1988 2.6 5 spd Rebuild

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

Re: 1988 2.6 5 spd Rebuild

Postby hessmess » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:25 pm

Truthfully I am not sure if the two different chemicals would react, but lock tite is a sealant
86 Trooper (sold to brother) wrecked and recycled
88 Trooper (recycled)
91 Trooper, 3.1, bored .40, Cam, 4.3 TBI, roller rockers, Fiero valve covers, remote oil filter, LSD, 2.25 Cat back exhaust, BJ flip, 5 speed conversion, Round eye conversion-retired and parts donated to the new 91
91 LS Trooper, 5 speed, 3.4, bored intake, LSD, rebuilt using parts donated from the first 91
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 15&t=81567
89 Pup LS Space Cab, 4X4, 2.25 cat back exhaust system, LSD, Jerry Cam, otherwise stock, painted Oct 2018.
https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=55081
hessmess
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 166 times

Sponsor

Postby Ed Mc. » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:57 pm

giusedtobe wrote:SO the loctite is sufficient to prevent leaks I assume? Does it make any sense to add a little thread sealant to the last few threads?

The Loctite should spread enough to do the job. You could put a very generous drop on each bolt, just to be sure.

The factory says to use Loctite, so I'd just stay with that recommendation.
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 333 times

Postby giusedtobe » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:44 pm

OK another stupid question. This is what happens when time passes between disassembly and reassembly. I cannot tell if there is a reason that this inlet piece should be one way or the other. Looks the same on the inside but there is the little detent piece and an indention right by the bolt in the first picture. Does it matter how this goes?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giusedtobe
Super Trooper

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby DSUZU » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:46 pm

It probably doesn't matter. With the notch up, there is a flat off to the one side that WOULD have had an air bleeder in it to bleed air from the cooling system. But yours doesn't have one. The thermostat itself, may, or may not have a hole in one side that has some kind of brass rivet (or whatever). This would go up, and the spring end (or expansion end - the end without the "bridge") well, that end goes on the block side (away from the hose). Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060
City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

Forget the "free education". Why waste time. Just give me the "FREE INCOME".

For this post the author DSUZU was thanked by:
giusedtobe
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 885 times

Postby giusedtobe » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:58 pm

DSUZU wrote:It probably doesn't matter. With the notch up, there is a flat off to the one side that WOULD have had an air bleeder in it to bleed air from the cooling system. But yours doesn't have one. The thermostat itself, may, or may not have a hole in one side that has some kind of brass rivet (or whatever). This would go up, and the spring end (or expansion end - the end without the "bridge") well, that end goes on the block side (away from the hose). Dennis

Thanks, yeah the thermostat has a little bleed hole but the mechanism of it is not perfectly centered in the round thermostat body. I was wondering if this needed to be oriented a certain way. Sounds like the bleeder needs to be oriented up which makes sense.
giusedtobe
Super Trooper

Postby shaggydoink » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:12 pm

DSUZU wrote:
giusedtobe wrote:What do you guys think about this? Would I be a fool not to replace it since its so hard to get to if it fails

Honestly, this is the time to relocate it to a place where it is more accessible. Dennis

What ^^he said^^. :) I relocated the IAC and igniter when I did my last rebuild, both ended up on a small bracket I made that attaches toward the back of the ITEC. There's a picture in my build thread, or I can snap one and post if it would be helpful.

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 406 times

Postby giusedtobe » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:42 pm

shaggydoink wrote:
DSUZU wrote:
giusedtobe wrote:What do you guys think about this? Would I be a fool not to replace it since its so hard to get to if it fails

Honestly, this is the time to relocate it to a place where it is more accessible. Dennis

What ^^he said^^. :) I relocated the IAC and igniter when I did my last rebuild, both ended up on a small bracket I made that attaches toward the back of the ITEC. There's a picture in my build thread, or I can snap one and post if it would be helpful.

Jonathan

Please post a pic if you don't mind.

Thanks
giusedtobe
Super Trooper

Postby giusedtobe » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:51 pm

Been real slow as I have had to address other commitments but getting back to the Trooper now. Anybody have any cool ideas on how best to remove the old re;ease bearing from the carrier? I'm thinking of using a large socket but wanted to see what you guys would do prior to breaking out the convincers.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giusedtobe
Super Trooper

Postby Ed Mc. » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:07 pm

If you don't have a hydraulic press, maybe take it to an auto parts store. Most of them will press-off the old bearing and press-on a new one for a nominal fee.

