Coolant leak on 93 Trooper

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

Coolant leak on 93 Trooper

Postby Square » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:17 am

Hello all. Just bought my 93 trooper. It was on CL for cheep and I thought I got a good deal. The ad said it needed a radiator but other then that the car was sound. The guy had 6 years of maitnace history that came with the car that had a long list of thing he had replace over the years. This was everything from belts to both heads. BTW the truck has 183K on the 3.2L (only engine offered?)

Sorry this is a wall of texted but i try to give as many details as i can.

I got the car home and swaped out the radiator. The truck ran fine the day after the swap and showed no signs of heating up past normal temps or any other coolant leaks. (City and freeway driving) I got a call from a friend that his mr2 had broken its timing belt and he asked if i could flat tow him home with my newly fixed rig. Having had no problems for a day and a half of driving after the rad swap I said sure, grabed the tow rope and went to save my friend from the side of the road.

I get there and get hooked up. We get half way there and i notice that the temp is at the up at about the 60% mark of the temp gauge. (normal for the rig is 40%) We had just run up a hill and I had been towing him for about 6 miles at this point so I just thought that it was getting a little worm from towing the rig. I kept an eye on it till we were going around a corner. The temps had stayed put and had not gone above around 60% for the rest of the way till we got near his house. I was watching traffic and making a uphill left turn (across traffic) and was not keeping my eye on the temp as i was more conserend about us not getting hit making the turn.

I look down at the temp gauge after the turn and I was in the red. :( I pulled us over right away and turned off the engine that second. I got out of the car and there was steam coming from around the fire wall as well as a hising sound. I was pissed as I had owned the trooper about 72 hours at that point.

Thankfally we were 3 blockes from my buddys house and he said I could just leave the trooper there till we could fix it. The next day we tried to find the problem with the trooper but could not see the source of this new leak. The leak was coming from someplace near the back passenger side of the engine (US spec) With the engine not running there is a steady leak coming from that part of the engine. I can't see the leak at all and am thinking its a core plug or something from the back of the engine. I have jacked up the rig and tried to see it from the bottom but I can't.

Your thoughts on this would be very helpfull. Also if you had a pic of the back and side of the 3.2 engine that would also help.

Thank you for helping with this.

Edit: P.S. I am a mechanic in training and do all my own repair work.
93 Trooper LS, Blue on Blue baby :)

Brute Force and Ignerance. If It can't be fixed with a hammer, It can't be fixed. ;)
Square
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Postby Airhead rider » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:33 am

OK, be mindful I'm no expert here. What I do know is there is an oring sealing a coolant tube beneath the intake that likes to leak occasionally and many have had a hard time finding that leak. Look under your intake and see if it's a swimming pool. My second guess (and I do mean guess) would be possibly heater core? Not so likely it's a core plug though that is certainly possible too.
91 Trooper LS 3.1 tranplant, 5 speed
94 Trooper
91 Trooper 2.6 5-speed
Airhead rider
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby boritz » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:21 pm

Agreeing with A-r, there is a cross-over pipe on the rear of the engine joining the two cylinder heads. Plus 'O' rings are involved in the plumbing.

I have had these blow - leaking coolant down the rear of the motor.

Forum member bendorfold posted this pic of the engine's rear http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=15158:

Aussie 1997 3.2V6 SOHC 6VD1 Holden Jackaroo SE (Isuzu Trooper/Bighorn/Monterey) 5-speed manual, rear LSD, front Lokka (manual free-wheel hubs).
boritz
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby bmxguy08 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:00 am

Airhead rider wrote:OK, be mindful I'm no expert here. What I do know is there is an oring sealing a coolant tube beneath the intake that likes to leak occasionally and many have had a hard time finding that leak. Look under your intake and see if it's a swimming pool. My second guess (and I do mean guess) would be possibly heater core? Not so likely it's a core plug though that is certainly possible too.

^^ check that cross over pipe!
bmxguy08
Drives on Pavement

UPDATE Found the problem

Postby Square » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:39 am

So after fixing my friends mr2 its now time to fix the trooper. I found the coolant leak and like you said its the cross over pipe.

Now my only problem is how the hell do I get to it? I have the upper intake off (rags stuffed in the open holes) and i can kind of feel the bolts but as far as room to work... there is none.

Any ideas or nuggets of information would be helpfull.

Thanks again.

Brute Force and Ignerance. If It can't be fixed with a hammer, It can't be fixed. ;)
Square
Drives on Pavement

Postby boritz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:42 am

I seem to recall guru JLEMOND advising something along the lines of undoing the transmission mount and jacking the motor up (swings forward) to gain space between the motor and firewall.

Keep an eye on the fan and radiator - there should be enough room.
Aussie 1997 3.2V6 SOHC 6VD1 Holden Jackaroo SE (Isuzu Trooper/Bighorn/Monterey) 5-speed manual, rear LSD, front Lokka (manual free-wheel hubs).
boritz
Trail Rider

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby tacklebox » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:29 pm

i replaced those gaskets on my wifes 95 trooper. they are hard to get to, but jacking the trans is the only way to get to them. a 12mm offset wrench is the only tool you will need to get this part off. the gaskets are just oval thermostat gaskets. i just fixed the crossover pipe and the bypass tube o-rings. be patient. any more help you need PM me. there is a bolt holding the manifold to the by pass tube 12mm as well. HTH
90 trooper 2.6 tacklebox mine
95 trooper 3.2 suzy hers
90 trooper 2.8 (for now)
tacklebox
Loyal P'up

Postby Square » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:29 am

thanks for the advice. A friend of mine (with smaller hands) was able to get those bolts out and back in. The gasket on the passenger side was ____ ed over. Got the trooper back togeather and flushed the coolant system and took her for a spin this after noon. Ran out fine.

Square
Drives on Pavement

Return to Drivetrain Problems