Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Gen1 Trooper Scoop Shipped UPDATE

7K views 50 replies 14 participants last post by  shooter 
#1 ·
Jacubs shipped the scoop this past Thursday from his home in the Philippine Islands to me in Alabama. I expect receipt later this coming week. Upon receipt, I shall open it for inspection and then mail it to cronk for the reproductions. Here's what I want to run by you guys:

The shipping cost was 169.00 and Jacubs paid it up front. I will reimburse him upon receipt. (I've been corresponding with him regarding the matter and I'm here to tell you he's a super guy and well all owe him a very big thank you.) He refuses to accept any money for the scoop itself or his time. He just wants us to have our scoops so he really stepped up to the plate.

When I give the word soon, based on the shipping cost, I suggest each scoop buyer send me (paypal) 10.00. I feel that's reasonable. If we have 17 folks, I'll break even on the shipping from Jacubs and I'll pay for the shipping to cronk.

If we have more than 17 folks purchase the scoop, any shipping monies beyond 170.00 will be turned over from me to Tad to help support the forum

If we have less than 17 folks, I'll eat the difference.

Best I can remember, cronk was estimating a cost of approx 120.00 per unit. That will be 120.00 per unit plus shipping to your individual address.

Upon completion of this first run of scoops, I suggest cronk hold on to the "real" one for any future repro jobs (if he's willing).

Lastly, I hope cronk will provide the link to work he done with emblems, badges, etc. He's most talented.

I really want feedback on this. Good or bad; doesn't matter. I'm open to suggestions.

thanks,
shooter

For those of you who have yet to get on the order list, please use the following link: http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic ... ight=scoop

The list in no way obligates anyone just yet. We will need to have a hard count for cronk to perform his cost analysis. We current stand at approximately 15 interested, including me and cronk, at this time of posting.

See less See more
#2 ·
Shooter,
That sounds reasonable enough. Count me in. Let me know wat the final plan will be and where to send money. Thanks to you & Cronk for stepping up to help coordinate the scoop project. It's very much appreciated.
Leland

#3 ·
post your paypal account, I'll send you $10 for my shipping contribution.

#4 ·
Thanks ya'll. I'll post my account via pm to each individual after I have inspected the wares and cronk has given the go ahead and finalized his costs. Chris, do you incur some insane additional charge up there? If so, I was wondering if there might be some work around; like some one you could visit in Seattle, etc?

#5 ·
As long as it is mailed NOT UPS then it's okay. UPS is the worst shipping company on the planet, there are class action law suits against them in Canada for their "brokerage" fees.

For me, as long as it's shipped USPS and the claim value is low, the shipping cost is fine. Will probably be around $30 I'd imagine. If a quote comes back as more expensive then I'll have it shipped to a WA member and have to plan an isuzu get together trip to pick it up.

Thanks

#6 ·
If a quote comes back as more expensive then I'll have it shipped to a WA member and have to plan an isuzu get together trip to pick it up.
Let me know if I can help. I live just south of Tacoma.

-C

#7 ·
justwork said:
As long as it is mailed NOT UPS then it's okay. UPS is the worst shipping company on the planet, there are class action law suits against them in Canada for their "brokerage" fees.

For me, as long as it's shipped USPS and the claim value is low, the shipping cost is fine. Will probably be around $30 I'd imagine. If a quote comes back as more expensive then I'll have it shipped to a WA member and have to plan an isuzu get together trip to pick it up.

Thanks
That's too bad. In my area, UPS is king. Additionally, if he sees me at a local store, he'll ask if I want it then or should he take it to my house. If it's something heavy, for example a set of large tires, he knows I leave a personnel entrance unlocked to my shop so he'll stop at the shop, go inside, open up one of the larger doors, leave the item, secure the larger door and leave. Can't beat that. I guess it's a rural thing.

#8 ·
Will this first production run be 'to order' filling only the initial confirmed orders, or a set batch amount that someone will be sitting on & filling straggler orders as they are made (beyond the initial confirmed orders)?
I am very interested, however the cost of getting my trooper running has exceeded my orig est (as projects often do lol).

~psguardian

#9 ·
psguardian said:
Will this first production run be 'to order' filling only the initial confirmed orders, or a set batch amount that someone will be sitting on & filling straggler orders as they are made (beyond the initial confirmed orders)?
I am very interested, however the cost of getting my trooper running has exceeded my orig est (as projects often do lol).

~psguardian
I don't have the answer right now. Glad you raised it. I'm sure it will be addressed quickly. As you probably know, cronk will be performing these repros as time allows. He (I believe) and others will be attending their annual get together at Uwharrie http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=35414. This is 7-11 April 2010. One of my suggestions is for cronk to hold on to the actual scoop for later repros and for instances like yours. This will be up to him. Perhaps he will not need the original though I have no idea how long the mold is good for. Seeing his level of work, I would think he might want to hang on to it just in case the mold starts deteriorating, breaks, etc. But if a new mold needs constructing, there will once again be an incredible upfront cost to him which will be passed on to other/others. I think you'll be ok. We'll make every attempt to see it through. How's that?

