SUPER FLEXY IFS KIT

Discuss anything related to drivetrain mods here (Engine &Transmission Swaps, lift, gearing, exhaust, etc)

Moderator: Staff

SUPER FLEXY IFS KIT

Postby BigMeatVX » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:26 pm

I have designed, fabricated, tested and patented a new set of parts that allow IFS to articulate in ways that were not possible before.

The parts attach to the OEM locations and require no drilling to install.

The design is such that the two torsion bars are now semi-connected and interact with each other...

The SUPER FLEXY IFS KIT allows one tire to be at FULL COMPRESSION while the other tire is at FULL DROOP, AND more importantly while the tires are in these extreem positions, the weight is ballanced between the two tires MUCH MORE evenly, and the vehical remains much more level, while increasing traction....Typical OEM syle IFS does not allow this as much.

Also, as one front tire climes an obstical and compresses that side of the suspension, the KIT transfers force to the other front tire, pushing it downward...
This does a few things...First, the tire climing the obstical has its spring rate decreased, allowing it to stuff farther and easier and sooner up into the wheelweell untill it reaches maximum compression (bump stop)... at the same time, the tire on the opposite side has its spring rate increased, pushing it down into the terrain...

For example, With this Kit, You can drop one front tire into a 4" deep rut while the other front tire is sitting on a 4" tall rock, and maintain EQUAL tire preasure on both fronts, and maintain a more level vehical as well.

Included is a SECUREMENT PIN that allows the KIT and the susension to function as per OEM design with the PIN installed (for on road use)...Remove the pin for off road use and MUCH MORE ARTICULATION.

Here are a few pictures.

The last pic is of the parts istalled on a crossmember.
Darwin was right....we are ALL just a bunch of super-intelligent animals....Follow your instincts, not some useless religion!!!
BigMeatVX
Drives on Dirt

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Postby VX1032 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:41 pm

I love this idea, any idea as to what generations or model it fits? Obviously the VX, and I would suppose 2nd gen troopers.

How long does it take for install, what is involved?

How many miles have you put on it on and offroad for wear and extra strain on the vehicle for long term durability?
Ryan Christiansen
99 Vehicross 1032
OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, Definity Dakota MT 285/75 R16, Aussie Lockers Front and Rear, 4.77 gears and Warn Premium Manual Hubs.

88 Trooper 2.6 Auto with Snowflakes and 235/85's, and a pickup bed! In progress http://picasaweb.google.com/RyanVehiX/ProjectBruiser#
VX1032
Donor
Donor

Postby BigMeatVX » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:00 pm

They are availble for all isuzu...and other makes and models coming very soon.
Darwin was right....we are ALL just a bunch of super-intelligent animals....Follow your instincts, not some useless religion!!!
BigMeatVX
Drives on Dirt

Postby MOUNTAINEERISUZU1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:24 pm

I guess I dont understand exactly what is going on here. Are the bars actually moving? Can you try to explain what is going on a little more. some pictures of it in action meaning while its flexed and at stock location would help. that flex on that vx looks awesome. us rack and pinion guys would have to work something out but I think that is pretty easy in retrospect.
1998 ISUZU RODEO W/LOTS O' CRAP
MOUNTAINEERISUZU1
Donor
Donor

Postby MOUNTAINEERISUZU1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Also for someone to be as smart as you are to design and fabricate this you really need to work on your spelling a bit. It would lend to your credibility in its overall mechanical workmanship.

not bustin your balls, just an observation. now tell me more. :lol:
MOUNTAINEERISUZU1
Donor
Donor

Postby psguardian » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:48 pm

MOUNTAINEERISUZU1 wrote:I guess I dont understand exactly what is going on here. Are the bars actually moving? Can you try to explain what is going on a little more. some pictures of it in action meaning while its flexed and at stock location would help. that flex on that vx looks awesome. us rack and pinion guys would have to work something out but I think that is pretty easy in retrospect.
With the lock pin removed the T-bars push on each other instead of the frame.
When you roll over a boulder in the trail with your FR tire in a stock IFS set up it pushes against the cross member & forces the rig to tilt to the left.
With the lock pin removed this mod transfers the upward force of the FR t-bar into downward force on the FL T-bar.
Which helps give instant lift to the FL side, maintaining neutral body roll, & increased traction while climbing the obstacle (the boulder).

