Isuzu SUV Forum banner

89' Trooper RS Project

36K views 91 replies 26 participants last post by  Cronk 
#1 ·
Got another project vehicle to work on.

Found it on Craiglist for a song. Does not run though. I'll post up my progress as I get this sucker fixed back up and running.

See less See more
#2 ·
i saw that one but had to go to moab instead. good luck with it joe. if u want to sell that brush guard let mne know

#3 ·
nice little RS, one day I WILL import one from the US. I don't think they ever made it to the great white north.

#4 ·
good luck with it :D

#6 ·
I'm eager to see what direction your going to take this.

#8 ·
Want snowflakes if you part.
I will be selling the snowflakes, you can have first dibs!

If u want to sell that brush guard let me know
If I sell it, you'll be first to know.

I'm eager to see what direction your going to take this.
This is what I have in mind.

I'm starting to compile parts for the build up. It'll be a slow build but you can see that I have a stylized LS look going. That's the idea, keep it stockish in appearance but just a bit off the norm.

Got these off of E-bay.

Probably going to run the 31" Toyos I had on my Rodeo.
They're only 15"x7" but I think they'll do for what I want.

Also found a chrome Valve cover that I'll add after I fix whatever is wrong with the engine.

As far as the engine, I think if there is much question when I tear it down, I'll likely pursue the short block posted on here. Have my spare head checked, add new everything and keep it mostly stock. May add Calmini cam and header.

#10 ·
I want 2nd dibs on the flakes!!! Looking good man, wish you could have wheeled with us at Gorman, I missed ya at Johnson Valley

#11 ·
Let me know a price and I'll see what I can do. Are they pretty true? Need to be resurfuced? Do they balance easily?
Will do, to be honest, I haven't looked that closely at them. I think all but three of them will clean up pretty well. They look to be pretty true, no curb rash or anything that I can see. I'll make you a good deal. Will pm you when they're ready

I want 2nd dibs on the flakes!!! Looking good man, wish you could have wheeled with us at Gorman, I missed ya at Johnson Valley
I'll keep you posted on the wheels but they just won't look right on a Vehicross........Wish I could have done Gorman but I was headed home at that point, I think I parked the Trooper at Scotts place that very weekend. Maybe we can hit Hollister by the end of summer.

#12 ·
Well if I keep the Rodeo they would go on it lol. Ya we should hit something up this Summer, not sure if I could make Hollister, can't take the time off really to make a 16hr trip like that.

#13 ·
Sure you can, just break it up.....
Leave early, stop at Pismo on your way up, play in the sand for the rest of the day, camp, then head on up to Hollister spend a day there camping and wheeling, then do Pismo again on your way back down....... :p

Ok that's like 4 days but it's be fun! Better get it in before the Baby comes!

Who knows, I may tow mine back down south one of these weekends, I'll just need notice.

#14 ·
Oh the baby is here lol. He's almost ten months now. I'll have to figure something out

#15 ·
Oh ten months? Where have I been? Congrats!
In that case, babys that age are pretty low maintenance, pretty much full grown at that point aren't they? Heck, you won't get any grief for leaving mamma home while you go wheel...... Shoot you should be wide open......

#16 ·
Heck, you won't get any grief for leaving mamma home while you go wheel...... Shoot you should be wide open......
Good one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

#17 ·
LOL when I went to Gorman she just told me to take John with me. She enjoyed having a day to herself with no baby around lol. It's just if I can afford to take the time off. I have to take time off for 3 weddings coming up

#19 ·
He wasn't in the truck while wheeling :wink: One of our buddies carried him around in his car seat so he could watch daddy play. He stayed pretty far back. The only time he was in the truck while "wheeling" was when we were going on some of the easy trails. there wasn't anything to flip or get hurt on. You can see him in the background in this pic:

Here's a pic of him, this is when he had to wear his little head shaping helmet

#21 ·
That's what maspquest says it is from san diego, so say 14-15 instead?

#23 ·
really? Fallbrook is only like an hour away or so (little less I think). Mapquest must be WAY off

#25 ·
damn, no I just go on mapquest. I've only live in Cali for like 2 years or so and I don't drive much outta this area unless I am picking up parts lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.