Help NO REVERSE ! '98 Trooper 3.5 automatic

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Help NO REVERSE ! '98 Trooper 3.5 automatic

Postby unclepossum » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:09 am

Hello ya'll. I have had my 1st Isuzu for a few months now and have really learned to appreciate them. :hello1: My sled is a '98, 3.5, auto. When I got it, I had the mechanic go through everything. One issue was medium brown trans fluid. We did a partial change by pan drop and added Lucas trans conditioner. Never had a problem with the trans, either before or after the change .... then one day last week, out of the blue, no reverse! :shock: When I move the shifter, I kinda feel reverse try to engage, but no go. Vehicle does drive forward no problem. I haven't checked the fluid yet, but it has only been a few hundred miles since the change, and she don't leak. Could there be some sort of switch module or electrical issue problem? :banghead: Thanks for any advice.
unclepossum
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Postby Mediamonkey11 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:55 am

Does the indicator on the dash indicate Reverse? If not, check the range mode sensor on the driver's side of the transmission. Just do a search here and you'll find a multitude of available knowledge...
-Tony-

viewtopic.php?t=46954

1996 Trooper LS 4X4 3.2L SOHC - Airtec Snorkel - 6000K BiXenon HIDs - 16x7.5" Snowflakes - ARB Front Winch Bumper - Vortex 12000lb Winch - Superwinch Manual Hubs - 3" lift OME 919's + Coil Spacer -OME Nitrochargers - HD Lower Links - Low Profile Droop Snubbers - Poly SwayBar Bushings - Ball Joint Flip + 1/4" Spacers, Pioneer Head Unit, Polk 6X9's in the rear doors, Polk 6.5" Front Components, Coustic 4ch 1200W Amp, Diamond Audio D912D4 12" Sub, Sub Zero 12" Vented Box.
Mediamonkey11
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby unclepossum » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:55 am

Yup .... the P,R, N, 3 .... etc show fine. I tried to search the forum-z for info on "no reverse", and did find the few about the range mode sensor .... by the way. why da heck do ya NEED a range mode sensor anyways? My '62 Ford Falcon doesn't have one and it has run good every day for the last 49 years O_o
Never eat yellow snow, never pet a burning dog, and never buy a car you can’t push.
unclepossum
Drives on Pavement

Postby Buster28 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Besides operating the gear selection lamps, the Range Mode Switch tells the PCM what position the gear selector is in to control the shift points when shifting/down shifting manually. It inhibits the starting motor solenoid relay unless in P or N. When Reverse is selected, it causes the PCM to increase hydraulic pressure to compensate for the higher torque requirements for Reverse and operates the backup lamps. It is functionally six switches in a single package. 4 for the PCM binary shift code, one for the backup lamps and one for the starting circuit.

Check your ATF fluid level ASAP
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6 76K miles
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6 48K miles
Buster28
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 355 times

Postby unclepossum » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:15 pm

OK .... so today I took the '98 Trooper to the mechanic and we put it up on the lift to check tranny fluid. It has only been a few hundred miles since the fluid change.

What a strange way to have to check fluid level! :shock: Engine running in park, then remove the higher of the two drain plugs in the bottom of the pan. Fluid ran out. It was a nice red and did not smell burnt.

NOTE TO SELF : If fluid was draining out, that would say to me that it may have been somewhat over full.

I asked about the possible high level and he said "that would not make reverse quit working." I wonder how concerned I should be about high level as these things don't even have a dipstick tube to blow any extra out?

He also plugged a scanner into the connection port at the left of the dash board and tested for any codes. No codes!

So ..... I have good trans fluid, the level is full+, the dash gear selector works fine, the back up lights come on in reverse, and when shifted to reverse, you can hear/feel it engage ....... but no go backwards! :pottytrain4:

Watchuthink? :dontknow:
Never eat yellow snow, never pet a burning dog, and never buy a car you can’t push.
unclepossum
Drives on Pavement

Postby Buster28 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 pm

My guess is the Reverse clutch is toast or there is a problem with the reverse boost pressure.
Buster28
I am the Stig

Postby unclepossum » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:35 pm

So I've been driving around just fine without reverse and have hit 400 miles since reverse disappeared. If I forget to park just right, it's a little awkward trying to push the vehicle back out of it's spot though! :withstupid: Yesterday the check engine light came on steady, and the check trans light was blinking. I stopped in at the mechanics and he hooked up the scanner. Car showed a PO751 code. He said shift solenoid #1 was faulty. Found several posts stating that a failing alternator or battery could cause this code too. As well as a bad ground, gawd knows where.

I have purchased a spare trooper for parts, and intend to swap tranny's if necessary. But if this one is an easy fix, then why go to the trouble.

Any ideas? Could a failing alternator cause the lights to come on and to lose the ability to get reverse powered up? You can feel it engage ... just no go.
unclepossum
Drives on Pavement

Postby Ramblin Fever » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:47 pm

unclepossum wrote:.

NOTE TO SELF : If fluid was draining out, that would say to me that it may have been somewhat over full.

VERY common misconception!

Fluid level most likely was NOT overfilled; what happens is when an owner checks the ATF level shortly after having just driven the truck, it WILL spill out because the fluid's still under pressure.

The correct way to check these truck's is as you stated, but needs to be started with a cold transmission....in other words, to correctly check the level, let the truck sit for a good hour or more after having drove it; then start it, and proceed the check.
'97 Rodeo 3.2L V6
16x8 MB Wheels; 32x11R16 GY Duratrac M/T
KC Fogs; Brushguard;
Yakima loadwarrior;

Maxlife/K&N

197k strong
Ramblin Fever
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 57 times

Postby Buster28 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:26 pm

DTC P0751 is 1-2/3-4 (shift A) solenoid stuck in the Off position. It is not hard to replace, but if your transmission is automatically upshifting and downshifting properly the solenoid cannot be stuck in the Off position.
Buster28
I am the Stig

Return to Drivetrain Problems