So long as you have your bump stops set right this is potentially better then a SAS.

I LOVE it!
x2 on the durability question
The pin seems kinda skinny to be anchoring both T-bars, any wear-n-tear on it from road driving yet?
Does it truly fit all Isuzu T-bar cross members without modification?
How much shipped?

~psguardian
hot 2.6L build
Her Rig: '06 TrailBlazer Ext 4.0L Strait 6 (my Daily Driver till my rig is street legal)
Dae wrote:Jerry is the Chuck Norris of Isuzu's, he could build one blind folded with one arm behind his back if he had to. :lol:

PNW Zoo Facebook Group
psguardian
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby DAMUDKING » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:54 pm

im very interested in price also....discount for zoo members :D
do you actually drive(off road) your vx with those tires?

this and a wide track swap seems like it may hold off my sas dreams for a while...
ImageImage

92 V6 RODEO, 2nd gen 12 bolt rear, LSD, 4.56's, 4.5" lift, 33x13.5 LTB's
95 rodeo V6 4x4-stock
James
DAMUDKING
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby MOUNTAINEERISUZU1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:03 pm

I see whats going on now. I was also concerned about the pin diameter. I would expect to see something in the 1/2 in range but if it works and is durable then great.

x2 on cost. I am working on a steering mod for the r and p allowing more articulation without binding so this would be a great addition.

keep the info coming
MOUNTAINEERISUZU1
Donor
Donor

Postby chikoroll » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:18 pm

yea, what's the cost? looks sweet as
Holden Jackaroo '98 3.5L Petrol Auto (Isuzu Trooper) (Australia)
Isuzu Trooper '97 3.1 Turbo Diesel Manual (UK)
Isuzu Bighorn '94 3.1 Turbo Diesel Auto (UK)
Holden Jackaroo '98 3.0 Turbo Diesel Manual (Australia)
Holden Jackaroo '94 3.1 Turbo Diesel Manual (Australia)

my ride - viewtopic.php?t=25833
my videos
chikoroll
Zu Royalty

Postby Slade1 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:40 pm

:headbang: Yeah, lets see some pricing and availability! :headbang:
......all those who wander are not lost.

92 Trooper OME 929, HD SwayAway Tbars, BJ Flip & spacers, Superwinch hubs, Optima Red Top, 32 in. tires, KYB MonoMax shocks.
93 Trooper, stone stock (for now)
Slade1
Drives on Dirt

Postby Camiel » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:51 pm

Very nice kit!!!

But I have some questions

How do you fit it on a 1st gen trooper or rodeo?
Their torsion bars don't end on a cross member IIRC

And is there enough room for the longer manual transmission prop shaft at full drop?

As I already said: That kit is sweet!

Camiel
Camiel
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Ghost » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:53 pm

will it work on my passport if so how much money for it
ASE Master cert in brakes, auto/manual trans
suspension/steering, electrical/electronic systems, heating/ac, engine repair,axles /trans axles,
1994 passport v6 3.2 all stock with factory brush guard,255\65\16 grabber at2 tires and home made roof rack and manual hubs thanks to a friend on here
1996 ford exploder limited v6 sold :-( and person blew up the transmission and sold it to a scrap yard
1988 trans am GTA 350 tpi soon to be a 383 stroker blown 8-) still working on it ....
Ghost
Trail Master

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby psguardian » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:24 pm

BigMeat really needs to stop dropping by to promote a new product & the disappearing for a week while the frenzy builds... Hang out & answer some damn questions. Don't just hang the carrot & walk away.

