2.6L Cylinder Head Bolts Torque Values Question

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

2.6L Cylinder Head Bolts Torque Values Question

Postby shooter » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:28 pm

My book shows on the final head bolt torque, the final value is 65-79 ft. lbs. Seems kind of vague to me. I'm considering using 70-72. Anyone have a suggested, successfully performed torque value? I would probably max it out if not for the aluminum head.

thanks,
shooter
1989 Isuzu Trooper S/ 4WD / 2.6 Litre 4 Cyl 4ZE1 Converted to Weber 32/36 Carb / 5-speed Manual (MUA5) / Warn Premium Hubs / Fancy Radio / Deluxe Intermittent Combination Wiper Switch

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

Some people are like Slinkies; they are not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
shooter
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 149 times

Sponsor

Postby SurferJoe » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:13 pm

New bolts I would get pretty close to the higher value, but make sure they are going into a clean and rethreaded bosses too. Just run a tap into the holes in the block and make them clean.

I use 90wt gear lube to get an even torque reading. Other things usable are assembly lube, but 90wt is very good.

New or used bolts, make them all the same as the best idea.

Torque wrenches vary from age, make/model and initial quality/price. Use a "clicker" type as they will sound off when you get to the preset value and you don't have to watch a needle point to a vernier and worry about parallax view and inconsistent values.
Joe Vreeland - In The Bitterroot Valley, Montana
SurferJoe
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby shooter » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:48 pm

Thanks Joe. The only large torque wrench I have is a Craftsman clicker type with the numbers displayed through a window near the end of the handle. Seems like a pretty good solid tool though I doubt it would pass professional muster; though I know not why. Got my head back to day and power to my house about an hour ago. Happy camper. :headbang:
1989 Isuzu Trooper S/ 4WD / 2.6 Litre 4 Cyl 4ZE1 Converted to Weber 32/36 Carb / 5-speed Manual (MUA5) / Warn Premium Hubs / Fancy Radio / Deluxe Intermittent Combination Wiper Switch

Some people are like Slinkies; they are not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
shooter
Donor
Donor

Postby dj_rob_e » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:10 pm

shooter that wrench will more than suffice..... you lost power to the house!?!?! u know you HAVE to pay that bill right!?!?!?? it's not like the hospital where they'll keep fixin' ya' even if you don't pay!!!! LoL :lol:
93 Pickup Spacecab: 216k and runnin strong! Some drop... Some stereo... Some aftermarket/some after I got ahold of it market.... it rolls....

97' Honsuzu Passodeo loaded leather etc. 194k and a dead trans.... 4wd, stock drivetrain,Some Stereo baby seat and kool-aid stain on the carpet :lol:

ImageImage
dj_rob_e
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby shooter » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:55 pm

I stupidly stopped paying my bills after the Obama election. I saw so many news stories showing people being interviewed stating their phone bills, utility bills, satellite tv, jewelry, etc would be covered by the government. I thought I would be covered as well. I guess the background check they ran on me showing I worked for a living and took responsibility for my actions nixed that. Damn, why couldn't I have been born a worthless, scum sucking, parasite on society? :lol: Another version might be storms Sunday night/Monday morning wreaked havoc in my area and took my electric away. Even with a full house generator, I whined like a school girl. How pathetic is that? Definitely, a product of this soft society.

shooter
Donor
Donor

Postby isuzufool » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Set that thing to 80 ft-lbs and click away man!
'89 pickup, 2.6L with .040 over pistons, MUA5 tranny, calmini header, custom air intake, 2.5" exhaust, 3" lift, stock axles, 33" regal trailblazers, aussie lockers, 217k miles and counting, 80k on engine
'88 Trooper II LS, 2.6L automatic (still a work in progress)
'05 F-150 crew cab 5.4L V-8 with custom exhaust and SCT Livewire tuner/monitor :-)

CV shafts are made for breaking, right?
isuzufool
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby onetouch » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:15 am

X2.

Chase the threads as mentioned and have at it.

I run them all up to 50 or so, then run them on up to the desired torque setting using the proper sequence both times and then re-check them after a couple hundred miles or so.

Works for me anyway.

Jim
Red-1 89 Trooper, 2.6, 5 speed, bunch of stuff.
Red-2 91 Trooper, 2.8, 5 speed, acquiring stuff.

If you can read this thank a teacher - and if it's in English thank a soldier.
onetouch
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby shooter » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:23 am

I think that's the approach I'll take, though, I'll probably do it in 3 or 4 steps.

thanks,
shooter

shooter
Donor
Donor

Return to Drivetrain Problems