Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Using Seafoam

10K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  ckm05 
#1 ·
I have seen quite a bit of discussion regarding this product, but various ways to use it in the crankcase.

My '02 Rodeo LSE V6 (38K) has an occaisional valve tap, usually after cold starts and does not last more than a minute or two. I thought I might give Seafoam a try if the tap is due to some deposit build up in the crankcase. I change my oil every 3K.

What advice can you all share on using this product. I have read threads with advice on everything from adding it 20 mins before an oil change to adding a 1/2 can and running with it between oil changes. I would not want to leave it in the crankcase too long if it could cause more damage than good.

Most all I have read praises this product. Anyone have any bad experience or cautions?

#3 ·
Thanks for the info...

Did you use Seafoam just before an oil change as a pre oil change cleaning? Or did you leave it in and run the vehicle with seafoam as an additive to the oil?

#9 ·
TampaMike said:
...My '02 Rodeo LSE V6 (38K) has an occaisional valve tap, usually after cold starts and does not last more than a minute or two. I thought I might give Seafoam a try if the tap is due to some deposit build up in the crankcase.
It's really the nature of the beast (1998+ 3.2/3.5). I've tried various oils and oil additives & even tried a heavy-duty 15w-40 motor oil for a short stint. Nothing works long-term. A constant / consistant top end tap would warrant a valve "adjustemt", which amounts to either a bucket or a shim changeout on these engines. There's really nothing to adjust, just replace. A little clickedy-clickedy every now & then is just how they are- it just lets you know she's still runnin'!!
G/luck
Joel

#11 ·
Most Advance Auto and NAPA stores carry Restore. When a retailer does not carry a product I ask them to order it for me. That's what I did at our local Advance Auto with the Seafoam and they now stock it on a regular basis. It's been around a very long time. Ask any old timer in the parts business and I bet they will be familiar with it.

#13 ·
With all this talk about Seafoam, I'm wondering if the company isn't behind a successful viral marketing campaign? I was amazed to see a full endcap full of Seafoam at Autozone, a prominent display near checkout at Advance Auto Parts, and even a few cans at CarQuest. I'm going to start counting Seafoam cans in my sleep!

I have some in the crankcase now, and based on the various opinions, will probably run it for a few hundred miles (once I have the axles, springs, and brakes back together) before changing the oil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.