2000 Trooper Engine seized. New Technical bulletin / advice

Discuss anything related to drivetrain problems here (Engine, Transmission, etc)

Moderator: Staff

2000 Trooper Engine seized. New Technical bulletin / advice

Postby daveTrooper » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Hi,

I'm desperately trying to find source material for my BBB arbitration hearing against Isuzu. Specifically, IB00-01-5002 or any other bulletins that address extremely high oil usage and seizing engines. Can anyone provide me with copies or tell me where to buy them. I'm not 100% sure about the number.

Please reply to csharpuser@hotmail.com

Briefly, my story is this. The engine completely seized up on the freeway. No "check engine" or oil light ever came on. Isuzu is refusing to make the warranty repair (I have the 120K/10 yr and it has 87K) as they say the cause was very low oil (1 1/2 qts) in engine. I didn't witness them drain the pan but I can say that I have receipts showing it was changed 4100 miles ago AND I check it every 2 weeks. I have found a ton of posts stating that troopers can burn through oil extremely quickly but I can imagine already that Isuzu is going to say, "ah, that's just heresay from disgruntled customers". Something official would really bolster my case. For what it's worth, the whole problem is reported on wikipedia.

Basically I want Isuzu to buy back the vehicle or repair it and compensate me for the time they have delayed the repair (1 1/2 months and counting). We'll see what happens and I'd be happy to keep people posted. I've been really disappointed with their service and attitude and would be happy to help anyone else out.

I would be most grateful for any links or copies of technical bulletins and/or advice for my hearing.

Sincerely,

Dave

By the way, I found out about these forums from Ryan's FAQ at
http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/ which has a ton of useful info on Troopers.
If I'd read his FAQ previously, I might have been able to prevent this (search for seafoam on his FAQ).
Dave
daveTrooper
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Postby bendorfold » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:57 am

It's IB00-01-S002 not 5

Link that mentions a superseded SB IB04-01-S002 4th post down
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct ... f0e0cff/73
atfdmike's link doesn't seem to work

Another: Piston rings for "affected vehicles"

"Use it up. Wear it out. Make it do. Or do without." War Advertising Council: May, 1944

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." - maxim

mine - 1989 Trooper, 2.6L, 5-spd Manual, 170,742 miles, Stock - SOLD
my son - 1992 Trooper, Auto, DOHC, 225,000 miles (362,102 km), Stock -Still Good
mine - 1996 Trooper, 5-spd Manual, SOHC, 163,849 miles, Aisin Manual Hubs - Totaled
Isuzu mechanic during 1988-1992 Model Years
bendorfold
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby Amigo-2k » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:09 am

Amigo-2k
Forum Admin

Have thanks: 2 times

Thanks!

Postby daveTrooper » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:07 pm

Thanks! I'll keep you posted on how it goes at the BBB arbitration hearing. Frankly, given the amount of records I have (including oil changes at regular intervals) and checking the oil, I don't think Isuzu has a case. But then I'm biased :).

I suspect it will come down to who the judge believes. Isuzu will probably state that I must not have checked the oil.

Dave
Dave
daveTrooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby johanson » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:40 pm

I bought my 98 Trooper about 2 years ago. Previously I had a 92 and a 94 LS (mrsp $36,000!) with the 3.2, so never had a concern about the motor on the 98 - until I started visiting this forum. Now I check the oil level everytime I drive. Anywhere.
1998 Trooper S 5sp Rancho 5000, Surco Safari Rack, Tint
johanson
Drives in Mud

Postby slurpeemcnacho » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Different problem, same response from dealer and Isuzu.

I have a horrible knocking sound from my 2004 3.5L DI motor. Isuzu and the dealer say it's "normal". I have no recourse.

My question to them is: "How do I sell this vehicle to anyone when it sounds like this?"

They don't care!!!!!
"Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink ;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink."

'94 Isuzu P/U 3.1L - SOLD!!!
Currently Isuzuless.....
slurpeemcnacho
Trail Master

Postby tomster » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:47 pm

Good luck with your case.

I personally don't think you have much chance of collecting. Isuzu will not likely say that oil consumption is "heresay". Instead they will agree with you that it is real. They will also add that since you know about it that is all the more reason for you to check your oil level as frequently as every gas fillup. In fact Isuzu, like almost all manufacturers nowadays, will say that oil consumption of 1qt/1kmis is normal. That jibes almost perfectly with your oil change timing and how much oil was left in the engine. Now how can you prove that you checked it two weeks, or less, before the engine went?

Yes, oil consumption can dramatically increase such that if you believe other posters you can lose an engine in under 1000mis since checking the level.
But again, how do you prove that in court AND that you don't have to check the level frequently enough to catch the problem?

