I put some Royal Purple ATF in my 4L30E. Oh my.

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

I put some Royal Purple ATF in my 4L30E. Oh my.

Postby Oro » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:42 am

I got 2+ gallons of Royal Purple ATF cheap - $30. My truck was slightly overdue for an ATF drain fill. Oh my.

Background: I had to rebuild my AT about 5.5 years ago, 29k miles ago. It has been running on a fresh fill of quality Chevron MD3 since then, and running very nicely. My plan this drain/fill was to put in some M1 synthetic ATF I got a while ago cheap, and some Lubegard Red ester-based additive. A week or two ago I got this RP ATF off CL cheap. I asked about it on BITOG and we decided I'd do the d/f as a test. I posted all the details here:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threa ... it.341747/

Short story is while the RP did not drop my AT temps (I have an oversized auxiliary cooler installed, which likely explains that), it did dramatically smooth the shifts and smooth out the overall response. I was shocked as I DID not expect this. So no "placebo effect" in play.

Given the fragility of these transmissions in the Trooper, this is not a bad thing. I wouldn't likely pay retail for the RP ATF. It is nosebleed expensive, the 5 gallon container is $250. I got it about 1/2 full for $30, but I did have some Mobil 1 ATF (similar and cheaper) on hand I was going to use. Going forward, I will only put M1 ATF or similar in this. I've been using M1 and Lubegard additive in the engine to tremendously good effect - my oil use is a fraction of what it was years ago; I feel like an idiot now not upgrading my ATF to similar grade fluid sooner.

This transmission worked great, as good as new I would guess. But now the shifts are seamless, you can't feel them, and the power transmission just feels more solid and linear. I am a discriminating driver with a number of other cars so I'm not easily impressed and I do know how to judge small changes. This just surprised me as I was skeptical and not easily impressed.

I am not advocating you go out and pay the nosebleed prices for Royal Purple, but check out M1 or other synthetics of full viscosity (not thin cheap stuff like MaxLife) when you can get them at a fair price. I'm sold. And I'm a hard sell and frugal.
1998 Acura SLX. OME 929s and front crank, KYB tubes. Retro'd Aisin manual front hubs.
Home rebuilt 4L30E doing great. Aux cooler and temp gauge. Big thanks on the rebuild to Buster28, Jerry (jlemond), CalG, and others.
Factory(US dealer) side steps and roof/ski rack (Yakima).
Oro
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 149 times

Sponsor

Re: I put some Royal Purple ATF in my 4L30E. Oh my.

Postby Enemigo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:16 am

My low gears came with 2 quarts of Royal Purple 5W30 oil for the transfer case. I've never price checked Royal Purple, but I remember thinking at the time that it's probably worth it in things like the transmission, transfer case, and diffs, i.e. things that don't get changed often and don't burn oil, like the motor. Thanks for the review. Interesting to hear that you could feel the difference and it's not all just hype.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby Oro » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:31 pm

Enemigo wrote:... it's probably worth it in things like the transmission, transfer case, and diffs, i.e. things that don't get changed often and don't burn oil, like the motor. ...

Agree. What I do in the t-case, diffs is split the difference between super premium expensive stuff and base. I use standard lube but then I supplement it with Lubegard additive. This stuff:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7652 ... -EALw_wcB&

(In the t-case I use the ATF supplement because it uses atf as lube, like I think your 99 does).

In the engine, I do use mobil 1, but I use the recommended 10w-30 and not 5w; it is more robust and burns less. I add 2oz/qt of this stuff. Over the years it has dramatically reduced my oil consumption, conditioning seals and cleaning the rings and drain holes (I think - the oil consumption has gone down a lot and it can't just be from reduced leaking).

https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-40902-T ... 5801&psc=1

Anyway, glad you found the comment useful. I was surprised myself so thought I would share.
1998 Acura SLX. OME 929s and front crank, KYB tubes. Retro'd Aisin manual front hubs.
Home rebuilt 4L30E doing great. Aux cooler and temp gauge. Big thanks on the rebuild to Buster28, Jerry (jlemond), CalG, and others.
Oro
Zu Royalty

Postby Enemigo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:46 pm

I'll have to look into that stuff, as I'd love to curb the burn rate on this old engine. Mine has 215k on it.
My T-case and tranny both take engine oil, which is nice for only carrying one type of fluid on the trails.
While we're talking though, I think you were the one I've seen mention using an extra bottle of diff additive in the rear G80. I think you were saying that if you get the LSD diff fluid, you still add another bottle of the additive. Would you mind talking about that again? I don't think I've had any issues with the rear diff, but if I can get it to grab even more, I'm interested.
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty

Postby Oro » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:03 pm

I asked Jerry what to do several years ago. He said to just put in a bottle, drive it. if it chatters, add more. ;)

I had a turn in my neighborhood that was tight, 1/2 way through I could hear the rear chatter. So I used that as a test. I had straight 80w90 gear oil (no additive). I used that + put in one bottle of Lubegard LSD additive, filled it almost full. Drove it and still had chatter. Added one more bottle and it was quiet. So my *guess* is that if you buy LSD-additive fluid, you might still need another bottle. This is what I used, it's on the shelf at O'Reilly and I think NAPA.

Actually, here's a good deal on it at Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lubegard-Lim ... lsrc=aw.ds

Mine is 98 so it should be the same G80 as yours I think.
Oro
Zu Royalty

Postby Enemigo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:17 pm

Hmmm, I haven't heard any chattering, and it tends to break loose plenty easily in the dirt. I've watched all my video footage from the recent Moab trip, but none of it is really from the rear to see if one tire is spinning more easily than the other. Moab is a pretty gippy place though. Anyway, thank you for recapping that. Carry on with rest of the thread. :)
1999 Amigo - Sold
1999 Trooper. Mods TBD
Enemigo
Zu Royalty