If you do use the old socket-and-hammer routine, be careful with the bearing carrier. It looks like it's cast iron and that can be a bit brittle. If you have a vise, you can position the bearing such that it's carrying all the load. Then use a socket sized to slip thru the I.D. of the bearing and tap the bearing carrier downwards thru the bearing.

When you install the new bearing, you can't beat it on, it'll damage the bearing. You could cool the bearing carrier in the freezer for a 1/2-hour or so, and heat up the bearing to no more than 180F in a toaster oven. The bearing might just slip right on the carrier.

If that doesn't work for you, you have to have a pipe with an i.d. slightly larger than the bearing carrier, but small enough to drive the center of the bearing. You can only put force on the center, otherwise if you put force on the races at all, you'll damage the race and/or bearings.

Simplest solution is have a shop do it and throw a few $$$ at them. Easy, Peasy!

HTH........ed
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !

For this post the author Ed Mc. was thanked by:
giusedtobe
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby shaggydoink » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:51 am

giusedtobe wrote:Please post a pic if you don't mind.

Quite possibly one of the most delayed responses in history... sorry, things have been goofy the past few weeks. Here's a picture in case it's still useful:

It won't win me any design trophies but it works! My only complaint about the location is that it makes it a little tough to access the distributor, although unless you have a need to fuss with it then it's not that big a deal.

Jonathan
1990 Trooper S - 2.6L, 5-speed (my truck)
1991 Trooper S - 2.8L V6, 4-speed auto (maintained for littleredtrooper)
Ride hard, tread lightly.

For this post the author shaggydoink was thanked by:
giusedtobe
shaggydoink
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 406 times

Postby giusedtobe » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:56 am

Looks great to me! Form over fashion. The good thing is my work on the trooper has been slower than your response Lol. Just getting to the I-Tec so thanks for posting that.

Ed, my father in law had a HF press unassembled from several years ago. I blew the dust off and assembled it for him and got the bearing off and new one on.
giusedtobe
Super Trooper

Postby DSUZU » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:08 pm

shaggydoink wrote:it makes it a little tough to access the distributor

And that's why I chose to move mine to the firewall. Oh well, Subies don't even have a distributor. Dennis
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N air filter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar. Engine is bored .020 oversize and upgraded to 1994 pistons, head and EFI system.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years. 1994 Amigo devoured to provide head and EFI system.
Heavily damaged by engine compartment fire while driving on March 24th 2018, condemned by insurance company and taken on March 30th 2018 :cry:.

City of St Petersburg (Fl) Fleet Maintenance 8/23/83 - 12/4/2018 (Retired). Started new job 6/4/2019. Was retired, now just tired.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby Getsducks » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:43 pm

shaggydoink wrote:
giusedtobe wrote:Please post a pic if you don't mind.

Quite possibly one of the most delayed responses in history... sorry, things have been goofy the past few weeks. Here's a picture in case it's still useful:

It won't win me any design trophies but it works! My only complaint about the location is that it makes it a little tough to access the distributor, although unless you have a need to fuss with it then it's not that big a deal.

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan!
1989 2.8 5 Spd Trooper LS Stock - SOLD
14 Years of getting me in, around and out of places I probably shouldn't have been in the first place.
1988 2.6 5 Spd 4ZE1
A work in progress.
https://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=142989
Getsducks
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby giusedtobe » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:38 pm

Ok so I can tend to get a little ridiculous when I take on projects so I could not leave well enough alone on the I-Tec so I added a little bling back.

Now on to the real stuff!
giusedtobe
Super Trooper

Postby Ed Mc. » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:10 pm

It's Boo-Tee-Full!
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby giusedtobe » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:38 pm

DSUZU wrote:
shaggydoink wrote:it makes it a little tough to access the distributor

And that's why I chose to move mine to the firewall. Oh well, Subies don't even have a distributor. Dennis

Dennis do you have any pics of your placement of the IAC and igniter? I am still trying to decide where to put them.