I can recollect only 1 person that said they saw a low oil pressure light come on. Even then that happened just as the engine let go. Certainly no one ever reported a CEL as there is not one for low oil.

As for the TSB, again things change all the time. I don't think this will help you in court. Now if there were a recall notice where Isuzu promised to fix a known problem in order to prevent engine destruction, that would be great evidence.

Sorry for your loss. Still though the vast majority of Isuzus have very manageable levels of oil consumption and long lasting engines. Again I am not saying you don't have a reason to be very upset for how your situation turned out. However, knowing you have a problem and proving it is Isuzu's fault are I suspect two very different things.

Bottom line, as you now know, and for others who don't want to end up in a similar situation, if you burn oil you have to check your level at every gas fillup. You can also do many things to try and stop the burning (e.g. use Rotella, don't stretch oil change intervals, try a Seafoam type cleaner, keep the EGR and return tubing clean, clean the PCV, etc. (search for the details).
tomster
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 4 times

I won! 2000 Trooper Engine seized. New Technical bulletin /

Postby daveTrooper » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks for all the help from everyone. I had my day at the BBB and won.
The decision was that Isuzu has to replace the engine at their expense.

For what it's worth, it was an interesting process and I learned a lot. It really came down to me having all repair records (epecially oil changes) and making the argument that, if I were the type of person that never checked the oil, the engine would have seized long ago. That and the fact that my other cars all have well over 100,000 on them.

Interestingly, I don't believe that all the internet reports (including the National Hiighway Transportation Safety Board and this board) helped. The Isuzu rep immediately challenged them stating that "anyone can write anything on the internet". What might have helped was Isuzu's own service bulletin about excessive oil usage. Even though someone on this post was nice enough to post it (Thanks!), I went ahead and bought it from AllData.com and presented it. I'm glad I did.

Now, I just have 2 minor probems I need to gather more data on and then fix. I've had the Trooper back for about 2-3 days. On the 2nd day on the way back from work, it died at a red light. It started right up again. It was almost like it was idling too low. (Anyone know what RPM they should idle at?). That was on Friday. I drove it all Saturday and Sunday trying to duplicated it but could not. I'm hesitant to take it in when the problem can't be duplicated.

The other problem (which came before the engine seizing) is a slight noise or rattle when in Low gear. The Isuzu dealership was nice enough to diagnos this as a loose plate in the muffler. I thought it was going to be transmission related but apparently it's a loose plate and happens only in low due to higher torque. They said it will become more pronounced with time and cost approximately $900 to fix. (all new muffler assembly)
So, I'll search these forums and elsewhere and see what my option are (including fixing it myself).

Thanks again everyone.
Dave
daveTrooper
Drives on Pavement

Postby BigSwede » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:07 am

Congrats on the victory. 8)

The exhaust rattle is usually a loose heat shield at the cats, make sure yours are tight.

The idle thing could possibly be a vacuum leak if they didn't get all the hoses hooked up right, a distinct possibility.
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper, sliders, Optima yellow top, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Comet SS-680SB 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II antenna, generic 8" driving lights, even more generic fog lights, and Dave's custom 1" shifter extension

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 143 times

Postby tomster » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:16 am

Boy was I wrong. Glad to hear you won.
tomster
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby ezlivin11 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:28 am

score one for the little guys Congrats :D
2K Rodeo
OME 913's
Indy HD Torsion Bars
Rancho 9k Adj.
265/75/16
Jasper's Reman Auto trans
Alpine, Rockford, and Boston
ezlivin11
Trail Master

Re: I won! 2000 Trooper Engine seized. New Technical bulleti

Postby trooperbc » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:47 pm

congratulations !
daveTrooper wrote:....Now, I just have 2 minor probems I need to gather more data on and then fix. I've had the Trooper back for about 2-3 days. On the 2nd day on the way back from work, it died at a red light. It started right up again. It was almost like it was idling too low. (Anyone know what RPM they should idle at?). That was on Friday. I drove it all Saturday and Sunday trying to duplicated it but could not. I'm hesitant to take it in when the problem can't be duplicated.
i understand your hesitation, but as you know, it will be helpful to get this on the record asap, just in case. it could be as simple as a vacuum leak, it could be as simple as the computer learning the settings for the IAC motor with or without a vacuum leak. but it could be a problem (including the vacuum leak, that the computer is masking with driveability changes but not correcting the underlying problem. i'd get it written up.

i take it that the rattle isn't an engine rattle ?

