2.8 radiator fan

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

2.8 radiator fan

Postby rkdeaver » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:13 am

I’ve got a 91 2.8 trooper. I can’t find a replacement rad fan. Since it’s the 2.8 GM motor wouldn’t there be a radiator fan available that would work from other vehicles with this same motor? I’ve had no luck finding this out anyone have any luck finding a source for these new? Mines falling apart.
rkdeaver
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: 2.8 radiator fan

Postby Ed Mc. » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:24 am

IDK, I suppose you could check a junkyard S10 2.8 to see if the fan matches. However, I looked on Rockauto and an S10/15 fan clutch is not the same as the ones used on ZuZu/GM V6's.

Don't know why, but both clutches have "reverse rotation" so it's not that. Maybe a difference in clutch/fan bolt pattern, fan diameter/pitch, hard to say.

These fans are extremely difficult to find, no one seems to carry new replacements.

Try http://www.car-part.com and you'll get hits for used fan blades, all over the country.

Just for a lark, I checked this Isuzu Parts site and guess what? They actually have a new one for sale!

And it's only $415 plus shipping, what a deal!!! :drunken: :roll:

https://www.isuzupartscenter.com/oem-pa ... wtdjYtZ2Fz

HTH & G'luck...........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !

For this post the author Ed Mc. was thanked by:
rkdeaver
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 386 times

Postby geoffinbc » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:11 am

I had the same issue. Mine spat the bearings out. My solution was to install an electric fan. I really like them. They clean up the engine bay, save a few horsepower and take a lot of strain off of the water pump bearings.
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.
Off the road for an overhaul right now.

Big Bore Intake Kits & Greasable Shackles Here

For this post the author geoffinbc was thanked by:
rkdeaver
geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 356 times

Postby Shawn Anthony » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:55 am

The fan on the Chevy S-10 engine spins in the opposite direction as the Trooper. The center of the fan is off set so flipping it over will not work either due to clearance issues. The good news the fan unbolts from the clutch and the barrings in the hub are replaceable.... So as long as fan itself is not shattered its ALWAYS reusable.
Shawn Anthony
Mi Amigo

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby geoffinbc » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:49 pm

Shawn Anthony wrote:The fan on the Chevy S-10 engine spins in the opposite direction as the Trooper. The center of the fan is off set so flipping it over will not work either due to clearance issues. The good news the fan unbolts from the clutch and the barrings in the hub are replaceable.... So as long as fan itself is not shattered its ALWAYS reusable.

Depends on the year of S-10. Anything 86 and up with a 2.8L uses a reverse rotation fan just like the Trooper. The water pump is identical. The problem is that the S-10 fan sticks out way more and would never fit in the Trooper.
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.
Off the road for an overhaul right now.

Big Bore Intake Kits & Greasable Shackles Here
geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 356 times