Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Seafoam

38K views 71 replies 37 participants last post by  Amigo-2k 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Could be....Seafoam is a good product. I do not believe in all the magical "snake oil" that's on the market but Seafoam is one exception. I have had excellent results using it in my gas tank every now and then. Vehicles run MUCH better after using it.

Sounds like you could have had some carbon buildup around your oil rings causing them to stick and not be able to control the oil to the cylinder walls. The Seafoam could have possibly dissolved some of the carbon allowing your rings to do their job a little better, thus the less oil consumption.

#11 ·
sound like the answer we all been waiting for!
abit confusing though in how to use it...
you can either:
1- Used Thru Injection or Carburetor
2- Add to Crankcase (Oil)
3- Add to fuel tank
4- Add to fuel injector cleaning machine

Talk about Versatility!
I guess for our application we its number 2 - pour it in with the motor oil?
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

#13 ·
Are you possibly confusing 4 cycle with 4 cyclinder? I'm not a mechanical wizard, but I'm not familar with a 6 cycle motor?

Seafoam is safe in 6 cyclinder motors as well. I have used it on both of my Troopers with good results.

#14 ·
93RS said:
Are you possibly confusing 4 cycle with 4 cyclinder? I'm not a mechanical wizard, but I'm not familar with a 6 cycle motor?

Seafoam is safe in 6 cyclinder motors as well. I have used it on both of my Troopers with good results.
Yeah,, I am confusing them both,, opps,, my bad. Goes to show how much mechanicial skills I have..... :oops:

#18 ·
hey guys

from my previous post the Seafoam is abit too versatile, you can use it in such ways as:

1- Used Thru Injection or Carburetor
2- Add to Crankcase (Oil)
3- Add to fuel tank
4- Add to fuel injector cleaning machine

so in our application we want to clean out carbon buildup from our engine's inside so it dont burn oil... i guess we pour the seafoam in with the motor oil and leave it in there until the next oil change? i'm thinking the next time i go for an oil change i will get a bottle and pour it in with the change and get rid of it during the following oil change? is that how it works?

#20 ·
Seafoam is one of the few "snake oil" type products I've found that works as claimed, if not better. I've used it mostly in the spray form (aka DeepCreep) as a carb cleaner. Drown out the motor with it from the carb, let it sit 15-30 minutes, start up and watch the carbon buildup in the comb chamber come out the pipe. It also worked when nothing else would to free up a sticky valve on an old Wisconsin 2 cylinder motor that had been sitting in the rain on an old baler for years. A few shots of it down the intake, turned the motor over a bit, came back to it later that day and it started right up. Keep in mind the starter on this sucker consists of a pair of human arms turning a fairly small wheel. ;)

From the stuff I've heard on the oil consumption and valve tick issues in 3.2/3.5L isuzu motors, seafoam in the oil clears the gunk out of the lifters so they don't click and clears the oil ports on the oil rings. Clogged oil ports means the oil that needs to run back down into the motor as the piston moves can only go up and past the compression rings, then out the tailpipe.

Carquest and Napa have it around here, have not seen it in Checker/Shucks/Kragen stores. They also make a transmission version of the stuff, never used it before but I bet it would be great as a cleaner on a trans that has been sitting for years.

#21 ·
Carquest in Canada has the exclusive rights to seafoam in Canada for 1 year. They just came into Canada 3 to 4 months ago. The guy at Carquest said that I should change my oil right after I use my very first ever can of seafoam in the crankcase. He said that you don't know how much build up and gunk it will remove the first time. This gunk will plug your oil filter and possibly blow your motor.
Does this sound right? I just changed my synthetic oil and have about 6000 kms before my next change. I want to try this stuff out now.

John

#23 ·
NYCoffroading said:
i guess we pour the seafoam in with the motor oil and leave it in there until the next oil change? i'm thinking the next time i go for an oil change i will get a bottle and pour it in with the change and get rid of it during the following oil change? is that how it works?
DO NOT DO THIS!

Seafoam thins your oil to a gasoline-like consistancy. You need to change your oil within 15-25 minutes of adding seafoam. Just add it to the crankcase, run the engine for a while (at varrying RPM's), then change the oil.

#24 ·
I have a '99 Trooper with the performance package that uses more than a quart of oil every 500 miles. I have been reading a lot about a lack of drainback holes on the piston rings, and the effercts of "gunk" on those holes, which Seafoam is supposed to cure.

However, I have read several postings from people (who seem to know what they are talking about) that indicate that you can just use Seafoam as an additive, and drive around with it in your crankcase 24/7.

But according to the posting I quoted below that is a really bad idea. Another posting I read said that the Seafoam might clear out so much "gunk" that it could block the oil filter completely.

I'm confused. Can someone clarify this whole issue for me, please? Thanks.

thejunker said:
NYCoffroading said:
i guess we pour the seafoam in with the motor oil and leave it in there until the next oil change? i'm thinking the next time i go for an oil change i will get a bottle and pour it in with the change and get rid of it during the following oil change? is that how it works?
DO NOT DO THIS!

Seafoam thins your oil to a gasoline-like consistancy. You need to change your oil within 15-25 minutes of adding seafoam. Just add it to the crankcase, run the engine for a while (at varrying RPM's), then change the oil.

#25 ·
See #3 on this page:

http://seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTech.htm

Use 1 pint of SEA FOAM to every 4 gallons of oil to clean rings and other engine parts internally. For best results, use SEA FOAM for 1 hour before oil change. Results in cleaner engines and longer oil change intervals.
Anyone who has ever used this stuff in their crankcase will agree that when you drain the oil, it is extremely thin and EXTREMELY black. I personally do not want this carbon slush in my engine for very long. And yes, if your engine is very dirty, you could potentially fill the oil filter to its capacity.

With that said, I cannot give you any scientific proof that leaving seafoam in as an additive would hurt your engine, but it is my personal desire not to leave it in due to its extreme cleansing properties. Plus it stinks.

I know there is an additive called AutoRx that does the same thing as seafoam, but is intended to work over a longer time interval.

Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com for more info on both seafoam and AutoRx (forums).

--pm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.