~psguardian
hot 2.6L build
Her Rig: '06 TrailBlazer Ext 4.0L Strait 6 (my Daily Driver till my rig is street legal)
Dae wrote:Jerry is the Chuck Norris of Isuzu's, he could build one blind folded with one arm behind his back if he had to. :lol:

PNW Zoo Facebook Group
psguardian
Almost Joe Isuzu

Re: SUPER FLEXY IFS KIT

Postby ZuBrew » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:33 pm

I like this
BigMeatVX wrote: SUPER FLEXY IFS KIT
1999 Honda Passport
2WD / OME 913s / 31X10.5X15 / Gabriel Ultras - SOLD

1996 Acura SLX
G80 / OME 919s / 31X10.5X15 BFG / Aisin Hubs

1994 FZJ80
CDL w/7Pin Mod / OME Med / 285/75/16 AT
ZuBrew
Expedition Ready

Postby BigMeatVX » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:52 pm

The securement pin diameter is 1/2"...I guess it does look kinda skinny next to the other beefy parts. The steel is 3/4" thick.

The torsion bar keys (spline dia./count) are slighty different from year to year and for certain isuzu models...But, I have them in stock...It SHOULD fit a Gen 1 Trooper...I will verify this for sure, soon. Some Rodeos have a removeable drop out crossmember, however the overall torsion bar design is the same...

psguardian....thanks for the detailed explaination...very helpfull.

As far as the durability, I have had it installed on my Daliy driver for almost for over 5 months(with the pin removed)....I have jumped, bottomed out, bounced, cornered on two wheels with this kit installed...with ZERO issues...
There are greasable zerk fittings at all the wear points on the kit...And there is no movement or wear while the PIN is installed (on road use)

It takes between 1-3 hrs to install, depending on your tools, skills, and how rusty/dirty the underside of your isuzu is. :roll:
NO DRILLING REQUIRED.

Cost is $299 + shipping...About 35 lbs. or approx $48 for UPS in USA

Yes, I wheel the VX VERY hard...quite often...
BigMeatVX
Drives on Dirt

Postby jwood1016 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:56 pm

You got any vids of your truck wheeling with this installed???
John

99 Amigo, 285/75/16's, 5-spd
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=67852
jwood1016
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 15 times

Postby dman4486 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:57 pm

couple of questions:

will this kit work on the gen 1.5 passodeos?(wide track)

is it recommended to use something "load balancing" with the stock rate torsion tubes or would you go to the High rate tubes?
-Darren

GET YOUR PLANETZOO STICKERS HERE: http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38212&hilit=planet+isuzoo+sticker

1996 Honda Passport EX up 3" on 285 75's (33's) http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38631&hilit=dman%27s+passodeo
2012 Audi A3 2.0T 6MT
2007 Honda Shadow 583 w/ mods
1973 Ford Maverick(drag) <--- Probably going soon
dman4486
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby BigSwede » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:45 am

BigMeatVX wrote:Yes, I wheel the VX VERY hard...quite often...

This, I can verify...though I haven't seen him with the kit installed yet.
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II antenna, generic 8" driving lights, even more generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 174 times

Postby chikoroll » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:17 am

BigMeatVX wrote:The securement pin diameter is 1/2"...I guess it does look kinda skinny next to the other beefy parts. The steel is 3/4" thick.

The torsion bar keys (spline dia./count) are slighty different from year to year and for certain isuzu models...But, I have them in stock...It SHOULD fit a Gen 1 Trooper...I will verify this for sure, soon. Some Rodeos have a removeable drop out crossmember, however the overall torsion bar design is the same...

psguardian....thanks for the detailed explaination...very helpfull.

As far as the durability, I have had it installed on my Daliy driver for almost for over 5 months(with the pin removed)....I have jumped, bottomed out, bounced, cornered on two wheels with this kit installed...with ZERO issues...
There are greasable zerk fittings at all the wear points on the kit...And there is no movement or wear while the PIN is installed (on road use)

It takes between 1-3 hrs to install, depending on your tools, skills, and how rusty/dirty the underside of your isuzu is. :roll:
NO DRILLING REQUIRED.

