Isuzu SUV Forum banner

"THUMPING" From Underneath Our '02 Rodeo LS 2x4!

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bigpoppax2 
#1 ·
:?:

Hiya Folks! New kid on the block here! We've been getting a "THUMPING" coming from underneath our '02 Rodeo LS 2x4, for the last couple of weeks. This only happens when taking off, or stopping. I'm guessin' motor mounts... but might it be the tranny?

Anyone ever have this happen?

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

Glad to be here!

#2 ·
Thump clunk you are hearing is most likely your slip yolk on your 2 peice drive shaft. When the grease wears out the thumping begins. If your lucky your dealer will regrease it for free under warrenty. I was not that lucky. When I had about 15K on my Amigo I had the same thing. Finally at 40K I was sick of it and took it in to have it regeased (50 bucks). It helped for about 2k miles and then it came back. Currently the thump is gone due to the cold weather.

If you do a search here for thump or even clunk you will find more posts on this. The funny thing is the Trooper has a grease zerk in the slip yolk, so it is easy to regrease. The best solution is would to drill and tap the yolk and screw in a zerk. All 98-02 Rodeo and Amigos (okay most of them), all develop the thump, but why not the 03? Well in 03 the Rodeo came with a 1 peice drive shaft instead of a two peice! Think maybe there was a reason behind that?

-Ryan

#3 ·
Hello, I'm also a new member to the forum but have been enjoying my 1998 Trooper TOD since 1997.

I too have the thumping when I stop the vehicle and have read about the posts on greasing the yolk. Last evening I crawled under the car to replace the bushings to polys and noticed the zerk fitting but it has no holes on top. I looked closer and it looks sealed. I have a boat trailer that also has zerk fittings and it has a clear hole on top.

Do I need to replace the fitting before I can regrease the yolk on the 98 Trooper?

#4 ·
Yes a lot of fittings come from the factory sealed up like that. You have to put a greaseable fitting in it's place. At least you have the threads to put it in.

Luckily my 98 Passport (Rodeo in disguise) came with a one piece aluminum drive shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.