Trooper multi-meter install how-to

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

Trooper multi-meter install how-to

Postby kingbentley82 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:02 pm

Hey guys, this is my first atempt at a how-to, so I hope it comes out ok. I was pretty bored this week and decided to take a crack at installing a feature not available to lower-end model trooper.

DO THE FOLLOWING AT YOUR OWN RISK. I CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE OR INJURIES INCURRED FROM THE FOLLOWING.

First off, I would recomend pulling the required peices off a donor vehicle from a junk yard if you can find one, dealership prices can be pretty outrageous. Any 94+ Troopers with the extra crap on it should work. Mine came out of an Acura SLX.

By kingbentley, shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT at 2007-12-22

You'll need the unit itself (and the mounting hardware), the pigtail for the unit, the temperature sending unit, and it's pigtail. The temperature sending unit is located behind the grill on the upper right hand corner of the oil cooling unit.

Due to the fact that your vehicle didn't come with this accessory, the mounting brackets need to be slightly modified.

Use a dremel (or other means) to cut off all 4 of the tabs on the mounting brackets.

Once you've done this, you need to measure and figure out exactly where you want to mount it. This isn't difficult but you want everything to look factory, so you want to be careful.

Also, the holes that your going to use on the mounting brackets are the ones at the bottom. The screws that go into it are a bit to small, so you'll want to use a good drill push them in with.

After your happy with the mounting location, you'll want to pull the unit back off and figure out where your wire harness is going to come through. You'll want to measure this too. Mine is just a bit too far to the right, it's not that bad though, you can only barely see it with the unit on.

Next, you'll want to build your wire harness. I recommend using a different color wire for each wire. Make sure and write them down if your going to wrap it in electrical tape. I also recommend using speaker wire for the temp sensor since it's already stuck together, it makes for an easier and nicer look.

Isuzu color code
pink/green --- temp sensor
pink/blue ----- temp sensor
orange/green- 12V acc on
black ---------- ground
green/red ----- interior light (turn on)

everything except the temp sensor wires can be tapped into behind the radio. The other two need to be ran through the fire wall. Also, it's more cumbersome, but if you take an entire 30ft run of cable and run all 5 cables at that length, you'll be able to cut the wires off at exaclty the length you'll need.

After the harness is made, run it to the right and then down the A-frame.

If your using an extended length of cable, take the ends of each wire, wrap them together using electrical tape, and then run them all at the same time, down and over to the stereo. I say to tap into the stereo because the stereo and the multi-meter are both on the same fuse in the original factory specs. Before you get to the radio though, you'll want to take the wires for the temp sensor and put them off to the side.

For all who don't have an aftermarket stereo, the wires that come from the multi-meter, should be the same color as the corrisponding cables that you need to splice into behind the radio. I do recommend using a grounding point for the ground since isuzu has multiple wires that color behind the radio.

Once the the cables are spliced, run the temp sensor wires through the fire wall and up to the oil cooling unit. You'll want to pull the top of the grill off so that you can reach the mounting location. To pull the grill off, you 'll want to push up on the lock tabs that hold the grill on.

Mount the temp sensor, measure the remaining cable and spice on the other pigtail. Plug everything in and remount the mulit-meter. Make sure everything is put back on and it should work. You can also do peridoc tests before everything is back together. And thats it. Enjoy.

Oh, as a side note, if the mult-meter is dirty, you can use 1000 grit auto finishing sand paper and sand the plastic. It should leave a nice finish and take the dirt off with it. You can also take it apart and clean the inside of the viewing window if you need too, just don't lose the switches.
kingbentley82
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Return to General Isuzu Discussion