Isuzu SUV Forum banner

My project 1998 Honda Passport - lots of PICS

60K views 200 replies 36 participants last post by  98HPasSport 
#1 ·
Thanks to those who have been helpful at answering my questions, especially black98rodeo (Brandon), I was able to get my lift done (all work done by myself)....Probably the only lifted Honda in my area...lol

BEFORE: (this is a generic pic, didn't take a before pic) - this truck was severely neglected when I got it cheap $1500. Needed alot of repairs but the trans and engine were in good shape despite 181k miles.

AFTER: - $2000+ IN OEM HONDA/ISUZU PARTS AND TONS OF SANDBLASTING AND REPAINTING OLD RUSTY PARTS AND FRAME, REPLACING OLD PARTS. FIX MAJOR ISSUES ETC....pretty much did every fix posted in this forum... lol. SO THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO SHARED THEIR KNOWLEDGE HERE.

3" SUSPENSION LIFT:

3" BODY LIFT ADDED + WHEELS AND TIRES (AND MORE SANDBLASTING OF COURSE):

SANDBLASTED, POLISHED PARTS, AND CLEARCOATED AFTER SOME MAJOR SERVICE (did not polish the driveshaft though, too big, just sandblasted and clearcoated after regreasing the slip yoke). CHASSIS PAINTED W/ BEDLINER PAINT AFTER SANDBLASTING OFF RUST:

DID THE WINDOW TINT:

LOTS MORE TO COME....NOW THAT THE UNDERNEATH STUFF, BRAKES, FLUIDS, BALLJOINTS, TIMING BELT, CV AXLES, PADS, ROTORS, REAR CALIPERS, ENGINE GASKETS/SEALS/BELTS/HOSES/WIRES WORK IS DONE. PRETTY MUCH A NEW TRUCK UNDERNEATH WITH NEW PARTS AND BLASTING/PAINTING PLUS ALL THE MOD UPGRADES. THEN TIME FOR THE UPPER PARTS - FIX DENTS/PAINT WHOLE TRUCK JET BLACK, INTERIOR WORK, INSTALL FLOWMASTER 50 MUFFLER AND CUSTOM PIPING, ALARM/LOJACK, AUDIO, ETC, ETC....

See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice work. Good job.

#4 ·
:D very clean and very sharp looking 8) recon

#5 ·
I was waiting for you post some up, great job!

Im glad I could help, let me know if I can do anything else for you. :wink:

#6 ·
Gorgeous!!!

#11 ·
Ramblin Fever said:
Nice truck....funny how more and more of us are going for the Duratrac tires....I love mine.

What size you runnin?
33x12.5x15....they are pretty quiet for this type of tire once I got the proper tire pressures set after messing with the pressures for awhile (right now I'm running 32psi front and 27psi rear). I only hear a slight roar below 30mph when slowing down and when cornering an onramp/offramp when the big lugs on the outer treads touch. They are more like AT/MT hybrids. I just regular balanced them for now. I will roadforce balance them soon but it's a pain the the *** dismounting and remounting to forcematch the tires to the rims. I paid somewhere around $870 shipped for all 5 tires.

#12 ·
Hey guys, I got another question though: how can I get all my dash lights to be brighter? Is it the bulbs? I tried 3 different dimmer switches and it's all the same. The lights are a lil too dim for my taste even in max setting. I guess I'm used to the new cars nowadays that have really bright dash lights.

A couple more pics to enjoy:

#13 ·
dude, i really like your rodeo. its just about what i want. a good amout of lift and tires, not too much overkill. good work.

as for the lights, try some LED bulbs 8)

#14 ·
Looking good bud.

My dash lights aren't very bright, but they don't sound as dim as what you're describing.

#15 ·
95Rodeo4x4 said:
dude, i really like your rodeo. its just about what i want. a good amout of lift and tires, not too much overkill. good work.

as for the lights, try some LED bulbs 8)
Yeah I got one LED bulb in my clock and that seems to be brighter. So that might be the ticket. Now I just have to figure out what sizes they all are. The cluster, the a/c controls, the auto shift lever lights, etc....Eventually they will all be LED including the door lights and dome lights....hehe.

I also wanna change the color of the "power mode" indicator in the dash. Looks too much like a check engine light from outside the truck...lol. I pulled the bulb out of one of my spare clusters and it's not the bulb, it's the plastic inside. I will try a blue LED bulb and see if it comes out green with that yellow plastic.

#20 ·
98HPasSport said:
95Rodeo4x4 said:
question, is your passport an auto or 5 speed?
AUTO
well, this Question should apply anyway, how did you raise your shifters for your tranny an t-case with the body lift?

#22 ·
If you have any problems engaging 4wd, you could either notch the floor pan or take the t-case shifter off and weld in an extension. (the extension being the best choice)

The auto shifter has enough slack in it.

#23 ·
hey guys, i recently got a horrendous knock in my engine fearing it's a rod. but, i read around here and saw that it's most likely the timing belt tensioner? i've been putting off doing the timing belt and it has 185k with unknown history. it sounds like someone hammering from inside the block. if it really was a rod knock, wouldn't it set off the knock sensor and turn on the CEL? i have no CEL and the truck runs fine once it's above 1700rpm and rolling. i'm really hoping it's just the timing belt tensioner cus this is my only daily ride at the moment. i guess i'll take off the timing covers and see if there is any slack in the belt.

anyone wanna give their input who dealt with this problem, i would really much appreciate it. :(

i'd also like to mention it ran low on oil recently and this started happening. i was using 5w30 synthetic and i guess it almost burned it all off in a few hundred miles. i put in 10w30 conventional but the knock is still there...

sounds like this but goes away when i rev higher...http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=47648&highlight=knocking.....but you can see he has a check engine light on, mine doesn't. so his could be a rod?

#25 ·
My experience on the tensor going, is that the sound goes away after higher rpm's because it takes the slack out of the belt. Normally the tensor keeps the tension for you at lower rpm's, once it gives you hear the "diesel" sound.

#26 ·
When you pull the covers go ahead and replace the belt and tensioner. Your local Honda place will have the parts, im getting all my parts from them. Trust me you don't want your t-belt to snap.....bye bye motor.

I can print you the step by step instructions to do the job if you want me to. Gotta love working at a dealership.

8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.