Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Rodeo 3.2 Engine Problem

19K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Med!c 
#1 ·
So, I decided it was time for an oil change. I used a Bosche premium oil filter and some chrevon oil. Everything worked smoothly until I went on a short drive. I put it in drive and started to go but then when i hit the gas, it wasnt running smoothly, like the transmission was bad. It idles fine but it drives like theres no gas. No clue what the problem could be. It only happened after the change. My question is how many quarts of oil does the 3.2 take? I put in 4 but i checked the manual and it says 5. Could this be the problem? Please help.

#2 ·
my 3.2L takes 5.7 qts with an oil/filter combo; I generally throw 6qts even in; mine is a 97 sohc engine though.

I think the newer 3.2L dohc engines take slightly less oil; however I DO know 4qts is offly low for the V6 in general.

When you say it drives like there's no gas; are you saying it's sitting there *revving*, but not moving? Not sure what you mean exactly.

Are you 100% SURE you drained the engine oil and not the transmission oil???? It's VERY easy to make this mistake; but do NOT continue to run the engine if you made this mistake.

#3 ·
I will check the oil again tomorrow, it will start to move but when i start giving it gas it seems like the transmission is horribly wrong and isnt doing its job right. Seems like the gear isnt engaging right, and it revs and slows down. Pretty sure it was the engine oil, it was black, but im sure if i emptied the trans mission fluid instead the engine wouldnt take the oil.

#4 ·
Oh the engine WILL take the oil, there's nothing stopping that....but it will spit it out through all the gaskets/seals.

not sure what to tell you; but it sounds to me like your transmission is failing; but it also sounds like you could've accidently dumped the wrong fluid.

Transmission fluid could turn black if left in long enough; your engine oil nor your transmission oil should be *black* at the time of changing it out. If either are turning *black*, they've been left in too long.

Can you take a picture of the drain pan you pulled the fluid from, I can tell you in a heartbeat which one it is.

Not trying to make you feel like an idiot, just trying to help you....I've made this same mistake on my Tacoma soon after purchasing it.

#6 ·
if you accidently dumped transmission fluid it has to be refilled, this can only be done from underneith the truck - there is no dipstick on these trucks.

However, I have to say, if you did dump the tranny fluid and you've been running or driving this truck, the transmission's probably cooked internally from the sounds of your description.

Post a pic of which pan you dropped the fluid from.

If your engine oil is twice the level, dump that too and start over, or you'll have very expensive damage within the engine as well.

#8 ·
that is the trans mission fluid you dumped. the engine one is at an angle in the corner of the pan in the front where the skid plate is. As far as your transmission goes, the bolt in the picture that is closest to the ground that you used to drain is the drain hole. The one right below it(in terms of picture) that sits is further up(your perspective under the truck) is the fill hole. Go to advance auto and buy Dex III. They have it as their own brand it will get the job done. Also buy a fluid pump. You want to pump fluid into that hole until it start dripping out. Close it. Turn on the car, let the car idle until it warms up. Go through all the gear with out moving a couple of times. In other words, from P to R to D. Do this a couple of times and I guess stay in each gear for a few seconds. Go under neath take that fill plug out, and pump more fluid until it starts to drip. You should be in a better shape now. Atleast you would be able to drive the car a little without risking too much damage. So just drive down the street, then come back. Check your fluid level again. Your fluid level at this point should be set right. Now whatever damage has occurred has occurred. Sadly you wont be able to change that.

I would also suggest draining some of the oil. At this point the oil isnt a big concern so while the engine is cold(before doing the transmission stuff) drain little by little until you're somewhere between fill and full on the dip stick.

Also, if they dont have Dex 3 get dex 4 which is I think IV.It's not ideal since the transmission was designed for Dex 3, but at this point any dex fluid will be better than nothing.

#9 ·
Careful with *wordage* though, as ATF 4 is also known as a Chrysler ATF, which WILL ruin these transmissions.

What you want is Dex III, NOT ATF 3 or 4

Otherwise, Medic, great post!

Goodluck Silver99 - post back and let us know how it went.

