Isuzu SUV Forum banner

00 Amigo Soft to Hard Top Full Conversion

941 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dude1976 
#1 ·
Took everyone's advice and went and bought a 4x4 Amigo instead of trying to install it on my 2wd. Got a decent deal, its got the tow package, 4x4, looks great, but its got a soft top. Not to worry though, my 01 came with a hard top factory. Theoretically I've got everything I need to swap it all over, including the dash and rear wiper.

In all the conversions I've read, I haven't seen the wiring mentioned. I want the conversion to be 100%, with the defogger and rear wiper working from the swapped over dash buttons. I uh dont have a ton of experience doing this stuff, this will be my first big dive into building a rig or anytbing of the sort, so any advice would be great.

So basically I want to move the hard top and dash from my Rodeo Sport to my Amigo, and have all the buttons functioning properly. Am I overthinking it? Is it really that easy? Also what even comes in the tow package? Looks like theres a trans cooler on there which I'm stoked about, can anyone confirm?

#2 ·
Swapping a hard top to a soft top truck is easy, takes about 15-20 minutes. However, in the case of my 02 Rodeo Sport which, was a factory soft top truck, it did not have any wiring in the internal wiring harnesses to support the defogger or the wiper. Although I had a complete 01 Rodeo Sport hard top to get the parts from and detailed wiring schematics I still considered it way too much work to add the defogger or the wiper capability.

#3 ·
Thanks Buster. If it's that much trouble swapping it out, I'd rather just keep the Rodeo intact.

Might just remove the soft top then, it's all crusty and looks burnt in some spots. Thinking about later on removing the backseats and installing a rear wall to close off the front seats and turning the rear into a longer bed. Seemed common enough on First Gens but havent seen many Second Gens with this look. Need to look into what they used for the bed, how they fabbed the cab wall, and where/how they installed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.