#10 ·
shooter said:
psguardian said:

~psguardian
I don't have the answer right now. Glad you raised it. I'm sure it will be addressed quickly. As you probably know, cronk will be performing these repros as time allows. He (I believe) and others will be attending their annual get together at Uwharrie http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=35414. This is 7-11 April 2010. One of my suggestions is for cronk to hold on to the actual scoop for later repros and for instances like yours. This will be up to him. Perhaps he will not need the original though I have no idea how long the mold is good for. Seeing his level of work, I would think he might want to hang on to it just in case the mold starts deteriorating, breaks, etc. But if a new mold needs constructing, there will once again be an incredible upfront cost to him which will be passed on to other/others. I think you'll be ok. We'll make every attempt to see it through. How's that?
:D I know that the 1st run (we can hope its only a 1st hehe) will have some steep costs, such as mold creation & materials.
I will not ask solely for myself, but for myself & others who have not bothered to speak up due to being broke for the foreseeable short-term future.
If a large batch operation is possible, please consider taking that opportunity (& sit on the extras), which will likely lower per unit production costs & increase availability here in the states :wink:
Not to mention that every shipping charge past 17 goes to the site, so in a way its like we all are donating to the forum AND getting a pimp looking scoop!

(still plan on cutting 1 or both back panels between the hood supports & mounting PS & OIL coolers, that added 'under hood' real estate is too precious to leave untouched)

BTW just in-case it hasn't been said enough,
Thanks To Everyone Who Has Helped Make This Avail Here In The States! :salute:

~psguardian

#11 ·
I'll post up my secret project soon. The way I made the molds of it will be done on a larger scale for the scoop. There will be a learning curve on my end but I don't see reproduction taking more than three months depending on my schedule. I'll be doing this in my spare time.

As for actual production, I believe the mold will be pretty resilient and should stand up for a while. I'm guessing it'll be able to produce hundreds so if you don't have the money now, they will still be available. If it doesn't hold up, I'll make a new one on the OEM scoop. As for price, Since I'm not buying in bulk and can not come close to touching the bulk quantities of the material I'll be casting the stuff in. I'll probably be sticking with the price Shooter mentioned. It could fluctuate though so I'll be vague on the price but do my best to stick to the price Shooter mentioned.

Speaking of material options. I envision a hard rubber scoop being the easiest to produce. (It should be the same texture of bushwhacker flairs). From the mold I should also be able to make fiberglass versions. The ultimate version will be in Carbon Fiber!

Again, there is going to be a learning curve in this for me, so do not expect results overnight so please be patient with the process.

Big thanks goes out to Shooter for making this all happen!

Joe

#12 ·
Yea! Big thanks to cronk for taking on this task. This is pretty darn neat. Crazy internet. Brings all together in a homogeneous kind of way. The younger folks have it made. I'll finalize the first run buyers list very soon.

shooter

#15 ·
#16 ·
Cronk, I'm intrigued by the hard rubber version. What is its pluses and minuses compared to fiberglass? What about paintability? What about fitment, warpage, etc? All that kind of stuff. :)

#19 ·
Though I'm pretty much a loner (go figure), this is a pretty close knit group. As our friend Martha would say, "that's a good thing". :D

#21 ·
Cool. And this might just be my opinion, but if it ends up costing you a little more to do it RIGHT and produce a quality product, don't hesitate to let us know. Obviously, I'm not paying $500 for a hood scoop, but if it costs a little more I know I won't have a problem with it. I just want it to look good, and be of good, lasting quality.

Thanks again,

Bart

#22 ·
I appreciate that Bart.

I can assure you though, if I can't get the end product to look right, I won't be sending them out to anyone.

Ordered the material to make the mold today. Also got a trial sample of the hard rubber material to experiment with. I'll cast it into one of the Planetisuzoo molds so I can see what it's like and how it'll behave.

#23 ·
Pardon my ignorance please. On those 9 chunks of fiberglass into which the threaded studs are inserted, will those be solid and through divine intervention, a hand guides us through some precise drilling process?

#25 ·
Yes, they'll be solid. Tapping them shouldn't be a problem. I figure I can do that before I send them out. I was thinking some standard stainless steel screws with washers but those VX thingys look pretty snazzy.

I was also thinking I'd send a tissue paper template for drilling the hood. Otherwise, the other option would be to use 3-M tape.

We can leave this open ended since some may want to cut their hoods for a true functioning scoop.

#26 ·
Yeah, automotive grade double-sided tape probably would work actually, but bolting it down would be preferred.

We have a Fastenal here locally. I will see if I can't find out what those things are called that the VX hood insert uses. iirc, they are either embedded into or epoxied on the bottom of the hood insert somehow.

Bart

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.