They said it will become more pronounced with time and cost approximately $900 to fix. (all new muffler assembly)
just go to a couple of local muffler shops. you can get replacements from cheap to not so cheap with better materials as you go up. isuzu muffler components seem to last forever, but they are way too expensive as replacements imo.

//bc
1992 trooper 3.2L sohc automatic . . . as is
trooperbc
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby isuzufool » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:32 pm

Wow, that's amazing that you won. I would definately get the muffler looked at by an indipendent shop or even a meinake type place. The engine stalling, on the other hand, I agree with trooperbc even though it will probably cost you.
'89 pickup, 2.6L with .040 over pistons, MUA5 tranny, calmini header, custom air intake, 2.5" exhaust, 3" lift, stock axles, 33" regal trailblazers, aussie lockers, 217k miles and counting, 80k on engine
'88 Trooper II LS, 2.6L automatic (still a work in progress)
'05 F-150 crew cab 5.4L V-8

CV shafts are made for breaking, right? Image
isuzufool
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby timrkopi » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:24 pm

Remeber you have a stainless steel exhaust system. It aint going
to be cheep to fix. Thing is though, it should last forever. I do not
think your cats have heat shields, or at least typical heat shields.
2002 Rodeo Sport, 3.2 V6, 4WD, Auto, Hard Top, OME 912, Rancho RS99000 9 position shocks, 2" lift, heated leather, 265/70 Geolanders. EBC Green Stuff w/ slotted rotors. 6.5" Infinity Kappa in front/ 6.5" Polk dbx in back.
50 Series Deltaflow (too loud)
timrkopi
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Amigo-2k » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:59 pm

There are a bunch of little heat shields that are welded on. I had a weld break on and it made a heck of a buzzing sound from 30-40 MPH.
Amigo-2k
Forum Admin

Postby spoon059 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:14 pm

I had an annoying buzz on my old Ford pickup, turns out it was a loose heat shield in the exhaust. I was young and broke back them, so all I did was take a pair of pliers and bend the heat shield back so it didn' vibrate against the broken weld. The heat shield was still in place and protecting what it was designed to protect, but didn't buzz anymore. Simple solution.
2002 Rodeo LS 4X4 with 3.2L
245/70 16 General Grabber AT2
Curt class III/IV tow hitch
spoon059
Has a Trail Truck

Postby trooperbc » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:06 pm

Amigo-2k wrote:....made a heck of a buzzing ...

spoon059 wrote:I had an annoying buzz on my old Ford pickup,....

my buzz was quite pleasant, as i remember anyway.

//bc
trooperbc
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby squatch » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:50 pm

Dave I've been through this kinda crap with my last 3 new trucks. The 2nd one was my 2000 trooper same issue burning qt every 800 miles at 65k. The dealer had already replaced 2 egrs and charged me $300 a pop for the service( I had same warrenty). I went in for an oil consumption test the dealer added and extra qt. I didn't check the oil before I left the dealer becuase it was raining. When I got home I checked it and called them they got all hot and started spouting about how I tried to sabotage the test yada yada. On my last lemon that was in the shop for 4 months straight with no repairs I got smart. I callled these folks. http://www.lemonlaw.com/index-noflash.htm
2 monthes later I was turning my POS in for a check! These kind of lawyers already have buyback programs set up with the manufacturers for the commonly known problems that qualify. Read their site. Everything they say in there is exactly the way I've been handled in the past. BBB is a bunch of BS! Hope this helps!
EDIT::DUH, I obviously skipped past the important parts when I wrote this. I'm astounded that you won. I've never had any luck with that route even with good records. Cool Beans!
Last edited by squatch on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be an American! Be independant! Vote Independant! A vote for a Democrat, Republican, or incumbant is a wasted vote!
These links have write-ups and pics of most anything you ever will do on a 2.6 Isuzu. Engine, brakes, suspension, interior, you name it! Enjoy!
Original '88 Trooper frame off build.
viewtopic.php?t=12172
The continuing Trooper project.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43909
My '88 Spacecab build. In progress.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56442
squatch
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 188 times

Postby trooperbc » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:25 pm

timrkopi wrote:Remeber you have a stainless steel exhaust system. It aint going
to be cheep to fix. Thing is though, it should last forever. .....
yes that is why they last so long, and why dealer replacement parts are so outrageously expensive....BUT there is no need or requirement to replace with stainless, and unless you will definitely keep the truck for the same period of time you have just driven, i'm thinking giving that money to the junkyard isn't cost effective.

