Isuzu SUV Forum banner

1999 Isuzu Trooper with soft break pedal and ABS light ON!

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Bahram 
#1 ·
Hello there,
I have two 1999 Isuzu Troopers.. When I lend my car to others to drive I hear complain about severe soft break pedal in them!!
I had both cars breaks checked out, pressure bled, and also replaced both front calipers with little or no effect.
On second issue that may not have anything to do with the soft break pedal issue is the both cars also have the ABS amber light on all the time.
Once I mentioned it to my mechanic and he simply said EHCU if faulty and there is no more parts for these cars.
I am going to read the code for the ABS tomorrow to see if I can get the code from the ABS light flashing pattern. If EHCU unit needs to be replaced I may not look into it any further.
I notices a comment from one of this forum expert named Buster28 about the cold solder connection in CIM module. I checked and can not locate such a module in neither my service manual nor the car itself.
I appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks in advance,

Bahram

#2 ·
This link discusses the repair of a Rodeo ABS electronic module. The ABS module is called Coil Integrated Module (CIM) in some documents and the Modulator in other documents. The electronic module is attached to the ABS brake hydraulic unit with six torx head screws.
https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=85518
The image shows a Trooper ABS assembly and a detached CIM, it is similar to the Rodeo CIM. A couple of members have managed to repair this module.
The easiest solution is to send the module to:
https://www.shop.modulerepairpro.com
and have them repair it for about $99 bucks plus 20 bucks shipping (more or less)
Also try https://modulemaster.com

More ABS info:
https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... 2&start=25

Attachments

#3 ·
Buster28,
Thank you for your useful tips and quick replies. Much appreciated.
The trooper CIM module in my car loos like the picture(it looks "L" shape and a bit different from the units which were opened and repaired on the links).
As a matter of fact a few years back I have tried to open one and look for such cold solder joints myself with no luck. The unit seemed filled with Epoxy and that made me to stop further action at that time. I will go at it one more time with the new information you have provided to see if I can get to the PCB board.
Do you have any suggestions for the soft break pedals as well. It seems it is a more important issue than ABS malfunctioning at this time. Today I have time to go and check the ABS error codes and I will post then next time.

Regards,

Bahram

#5 ·
Good afternoon,
To me feels OK since I drove many type of vehicle from 1958 Checy to 2014 BMW and I can adjust my leg to any type of breaks. I have two family member and two friends that as soon as they drive my Trooper/s they comment on the softness of the pedals.
Of course I do not expect a BMW performance from my Trooper but it would be nice to bring it to an acceptable level.
I have the breaks check by my x-mechanic (x since he has no appreciation for repeat customer!!) and he pressure bled both cars and replaced a couple of calipers but not a noticeable improvement in either of my Troopers.
I am open to any suggestions..

Appreciate your time,
Bahram

#6 ·
Hello Buster28,
I just read the code of my Trooper ABS.
I see 12-12-12-51-51-51-12-12-12.....
As per manual I got it seems there is an issue with FL speed sensor.
I need to start following the wires and check for resistance of the sensor from pin 20 and 21 of the EHCU connector.
If sensor is gone do you think there are parts for this model of Troopers?
I guess I will contact RockAuto to see if they have one.
By the way,
As I read the codes first time I also got error code 14 and 15! but I read it for a second time and error was only DTC 51!!
I am guessing it may be related to an old battery..... Any suggestions?

Bahram

#8 ·
Thank you Buster28! What a great link!
I will place an order as soon as I get my Trooper back from the transmission shop.
I like to give it a try to see if I can find the point of failure of the sensor. I will order a new one if it is not repairable. In most cases I can repair this sort of failures. Nothing to loose and something to learn.... :)
Best regards,
Bahram

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.