Cost is $299 + shipping...About 35 lbs. or approx $48 for UPS in USA

Yes, I wheel the VX VERY hard...quite often...

how much to ship to australia?
Holden Jackaroo '98 3.5L Petrol Auto (Isuzu Trooper) (Australia)
Isuzu Trooper '97 3.1 Turbo Diesel Manual (UK)
Isuzu Bighorn '94 3.1 Turbo Diesel Auto (UK)
Holden Jackaroo '98 3.0 Turbo Diesel Manual (Australia)
Holden Jackaroo '94 3.1 Turbo Diesel Manual (Australia)

my ride - viewtopic.php?t=25833
my videos
chikoroll
Zu Royalty

Postby MOUNTAINEERISUZU1 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:09 am

big meat, let me figure out my steering and ill give it a run for 300.
MOUNTAINEERISUZU1
Donor
Donor

Postby Bansil » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:29 am

Very interesting.
I have a few questions.
1)how much wear has the crossmember taken,as the t-bar adjusters rotate on it.
2)how much or how quick is the front body roll,since it has very little resistance with pin removed?
3)very cool thinking outside the box.

And as for the rack/pinion durabiliity,mountainair joed has solved it and so did I,its verry simple and costs nothing.and I truly believe tha way we beat on the trucks racing,it works.
La Tortuga...the bus
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12570
The Turtles' site
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/505863/1998-isuzu-rodeo/
My Amigo build "Lowrider"
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18800&hilit=lowrider

nfpgasmask wrote: I think it looks like a robot penis, but then again, I have a sick mind.

:) Bart
Bansil
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 59 times

Re: SUPER FLEXY IFS KIT

Postby psguardian » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:18 am

BigMeatVX wrote:I have designed, fabricated, tested and patented a new set of parts that allow IFS to articulate in ways that were not possible before.....
What is your patent number?

~psguardian
hot 2.6L build

PNW Zoo Facebook Group
psguardian
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby RamAirZ » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:41 am

dman4486 wrote:couple of questions:

will this kit work on the gen 1.5 passodeos?(wide track)

is it recommended to use something "load balancing" with the stock rate torsion tubes or would you go to the High rate tubes?

The wide track doesn't matter, the t-bars are the same distance apart from each other. The main difference I've seen between the Zu's as far as the T-bars are concerned is a different spline on some and diameter. The 1st gen Rodeo and 2nd gen Troop/VX's Tbars are the same distance apart. I remember Tad and Andre (Starchild) learning this when he did his Dana 300 swap (tcase was touching the tbars in the 1st gen Rodeo so Tad checked his trooper to see if there would be more room for him later on, there wasn't). Glad to see you finally got this together Alan, awesome work and thanks for putting the time in on it. PSguardian, the only thing I can think of that a solid axle would have over this setup would be total flex, we are limited by our control arms bottoming out on full droop that and the CV angles would limit us (for now until we get some better ones or a long travel IFS kit set-up). Also to bring over from his VX board post, to take full advantage of this mod you'd want low profile bump stops on top AND bottom up front, a ball joint flip and spacer is another +
Owner- http://www.greasemonkeygarage.org Your auto, diesel repair and high performance source in Panama City

For this post the author RamAirZ was thanked by:
tonnydoodles
RamAirZ
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 21 times

Postby psguardian » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:18 pm

RamAirZ wrote:.....PSguardian, the only thing I can think of that a solid axle would have over this setup would be total flex, we are limited by our control arms bottoming out on full droop that and the CV angles would limit us (for now until we get some better ones or a long travel IFS kit set-up).....
Running on the assumption that this fits 1st Gen Troopers (need confirmation on this), If/when you find a resolution to our CV issue, all we would need is to set diff drop to put pumpkin @ dead center of new CV/control arm travel and install this. For added fun do the sway bar mod that puts a lock pin in the middle of it, pull two pins and the only limiters would be the pump stops.

~psguardian
hot 2.6L build

PNW Zoo Facebook Group
psguardian
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby RamAirZ » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:25 pm

yup, that's the main goal. Depending on how much lift you have will depend on how much diff drop you'd need, and I've been looking at cutting out the lower control arm a bit to allow more downward clearance for the CV;s.
Owner- http://www.greasemonkeygarage.org Your auto, diesel repair and high performance source in Panama City
RamAirZ
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 21 times

Next

Return to Drivetrain Mods