Isuzu SUV Forum banner

1996 rodeo best way to increase mileage

915 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Kable 
#1 ·
Hello guys, I have a 1996 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 3.2l v6 5-speed manual. I just got a new job that is pretty faraway and I don't have money for a new car. I average 16 or 17 mpg mixed driving, I can get up to 22 mpg on longer highway drives at around 60-65 mph, and was wondering whether there is a easy lower ratio rear swap to increase my mileage. I'm not sure what gears are currently in the truck, what's the easiest way to figure it out? Also what else would be a good way to save gas?
I currently have an intake that I pulled off of a passport, just did full tune up, and the truck has a coil on plug setup.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
What do you have

Drive Flanges or Auto/Manual hubs?

Run a lighter weight synthetic oil
Stop running 50/50 coolant and switch to something Thinner
Switch to Synthetic Atf in the power steering
Convert the Manual Clutch Fan to an Electric Fan

Or buy a Prius

#3 ·
How would I know whether I have flanges or hubs?
I currently run 5w-30 full synthetic.
With the coolant, what would you recommend since winter is coming up?
I've been looking on the forums for a clutch to electric fan conversion, can't find any threads, but is it a straight forward process?
And I don't even have power steering currently, it is hell to drive, but my high pressure hose blew out. Is it a complex fix to replace those hoses?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.