact that you are still here.

Thanks

#2 ·
I have removed all the smog and the itec and the computer. I am extremely happy with the weber carburetor and my 89 has been extremely reliable and is easy to work on. The mess of vacuum hoses and little water hoses and abundance of sensors, valves and relays gave me great concern, should something go wrong when I am way out in the country. For me this is the only way to go (If you can get away with it)

#3 ·
The Weber carb conversion is a good (but technically not legal) choice. Note that you will need: a 2.3 intake manifold, a 2.3 DISTRIBUTOR and the mounting plate, a carb, and if Weber, the carb adapter. The adapters can be tricky and a source of vacuum leaks. You will also have to fabricate something for attaching and anchoring your throttle cable. Dennis

#4 ·
Did this conversion about 4 years ago. I am totally satisfied with mine. As the previous poster mentioned, It does away with lots of potential problem spots. It will limit who I may sell to one day as it will never pass a emissions inspection, but here where I live only a safety inspection is required on 25 year and older cars. I'll add to what Dennis mentioned that if you would consider doing this you will also have to redo the fuel pump, as the weber operates on low pressure, so you would need an electric pump in addition to the items he mentioned.

Reactions: DSUZU
#5 ·
Oops! Forgot to mention the fuel pump thing. Thanks Harry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.