Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Monroe Sensa-Tracs for 1998+ Rodeo's..

18K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  Amigo-2k 
#1 ·
Just put a full set of monroe sensa-tracs on my 2002 rodeo. What a HUGE improvement in ride quality. They are not overly stiff, but the truck takes bumps MUCH more solidly now, doesn't float & doesn't nose-dive when braking hard. The sensa-tracs are a good ½ bigger in diameter than the factory shocks & feel like they weigh twice as much. Got a great deal on them from shocks from A-1shocks.com out of Texas. Total came to $127.80, which includes $12 for shipping, but after the rebate, all four only cost $99.85 out the door.
Front: p/n 37159 $29.95ea
Rear: p/n 37160 $27.95ea
1998 & up rodeo's are all the same part # (most part catalogs only go to 2000).
The rebate is good until October 31, 2003. Basically, you buy three & get the fourth (lowest $ shock) free. Four for less than $100 including shipping is a sweet deal. My local car parts stores wanted around $150-175 for the same shocks! :roll: ! It took me about 1.5hrs to install them. That's all you need is a 14mm & 17mm wrenches for the shock bolts & a small crescent wrench to hold the top shock studs still so you can remove the top 14mm nuts. A ratcheting box end wrench definitely makes it easier to get those top mount nuts off, Just slip it over the nut & ratchet away while you hold the notched end of the stud with the crescent wrench. It takes a little finesse to get at the tops of the rear shocks, but it's not too bad. I found it easier to jack up the corner you are working on, to give you more clearance to move around under the truck. They fit perfectly & I didn't even have to use the mother of all swear words!! (too much anyway :oops: )

G/luck
Joel

See less See more
#6 ·
Yep. I had the same thing. The guy wanted vehicle make/model/year- I kinda knew where that would lead :roll: , since shock catalogs for rodeos dont go past 2000 for some reason, so I said I have the shock part #'s. (got'em off the monroe.com website) When I gave him the part #'s, the guy said "Ahhh, these are for an isuzu.." You wont find shock part #'s for a 1998-2003 rodeo sports on the monroe site, but they are the same as the rodeo. G/luck!
Joel

#9 ·
Just an update,
Received the shocks today at 12:00, had them on at 1:00 pm. Piece-of-cake install. I just cut off the plastic cover and held the upper shaft with a pair of pliers.
Really noticed a big difference in ride quality, more firm, and handles like it should. The shocks I replaced had 35000 miles on them and were worn out. It was money WELL spent. I'd recommend them to everybody.
Thanks again Joel for the info.
Later.... :D Randy

#10 ·
Just an update,
Received the shocks today at 12:00, had them on at 1:00 pm. Piece-of-cake install. I just cut off the plastic cover and held the upper shaft with a pair of pliers.
Really noticed a big difference in ride quality, more firm, and handles like it should. The shocks I replaced had 35000 miles on them and were worn out. It was money WELL spent. I'd recommend them to everybody.
Thanks again Joel for the info.
Later.... :D Randy

#11 ·
Glad it worked out well for you! The stock front shocks were already starting to weep oil on mine & it's a 2002 w/ 15Kmi ! The quality of the stock shocks is par w/ the $10 cheapies you can get at auto parts stores. Definately wanna change'em after a year or so. G/luck
Joel

#14 ·
I'm looking to replace the shocks on my 95' 1st gen passport. I've got a 3" calmini lift with the calmini shocks. The lift was done before I got the truck, probably about 5 years and 60,000 miles ago. The ride is horribly stiff. I was thinking about the monroes, and based on your review I will probably go with them. My questions is will the replacements for the factory shocks fit my lifted vehicle, or do I need something different?
Thanks

#16 ·
Just had them installed on my 99 Rodeo. The old stock ones were completely busted. Rides a lot better.

Trying to get the front ones in was really painful for me... I ended up wrapping a telephone line around the shock so that it will stay compressed while I fit it back in. Finally got it done but it took a lot longer than I thought.

One thing I'm wondering is how you guys put the right torque on the upper nuts (above the rubber bushing). My bit basically was too short and the bolt was pushing my socket out, so I couldn't use my torque wrench. I simply tightened it until the rubber bushings were about half as thick... Does that sound alright? I also noticed a sound (almost sounded like tire skidding) on the front drivers side that wasn't there... Is this related to the new shock?

#19 ·
Funny didnt notice that. I put the Procomp ES9000 for the trooper on my 2nd Gen Rodeo. Only required a few modifications to the front bushings and sleave. It rides the best it ever has. I would reccomend this to anyone. Amazing. No more hard hits, tail wagging, or brake dive.

#20 ·
price gone up , about $45 for one now... hope it is 2003 now.. gas price and the parts price..

#22 ·
Just ordered a set for my '98 Rodeo. I don't know how many miles I've got on my current shocks, but they're annoyingly bouncy at times, got about 203k on my odometer currently :p

Will post the results once they come in... can't wait!

LoL, I know kids younger than this thread!!!

#23 ·
Wow... so I started at 6pm, and finished at midnight. The damn nut on the sway bar bushins on the drivers side wouldn't come off, and got completely stripped :x . I ended up having to strong arm the shock to get it in. The rest of the shocks were pretty straight forward, and as it turns out, the rear passenger side was completely blown... all kinds of oil/gunk coming out. The results? I still feel like I'm driving a truck, but one with a much smoother suspension. Driving over rough pavement no longer makes the cab rattle like it tin can.

I emailed the previous owner about maintenance stuff. He said the last time he put in new shocks was January of '08. How long, or how many miles do shocks typically last for?

#25 ·
How long, or how many miles do shocks typically last for?[/quote]

Well, 2 years ago when I replaced the shocks in my 86 after the mount on one of the broke they were the factory originals..

Sooo...

Depends on how ya use 'em. Mine were 23 years old with well over 200k miles on them at the time, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.