Mystery intermittant no start

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

Mystery intermittant no start

Postby alfiedog » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:30 am

I posted previously; https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... &t=138867; about this issue and now I have a new twist.
Yesterday the truck (1988, 2.6L, manual, Fuel Injected) started great, drove to destination, parked on flat ground. Returned to truck, put in clutch, turned key and
nothing at all. No solenoid click, no sound at all. Dash lights turn on, headlights strong; I know battery is good. Same conditions as previously experienced.

In the past episodes, as soon as a battery jump was provided by another vehicle the truck immediately started.
This time while I waited for someone to show up for help with a jump or push start I took off the emergency brake, put truck in neutral and rolled it forward maybe a foot or so.
I tried to start it again and VROOM it fires right up.

Any detectives out there that can solve this mystery with the clues provided?

Joe
'88 Isuzu Pickup LS, 2.6L, FI, 5 speed manual
alfiedog
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 4 times

Sponsor

Re: Mystery intermittant no start

Postby Skeletor » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:55 pm

alfiedog wrote:I posted previously; https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic. ... &t=138867; about this issue and now I have a new twist.
Yesterday the truck (1988, 2.6L, manual, Fuel Injected) started great, drove to destination, parked on flat ground. Returned to truck, put in clutch, turned key and
nothing at all. No solenoid click, no sound at all. Dash lights turn on, headlights strong; I know battery is good. Same conditions as previously experienced.

In the past episodes, as soon as a battery jump was provided by another vehicle the truck immediately started.
This time while I waited for someone to show up for help with a jump or push start I took off the emergency brake, put truck in neutral and rolled it forward maybe a foot or so.
I tried to start it again and VROOM it fires right up.

Any detectives out there that can solve this mystery with the clues provided?

Joe

check your battery posts...and / or cables...hidden corrosion can play havoc....went thru a similar wild goose chase...turns out one of my cables had inner corrosion..replaced both and battery posts....and trouble ended
1990 Trooper V6 (sold) 1991 Trooper LS V6, (sold) 1990 Trooper V6, 2006 Pontiac Solstice,(sold) 1966 MG Midget, 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
Skeletor
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 41 times

Postby Benton » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:06 pm

starter is going bad.
1995 Isuzu Trooper LS
Benton
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby NAES » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:14 pm

I had a similar problem for a brief period. Turned out the starter connections were loose and needed to be torqued.

My guess is its something similar to the above replies.

Terminals, cables, clean grounds and tight hardware if its not one of those then starter or the "clutch engaged so it can start" switch. Dunno what its called.

NAES
NAES
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby alfiedog » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:30 pm

I'm reasonably convinced that the battery, starter and alternator are all fine.

My son borrowed the truck last night and it started right up but would not restart after being driven. Fortunately it's easy to roll start the truck....
I tried restarting it shortly after he brought it back and no luck. I left it alone until this morning and it fired right up.

I just now inspected the cables from the battery and did find a nick on the negative battery cable before it's connection to the engine block. There was a bit of conductor exposed at the nick so I taped that up. Have no idea if that would cause this problem.

It seems that cold engine = easy start and warm engine = no start.
I have no idea if there's any reason why that would be the case, but I'm grasping at ideas.

Joe
alfiedog
Loyal P'up

Postby itsmehb » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:04 pm

Read over all your posts and it seems sometimes your talking about no start and other times a no crank condition. Is it both, in that sometimes it won't start, even though it will turn over (crank) and other times it will not turn over (crank) at all. These are 2 different issues and if both are present you indeed have a problem to sort out.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

Golf is just an expensive way to play marbles
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 294 times

Postby alfiedog » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:12 am

It is always a no start situation. No crank, no solenoid click, no sound at all. Dash lights all illuminate but that's it.
alfiedog
Loyal P'up

Postby NAES » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:41 pm

Heat is the enemy of electronics. Check the grounds and make sure the connections are all clean.

Thats where my efforts would go first.
NAES
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby RickP » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:43 pm

Yes, start with the easy stuff. Take every connection off and clean the terminal and the surface it mounts to. How bad was the wire that was nicked? If corrosion gets inside the wire, it won't conduct electricity very well.
RickP
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 99 times

Postby sooaun » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:23 am

it may be the starter motor solenoid... when it's hot, it get's jammed then works fine when it's cold...
sooaun
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby alfiedog » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:58 am

I like the overheated solenoid theory.....How would you test for this?
:idea: I guess you could remove it, put it in a preheated oven at some safe temperature for X amount of time and immediately bench test while it's still hot.
Anyone see any unforeseen dangers in cooking a starter motor?

Joe
alfiedog
Loyal P'up

Postby RickP » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:07 am

Have you tried to hit the starter with a hammer or block of wood when it doesn't want to start? While someone is turning the key, whack the starter. If it starts, time for a new starter.
RickP
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 99 times

Postby alfiedog » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:44 am

I have not tried to hit the starter because it's just not very accessible to effectively give it a good smack and I'm usually alone when it doesn't start...
The re-man starter was put in 4 years / 20,000 miles ago. I'm guessing it's gone through 2 to 3 thousand cycles. I have no idea what the typical life-cycle is, and I'm sure there's great
variance....

Joe
alfiedog
Loyal P'up

Postby lajohnny » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:22 am

alfiedog wrote:I like the overheated solenoid theory.....How would you test for this?
:idea: I guess you could remove it, put it in a preheated oven at some safe temperature for X amount of time and immediately bench test while it's still hot.
Anyone see any unforeseen dangers in cooking a starter motor?

Joe
only if you stick it in the microwave.
lajohnny
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby giusedtobe » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:25 am

This may not be helpful but I had a no start situation that was caused by the connector that goes right by the battery trey and then down to the starter. On mine the plug itself had dry rotted or been eaten away by corrosion and acid. I had to break away the plastic and clean up the spade connector. Once I did that and shrink wrapped it.......no more problem.
giusedtobe
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby joens » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:38 am

Does this vehicle have a neutral safety switch that prevents it from starting in gear or without the clutch depressed? If so that would be worth inspecting.
joens
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby finefettle » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:03 am

It does have Neutral safety switch, but it does start sometimes. I had a similar issue and I went nuts. I replaced coil and seems to be ok now. when they start to go , they won't work after warm up.
I would start with the cables mentioned first though.
1988 Trooper LS ,4ZE1,Aisin Autotrans, manual hubs,cruise control
1989 Trooper LS 4ZE1, Manual,stock
finefettle
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 12 times