#10 ·
It's been so long since I dealt with an auto I forgot. Yes I meant dex 3 or 4. I'll see if I can edit the post

#11 ·
If you drained the ATF and drove very far, good luck. If you have not driven far, you can pump in around 3 quarts through the upper drain plug hole on the transmission, run the engine and shift through all the gears manually while idle, foot on the break of course, and then with the engine running in park parking brake on, top off the transmission, should take about another quart to a quart and a half. A one qaurt oil bottle pump can be found at most autoparts stores for a few bucks and you will need to get some clear flexible tubing for the pump to run into the transmission.

If the fluid was black you should jack up the car and change the transmission filter and fluid. It usually takes 5 quarts of Dextron III/IV fluid when dropping both pans for a filter change. Cheapest filter I have found with both of the proper gaskets is on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L30E-ISUZU...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3c8fe362a7&vxp=mtr. Expect to take about 3 hours if you have all the proper tools to get to all the bolts. There should be a post on this board on how to do this.

#12 ·
There never was a Dexron IV (4) or Dexron V (5) only Dexron VI (6) which is synthetic. Dexron III which was discontinued in 2006 is the preferred ATF. CASTROL TRANSMAX IMPORT MULTIVEHICLE ATF is a Dexron III substitute.

#14 ·
Sorry about the wait guys, been real busy right now. Finally got the oil drained and put the right amount in. I just need to still add the transmission fluid. I got some valvoline dex/merc. It says atf for vehicles requiring dex3 /mercon. Is that the right one? Can you guys describe more detailed where the bolt is to fill it? What did you guys use a funnel or a pump? Sorry but its hard to see up there.

#15 ·
silver99rodeo said:
Sorry about the wait guys, been real busy right now. Finally got the oil drained and put the right amount in. I just need to still add the transmission fluid. I got some valvoline dex/merc. It says atf for vehicles requiring dex3 /mercon. Is that the right one? Can you guys describe more detailed where the bolt is to fill it? What did you guys use a funnel or a pump? Sorry but its hard to see up there.
Look at the picture. That higher bolt is where you fluid goes in. Some suggested this pump, which in my opinion is better

I dont remember where I bought it, but it's easier to use.

I've also used this

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...ormance-tools_7070683-p?searchTerm=fluid+pump

And it's okay. A little bit more of a hassle due to room issues but it gets the job done.

They seem to keep these pumps next to the oils/gear oil/ trans oil. Just ask for the fluid pumps. if u yuou cant find it. You did get the right fluid by the way. Good luck!

P.S. go ahead and wear the dirtiest clothes you have that you also dont care about. You'll get the ATF on you and it's best to start the job telling your self it's inevitable and that you'll need to shower after.

Attachments

#18 ·
The diameter of the hose I use with my pump is also kind of large. What I did was cut the tip in the shape of a cone.
That way the smaller diameter fits in the hole and the larger part acts like a seal. Not sure if you can do the same with your hose.

Heres a pic.

#21 ·
O'reilly's has a cheap one that works on a fly....

I probably should've told you a few days ago, it's not good to allow your transmission pump to sit dry without fluid sitting around it. Same scenerio for an oil pump as well as a fuel pump. The liquid keeps them in condition.

You should be ok, but I wouldn't go too much longer.

Have you thought about having it towed to a shop to have them do it?

#23 ·
silver99rodeo said:
Sorry not yet, maybe tomorow, have to find a pump that will fit in the fill hole.
Just get one of these from the local hardware store

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/plumbing-p ... DxaJ6BMHTo

It screws into the fill hole and you slip the rubber hose on the the other end. The red pump you listed is the exact one I use for this and it fits perfectly. Just pump a couple quarts with the truck off then again running, disconnect the hose and let it drain. Then when it stops uncrew the barb adapter and let it finish draining.

#25 ·
Finally got the adapter and go it running very smoothly! Took a while but its done and running great. I bought the adapter(works great) and bought the red pump, which i didnt need since the old one worked great with it. So happy that there is no damage to the tranny or engine, it actually runs smoother and shifts alot nicer now. Tjanks guys for all the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.