Thanks
Alan
giusedtobe
Super Trooper

Postby DSUZU » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:56 am

They're about page 35-40 or somewhere in there on my build thread. Just click on the blue link in my signature. I lost a lot of pictures when we got out new laptop, but they're still here. Many have done various mods like this, but I still like mine the best. It was also all done with spare parts I had around. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby Tentin » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:17 pm

Just read through your thread, your attention to detail on this build is impressive. Lots of good information in here. Can't wait for the next updates
Tentin
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby giusedtobe » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:13 pm

Tentin wrote:Just read through your thread, your attention to detail on this build is impressive. Lots of good information in here. Can't wait for the next updates

Thanks for the kind words. I am going to be sweating bullets when I try to light it the first time! Just trying to get all the hoses and vacuum tubes sorted on the I-Tec and then its ready to go back in. I hope to get the motor back in this weekend but as you can see in this thread I'm taking my time so from getting it mounted back in the vehicle to cranking it might take a while. Lol
giusedtobe
Super Trooper

Postby giusedtobe » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:07 pm

So I am trying to replace the all the hoses going through the intake manifold and I have a question.

About the only one that Jerry apparently did not have was the one in the picture. My question to you is will comparable fuel line be sufficient here for a water pipe? Just not sure if fuel line can handle the heat. This hose is actually not in bad shape but I want all new stuff buried in there.

Second question: On these little vacuum lines that go up to the throttle body; A does it matter which is connected to which? and B. the only thing I could find in this diameter is labelled windshield wiper fluid line. Will this hold up?

Thanks
Alan
giusedtobe
Super Trooper

Postby giusedtobe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:05 pm

Since I am about to put the engine back in the trooper (finally!) I need to deal with the blown up exhaust since I don't think the neighbors would want me running straight a pipe. So been awhile since I have fooled with a muffler and am familiar with the type that slip on the pipe on both ends and attach with clamps. Unfortunately this one was welded in. Anybody have a recommendation for a replacement, particularly one that doesn't need to be welded in. Currently the measurements are as follows:

Main Pipe: 2" OD
Collar where muffler was welded on is ~4" long and 2.19" OD

I can get access to my father in law's welder but trying to avoid dropping the entire exhaust. Worst case scenario I can drive it to a muffler shop once the engine is back in.

Thanks
Alan
giusedtobe
Super Trooper

Postby DSUZU » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:52 pm

Personally, when I had exhaust fabbing to do in the past, I took measurements and headed off to the boneyard. I'd take my cordless sawzall and a few hacksaw blades and a couple of freshly charged batteries. My little wire feed welder, or my torches and a few coat hangers took care of the rest. (FWIW, a few years back when certain Sterling exhaust parts were on national back order, and our one welder at work was out with a blown back, I did the same thing with mandrel bent 4" pipes and coat hangers (my classification wouldn't allow me to use the wire welder :roll:)
Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby giusedtobe » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:29 pm

The snail parade gets back on track! I got busy today and got the lump back in its home. Was working sans help and it went pretty smoothly, just needed a bit of jiggling around etc.

No more excuses now so full steam ahead!

I'm sure I will have more questions as I get her all hooked back up. Hell I already have a plug I can't identify! :? Will keep everyone posted for those interested.

Thanks
Alan
giusedtobe
Super Trooper

Postby Ed Mc. » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:32 pm

Nice-looking "lump" sitting in your Trooper! :thumbright:
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
I am the Stig

Postby giusedtobe » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:13 am

Thanks Ed. I remember earlier in this thread several people saying the engine is easier to put in with the head off and I can tell you that boy are they right! The three bell housing bolts behind the head were a bear. :shock: I actually was standing in the engine compartment to get to one of them and I had to remove the distributor to get to the other one. I'm no small fry either so I am sure I will feel that one tomorrow. My hands and arms look like I was wrestling a pissed off porcupine.

Hard part is done. All the bell housing bolts are in as is the starter. Naturally I can't figure out all my connections so I might need some advice there. See the picture below near the firewall. I do not have a plug that corresponds with this. Anyone know what it is?

Also I can't figure out where the oil pressure sender hooks to the wiring loom. The other one hooked in to the line that went to the starter but no idea where the connection for this one is. Also it looks to have a capacitor of some sort on it and the only place close by to bolt it would be the bolt in the picture of the belt tensioner. Any help on any of these appreciated.

Thanks
Alan
giusedtobe
Super Trooper

PreviousNext

Return to General Isuzu Discussion