backfire/popping/lack of power/bogging down

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

backfire/popping/lack of power/bogging down

Postby idaho 23 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:45 am

i have a 93 trooper that makes a random backfire type pop from time to time. It really bogs down and loses power when I press on the gas. I can get it to go with gentle pressure, but the popping gets to be pretty bad. I have changed plugs, wires, checked egr, changed o2 sensor, did a seafoam treatment but no change at all. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out. Anyone have a clue about what to do with this problem. :?:
idaho 23
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Postby Ghost » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:14 am

it might be the same problem im having the fuel pump isn't supplying enough pressure for the injectors so the engine is running lean (not enough fuel ) that is causing the back firing through the intake i bet i bet if you from idle put the gas to the floor it wont go up at all maybe bounce around 1500 to 2000 and backfire through the intake than is what is happening with mine and its the fuel pump do or get some one to do a fuel pressure test on it i bet you are running like me around 20 psi maybe even 25 psi this is assuming you truck is fuel injected 3.2 and not the throttle body 3.1
ASE Master cert in brakes, auto/manual trans
suspension/steering, electrical/electronic systems, heating/ac, engine repair,axles /trans axles,
1994 passport v6 3.2 all stock with factory brush guard,255\65\16 grabber at2 tires and home made roof rack and manual hubs thanks to a friend on here
1996 ford exploder limited v6 sold :-( and person blew up the transmission and sold it to a scrap yard
1988 trans am GTA 350 tpi soon to be a 383 stroker blown 8-) still working on it ....
Ghost
Trail Master

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby pmat » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:32 am

pretty much having same problem, just a little more severe. ill keep you updated if i figure anything out :)
-95 Trooper, 3.2 sohc, 5 spd. 6" lift, RIP :(
- 91 BMW E30 318IS
pmat
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 2 times

more information

Postby idaho 23 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:51 pm

I am getting horrible fuel mileage, we are talking 6 to 8 mpg and there is a strong fuel odor to the exhaust so it is defineltly running very rich. Any help? it does the backfiring at all throttle levels, from start up and doesn't matter if it is hot or cold It will do it.
idaho 23
Drives on Pavement

Postby pmat » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:41 pm

same here, today i went through 1/4 tank driving 20 miles around town! and i took a whiff of my exhaust today and got a terrible headache. we need help :!:
- 91 BMW E30 318IS
pmat
Zu Royalty

Re: backfire/popping/lack of power/bogging down

Postby DAMUDKING » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:18 pm

idaho 23 wrote:i have a 93 trooper that makes a random backfire type pop from time to time. It really bogs down and loses power when I press on the gas. I can get it to go with gentle pressure, but the popping gets to be pretty bad. I have changed plugs, wires, checked egr, changed o2 sensor, did a seafoam treatment but no change at all. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this one out. Anyone have a clue about what to do with this problem. :?:

just to add to this the engine was recently swapped in out of a great running trooper that was in a light roll. The issue has gotten worse, it use to do it very little on start up until it was to operating temp but now it does it from initial starting. the popping noise is coming from the exhaust not back through the intake. we also swapped in a different coil pack with no change. we have temporaily removed the cat with no change also. the enhine sounds great NO TICK, and sits there and purrs. when it pops out thg exhaust there is no visible miss or hesitation while idling.(but it does make the popping sound through the exhaust)
Im going to bring my timing light down and go through a few things...
should i post up a video?
ImageImage

92 V6 RODEO, 2nd gen 12 bolt rear, LSD, 4.56's, 4.5" lift, 33x13.5 LTB's
95 rodeo V6 4x4-stock
James
DAMUDKING
Expedition Ready

Postby Hobbysickness » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:24 pm

This probably isn't the problem but can't hurt to check. I had the same symptoms and it turned out in the end to be a burnt valve, and some worn out valves. I did the same stuff your doing to try and solve the issue, a compression check found the problem in cylinder 1. it was at about 5 psi, exhaust valve was toast.

93 Isuzu Amigo 5spd 2wd 2.3 - RIP
91 Trooper LS 2.8 - 2 inch suspension, 33 BFG A/T's , hand fabricated push bar, Uniden pc76XL with K90 whip. Still feeding her $$ and loving it!
Hobbysickness
Mud King

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Tanman85 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:58 pm

Sounds ignition related with the poor mileage and the smell of unburnt gas at the exhaust. The back firing is the raw gas burning in the hot exhaust, this is not good for the cat converter and can kill it. You said you placed the plugs and wire, did any of the plugs have oil on them? The valve cover seals can leak and oil can get into the spark plug tubes and cause the plugs to short creating a misfire. Maybe bad coil and you could start swapping one of the three out one at a time with a known good one and see if the problem improves. I had a similar problem where the engine would run terrible under load and would not get up to speed, but put it in neutral and it would rev just fine. Turned out I had some oil in the spark plug tubes and one of my plug wires was intermittently making the circuit incomplete. My mileage went way down and I would spew soot out the exhaust. New plugs and wires and the problem was gone. Maybe you got a bad plug or a bad wire in the ones you replaced? I used NGK plugs and Bosch OE wires (would have used NGK ones but they weren't available when I needed them), if you went the inexpensive route sometimes you get what you pay for. But even the expensive stuff can fail/DOA. HTH.
-Mike
95 Trooper 3.2 SOHC Auto 200K, Spectre/DIY air intake, K&N air filter, front and rear poly sway bar bushings, 255/70/R16 Definity Dakota A/Ts, Magnaflow cat, Flowmaster 50 series, 2.5" exhaust, removed factory exhaust restrictors, Superwinch hubs, fuel injectors serviced by RC Engineering, PCV catch can, SS brake lines, JET Performance ECU, Hayden electric fan, B&M trans cooler
Tanman85
Has a Trail Truck

Postby pmat » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:45 pm

UNPLUG O2 SENSOR AND TAKE IT FOR A SPIN!
i did it, and it ran like a bat outta hell from 750rpm to 6000.
now i guess i need a new o2 :/
- 91 BMW E30 318IS
pmat
Zu Royalty

popping

Postby idaho 23 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:19 pm

I replaced the plugs and there was some oil in the tubes despite changing the seals out. The wires will be my next step. I had recently put these on prior to the swap out the motor. The plugs are a cheap set of autozone jobbers so I will get some decent ones.
idaho 23
Drives on Pavement

Postby sassee » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:05 pm

Have you checked the compression yet? You need to!

2000 Nissan Xterra SE, Daughters new toy.
94 Trooper 3.2 w/ a 5-speed brand new off the showroon floor in 1994, traded 2 years later for a Power Stroke dually
88 Trooper LS GONE
89 Trooper XS (Red) - GONE to a good home in Alabama
89 Trooper SE (Blackie) - Gone to a good home but won't be forgotten anytime soon!
98 Acura SLX. Totaled Fathers Day 2012, Repaired, repainted and re-badged as a Trooper on August 5, 2012
98 Trooper, 3.5 with a 5-speed. pics and more to come
89 Trooper, 2.6 w/ 5-speed. Dubbed "BLUE" pulling the head now but all of my leftover goodies will be on here soon!
sassee
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 71 times

Postby Faz » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:53 pm

Could be sticky valves rather than necessarily a bad head or burnt valves?

See this post here :

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic ... 115#373115

Tis solved a big problem I had on my 1990 Troop.
UK owner of a 2.6i petrol Trooper!
Faz
Drives on Pavement

Return to Drivetrain Problems