CV joint and boot Q's - 98 rodeo

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

CV joint and boot Q's - 98 rodeo

Postby isuzukids » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi all , working on my sons rodeo 4x4. Put on the split boots last year as a qiuck fix and overall they're not A bad fit on the outer side but an absolute joke of a design on the inside. Anyway upper steering arm joint seems gone, lots of banging when hitting a bump so time to replace some things and keep it safe and get rid of that crappy blue boot.
I've read and read but the following is it not clear to me:
How does the axle splined end come out of the hub to replace the outer boot if the inside is fine? read the stickey but it talks about removing the inner boot and cleaning the joint but not how the splined end comes out.

I've done lots of front wheel drives and it just pulls out of the hub. what keeps these in , anything? (on the hub side) I understand why u would use a half shaft due to the design on the interior differential system if I decide to replace the shaft.
The shaft does not click in two wheel drive but sure does in 4 wheel!
I'm assuming even though it moves freely in 2 wheel the added pressure of the actual wheel driving in 4 wheel tourqes the crap out of it?
That being said if I go the half shaft route I have done the following what am I missing other than not understanding how the hub end comes out?
I'm good with the interior removal from the "green" casing via the great sticky;

1) remove upper control arm ball joint (replacing)
2) remove lower ball joint (replacing)
3) remove steering tie-rod end (replacing)
4) remove caliper and hang (new pads)
5) remove anti-roll tie end - small oblong rubber and replace with better
6) remove ati-lock harness (hub side)

What am I missing?
Thanks all - 3 isuzuskids and counting
98/2000 rodeo's (son and daughter)
99 trooper (daughter)
isuzukids
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Postby MOUNTAINEERISUZU1 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:40 pm

the only way to get it out of the hub is to dissasemble the hub and remove the c clip that retains it. However that prob wont help you as breaking down the outside cv joint is a bear. Just pull the inner cv joint out of the cup and tear down to axle. Then remove the lower boot and try to clean the outer joint as best you can. Pack it with some fresh grease and slide the inner boot down the shaft to it.

Start here

http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/tech/CVboots/

have lots of towels and break cleaner handy
1998 ISUZU RODEO W/LOTS O' CRAP
MOUNTAINEERISUZU1
Donor
Donor

Postby isuzukids » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:39 am

yea I figured it out and tore the whole thing apart. hung the wheel hub on wires sitting on a small step bench with the antilock sensor attatched. from what i read they just get ruined if u dick with them. removed the upper arm steering ball joint - what a Phuker to get loose. good thing I read the posts here on where to hit and how hard. I never would have got it out if I didn't do the tire iron and hit method with THE BFH. got the bottom one out too , another joy. then the tie-rod end, that took some yankee knowhow and some wood blocks etc,
found the circlip under the dustcap that holds in the splined end and removed the whole flippen thing. the outer joint had movement but certainly wasn't totaly fried. the inner was nice and greasy and had no movement. shame to take it out since the boot was fine but am replacing with the whole half shaft and all new parts. worth replacing eveything since I have it all apart and the parts are fairly cheap. will put it all back together tom. and post......
isuzukids
Drives on Pavement

Postby isuzukids » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:16 pm

well it certainly goes back quicker that taking it all apart. about and hour and a half to put in all new parts and now with kyb's the suspension is tight as heck. ran nto one small snag though: autoparts store ordered the full drives shaft after I made it perfectly clear I wanted the half shaft . took it anyway and tried to get the inner cup out to no avail. did not to push it any furhter so I just seperated the new shaft inner cup and made my own half shaft. (well more like 4/5ths).
I know I read here somewhere why the inner cup is not to be screwed with but couldn't find it again and am wondering why they don't come out?
anyway it's all done and said. now for the other side!
isuzukids
Drives on Pavement

Return to Drivetrain Problems