Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Heater/Blower Fan issue

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  K-La 
#1 ·
I would like to pick your guys brains before I head out in the -17 C weather to see if I can find the problem.

This morning my fan would not turn on, at any level. I played with all the buttons and dials, and I tried turning on and off my headlights. There was still a small amount of heat coming out of the vents but no fan to push it.

My fan has been squeaking intermittently for some time. It is not the noise that a shot bearing makes though. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the problem (I don't think it does).

My thoughts are the shaft may have been frozen and when I turned it on I may have blown the fuse, so the fuse is the first thing I will check. I don't have a volt meter but I don't think that would be the problem as it has not been an issue previously.

What other problems should I look for?

Thanks!
Kala

#2 ·
What year, Trooper or Amigo or Rodeo? I just had my blower fan motor out of my 98 Rodeo it was a snap to remove. I was just cleaning out some debris that had found it's way to my fan and making noise.

But while I had it out I went ahead and oiled the motor bearings/bushings whatever it had I couldn't see them.

Anyway there is one thing that may be causing the problem you have. The fuses are a no brainer you can check those just by pulling them with a pair of needle nose pliars. Next you need to invest in a electrical meter they aren't expensive and can tell you lots of good stuff.

Anyway there is a resistor block that may be the casue of your no blower issue. I know the 97 and older ones have it.

Check your fuses and post back.

Joe

#3 ·
Mines a 98 Rodeo too. My fiancee and I just bought it in July. It's good to hear that it will be easy to get at.

I have a meter but it's in Southern Ontario and I'm in Northern for the next couple of weeks.

I'll definitely check the resistor block. Thanks Joe!

#4 ·
If you get into the passenger side wheel well there will be a plug and 4 screws to take the motor out. You can then test it with a battery directly to the terminals.

The resistor block is behind the glove box in the middle looking from the passenger seat.

Joe

#5 ·
I had this same problem last year. Water leaked into my blower and froze there. When I went to turn it on it blew something out. Eventually I found out that the resistor block was bad, and on top of that the blower was not getting any power, even though all the fuses were good. So I replaced the resistor block and ran a power wire to the blower and everything worked.

#6 ·
Is anything else odd happening electricly? Besides fuses and resistor block another thing that can cause it to not work is a failing/failed alternator. These trucks are designed so when the alt fails it starts shutting down "non essential" components and the blower is considered one.

I thought the blower motor was supposed to still work in high if the resistor block was bad since high speed is direct connect *shrug*.

#7 ·
Nothing else is failing. The radio and such still works. The only electrical indescrepancies I have noticed is the blower fan (when it was working) would slow ever so slightly when you turned on the rear defrost. It was an audible cue, you couldn't physically feel the difference.

#8 ·
He is right its like the alt is the heart of the vehicle.. Root of all problems :twisted: :twisted:

Gizmo42 said:
Is anything else odd happening electricly? Besides fuses and resistor block another thing that can cause it to not work is a failing/failed alternator. These trucks are designed so when the alt fails it starts shutting down "non essential" components and the blower is considered one.

I thought the blower motor was supposed to still work in high if the resistor block was bad since high speed is direct connect *shrug*.

#9 ·
It was just a fuse, thankfully.

It's really funny because the manual says that the fuse for the blower is in the interior fuse box, but it's under the hood.

I knew from the circuit diagram I was looking for a 20a fuse so I pulled all of them in the interior one (just to be sure). Scratched my head for a minute then checked under the hood.

Anyway, thank you for your input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.