//bc
trooperbc
Almost Joe Isuzu

UPDATE on replaced engine

Postby daveTrooper » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:58 pm

My apologies, I posted this on the wrong thread. For all those who gave advice or have been following and are still interested, here's an update.
I would add to the below that I think I'll go for it and get the repairs although I'm getting no end of grief from the wife complaining that this Trooper is a lemon and there's no end of problem. [Given that the Transmission and Engine have both been replaced and all the other problems, I suppose I can't put her compaints down as irrational :)]

I was also told that cleaning the throttle body, egr, fuel injection etc would normally be part of a engine replacement. I suspect Isuzu figued that it's a free replacement so they could skip that part.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So for those of you interested in the engine replacement saga.... Here's an update. Engine was replaced and as I said I noticed a few problems. These were:
1. Rattling in low gear
2. Dying at stops.
3. Not able to start car.

Isuzu paid for the diagnostic of these problems. The dealers says the problems are:
1. Loose plate in muffler. Solution: replace entire muffler at around $700.
2. Dies because Throttle Body, Fuel Injection, EGR Porting and EGR Valve are dirty and need to be cleaned. Cost: $210
3. Vehicle needs new Starter Motor. Cost $672

It's #3 that I'm somewhat concerned about and was hoping to fact check. Should it really take 3 hours of professional mechanic time to replace? Is there a lot of stuff in way? I remember it being a cinch on a toyota truck, but that's a whole different beast. It seems very coincidental that it starts acting up right after an engine change. Are there obvious cables to test for connection? Is 87K a reasonable amount of mileage for the Trooper starter motor?

On #1, I still need to get under the car and see if I can see an obvious problem. Some of you suggested "heat shield". Thanks. The dealer didn't specify anything more than "loose plate" and "replace entire muffler assembly".

Thanks.
Drives on Pavement

Re: UPDATE on replaced engine

Postby trooperbc » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:31 am

thanks for the updates...

daveTrooper wrote:...It's #3 that I'm somewhat concerned about and was hoping to fact check. Should it really take 3 hours of professional mechanic time to replace? Is there a lot of stuff in way? I remember it being a cinch on a toyota truck, but that's a whole different beast. It seems very coincidental that it starts acting up right after an engine change. Are there obvious cables to test for connection? Is 87K a reasonable amount of mileage for the Trooper starter motor?

it won' t take them 3 hours, it's not unlikely it will take you 3 hours. the problem is the exhaust usually has to be partially dropped to do it.
but as far as their 3 hours, if that's their flat rate that's their flat rate.

you can do it yourself, and get a quality remanufactured by bosch starter for lots less (but not cheap) than what you will pay at the dealer. 87000 miles reasonable? depends on how many starts, i suppose. it's not unreasonable, and is easily checked, and it just sounds like one of those common improbable coincidences that accompany car work sometimes.

cables to test? the ones you see, namely the big fat one feeding it the juice.

most things are going to be cheaper to do yourself, or by a quality independent mechanic as long as you,they use quality parts. the $210 for all that work on #2 seems more than reasonable to me if all that is well done.

//bc
trooperbc
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Ramblin Fever » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:44 am

My starter lasted 150k miles, and I'm still on my original exhaust after 11yrs and 183k miles.

Although I do have holes creeping up in my muffler......

It's too bad you've had so many issues.

I remember when Rodeo's first came out YEARS ago, we had bought one of the very first released ones.....total peice of crap, it was in the shop more then at the house.

The dealer offered a full refund on purchase price without us having to pursue legal action, we took the offer and exchanged the truck for a later '91 model year Rodeo XS, rather then the stripped out S model of the previous truck.

With the '91 XS they also threw in the option of a customized paint job cause we were not very happy with the feel of the paint that was on the truck. Owned that truck for over 12 happy years.....they did right by us and went back for a 3rd Rodeo that we still have to this day.

It's a shame they gave you so much headache!
'97 Rodeo 3.2L V6
16x8 MB Wheels; 32x11R16 GY Duratrac M/T
KC Fogs; Brushguard;
Yakima loadwarrior;

Maxlife/K&N

197k strong
Ramblin Fever
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 54 times

Postby Amigo-2k » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:09 am

1. Loose plate in muffler. Solution: replace entire muffler at around $700.

take it to an exhaust shop and have an aftermart muffler installed for less then 200 bucks. The OEM is huge, heavy and restrictive.

2. Dies because Throttle Body, Fuel Injection, EGR Porting and EGR Valve are dirty and need to be cleaned. Cost: $210

In under 30 minutes and 5 bucks for a can of O2 safe carb cleaner you can do it yourself.

3. Vehicle needs new Starter Motor. Cost $672

The exhaust is in the way, or they unbolt the engine and lift it up. A dealer that has done it before can do it in under 1.5 hours. I would shop around for another shop and buy your own part and bring it in.
Amigo-2k
Forum Admin

Return to Drivetrain Problems