1997 Isuzu Rodeo Transmission Problem

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

1997 Isuzu Rodeo Transmission Problem

Postby BonesMachine » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:39 pm

First time post here. I have a 97 Rodeo V6 3.2L with 189k miles and an automatic transmission. I just got the car with the tranny problem so I don't know much about the history of it.

The tranny is slipping out of gear when shifting to 3rd gear at around 25-30 mph. It will feel like it should shift from 2nd to 3rd but it doesn't and then it will just completely slip out of gear as if it were in neutral. Driving in 1st and 2nd gear seems fine, it doesn't slip from 1st to 2nd. Just from 2nd to 3rd.

I have not checked the tranny fluid level under the car yet.

I am wondering if this sounds like the tranny has a mechanical problem and will definitely need an overhaul/rebuild or if there is a chance that putting in new tranny fluid and even some anti-slip additive could fix the problem. Thanks
BonesMachine
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Postby atfdmike » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:45 am

Welcome to the Planet!

I don't think too many people here will speculate on your trans problem. You really need to do the fluid level check........the right way is flat level surface, engine running, wheels chocked, trans just starting to warm up, remove the overflow plug (No. 1 in pic) and if no fluid runs out, add trans fluid till it does. Use the right fluid as well. Be careful though...since it is a running vehicle and exhaust is HOT> Since you are down there, take a look at the fluid that is in it now to see if it is burnt or smells bad. Use a small hose or tube to get a little out if none comes out when you remove the plug. See how the fluid looks that is in there now before adding new fluid.
IF it is low, then adding trans fluid is logical and may correct the problem, however, if it does not, after that many miles, you are probably staring a trans rebuild or repair in the face. Not the end of the world but not what any of us automatic owners like to have to do.

There are many knowledgeable people here on the Planet, so keep asking questions, and you should get helpful advice. Use the search function too to learn more.

HTH One guys opinion.
Mike

94 Trooper SE
3.2 L V6 DOHC, Auto w/cooler,Aisins,Poly Sway Bar Bushings, Sway-Away Torsion Bars, Rancho 5000 shocks, Cadillac "A" note dual horns, Retrofit Multimeter, Driver side interior assist handles

"cerca trova"
atfdmike
Zu Royalty

Postby Ramblin Fever » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:24 am

If the original owner never maintained fluid condition/level, etc. it's not surprizing to be running into issues; as mentioned above, check fluid level and condition and report back.

If the fluid's black/brown and smelly, it's probably too late to do any good on current transmission.

If the fluid is low, pump more fluid in while truck IS running; use ONLY Dex III, do NOT use any of the new so-called improved Dex versions.

Keep us posted.

I have your exact same truck, year model and automatic with 197k miles original auto transmission; but I'm the original owner and have changed the fluid every 10-15k miles.
'97 Rodeo 3.2L V6
16x8 MB Wheels; 32x11R16 GY Duratrac M/T
KC Fogs; Brushguard;
Yakima loadwarrior;

Maxlife/K&N

197k strong
Ramblin Fever
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 57 times

Postby BonesMachine » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:38 pm

thanks. the fluid was brown but i don't think it smelled that burnt or weird compared to fresh fluid but this was the first time smelling used fluid. i never got around to checking the fluid level because i didn't have a battery.....somebody offered to buy it so i sold it...thanks for the help.
BonesMachine
Drives on Pavement

Postby Stuffy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:31 am

atfdmike wrote:Welcome to the Planet!

I don't think too many people here will speculate on your trans problem. You really need to do the fluid level check........the right way is flat level surface, engine running, wheels chocked, trans just starting to warm up, remove the overflow plug (No. 1 in pic) and if no fluid runs out, add trans fluid till it does. Use the right fluid as well. Be careful though...since it is a running vehicle and exhaust is HOT> Since you are down there, take a look at the fluid that is in it now to see if it is burnt or smells bad. Use a small hose or tube to get a little out if none comes out when you remove the plug. See how the fluid looks that is in there now before adding new fluid.
IF it is low, then adding trans fluid is logical and may correct the problem, however, if it does not, after that many miles, you are probably staring a trans rebuild or repair in the face. Not the end of the world but not what any of us automatic owners like to have to do.

There are many knowledgeable people here on the Planet, so keep asking questions, and you should get helpful advice. Use the search function too to learn more.

HTH One guys opinion.

Does this info apply to my 93 rodeo as well? (Diagram especially)
93 Rodeo 4x2 3.2L V6 SOHC. Auto.
Stuffy
Loyal P'up

Return to Drivetrain Problems